• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $440 of $700 target

Final Box Score - Preseason Game 1 - Memphis

Nicholasp27

JJ = 22pts/5rb/5ass/2st/1to/2pf on 66% shooting, 80% from 3, but only 2/5 from the line

Smoove = 13pts/5rb/3ass/3st/1to/3pf on 56% shooting, 40% from 3, 1/2 from the line

Marvin = 11pts/5rb/2ass/1st/2bl/1to/2pf on 43% shooting, 5/7 from the line

Zaza = 9pt/5rb/1ass/1st/2blk/2to/1pf on 43% shooting, 3/4 from the line

Shelden = 12pt/9rb/2ass/5to/5pf on 50% shooting, 2/2 from the line

greek = 10pt/4rb/1blk/1to/4pf on 4/4 from the field, 2/3 from the line in 12 minutes

chill = 6pt/2rb/2ass/1st/1bl/4to/3pf on 38% shooting

nobody played more than 25 mins, we won 108-91, we won the first 3 quarters by 13, 7 and 3 pts

44-35 rebounds

6-5 blocks

50%-39% fg

47%-15% 3s

24-12 assists

but we did have more tos (need speedy!) and less steals

Quote:

Salim most discouraging showing. When is this guy gonna come around?

Salim isn't a PG. the sooner the Hawks management and coaching staff accepts that fact the better off we'll all be.

Salim is a role player ala Craig Hodges or Steve Kerr that can come off the bench and give you some outside scoring. that's it. neither he nor Ivey should be playing more than 6 to 8 mpg.

that's why i keep banging on us needing another PG.

Quote:

Don't let Johnny Bravo read that. He'd be absolutely crushed if he found out that Salim can't play the PG position.. or better yet that the PG position is one that requires skill not size.

i'd rather have Earl Boykins if it's PGs we're talking about.

and oh, I'm no Earl Boykins fan. how in the world are you going to get the maximum out of your young forwards which are the strength of your team if they don't have anybody to get them the ball?

see our SL team for a perfect example.

• Premium Member

I think we should have taken a chance on Brevin Knight. I was talking to Jordan and he said a future 2nd rounder would have gotten the deal done... BUT that was back when we had the perception of having Money.

We are now a Welfare team by Financial status. We are the "projects" of the NBA!

• Premium Member

The Bobcats Shopped him all summer. I thought he would be a better choice than Speedy if we had gotten some Young PG (RONDO) whom he could mentor.

Supposedly, the Bobcats want to get rid of his contract and make more room for Felton.

Won't we be fine at PG once Speedy comes back? No real need for anybody to play the point other than Speedy or TLue at that point (unless there is a foul out or - knock on wood - another injury). Unless there is a longterm injury deal i would suppose Ivey could fill in short-term.

Anyway, at this point I don't see a need for further help ant the point with the Speedy/TLue combination (meaning I see no reason for Salim to have to handle the point once the games start counting).

I think the franchise looks at Speedy as more than a stop-gap. I too would have liked it if we had made a deal to draft Rondo or Marcus, and still signed a vet like Speedy or Brevin to handle the duties in the meanwhile.

BK is obviously not fond of the position, but hopefully we go after a young prospect some time soon to grow with the team and take over the reigns when Speedy's done.

Quote:

Quote:

Salim isn't a PG. the sooner the Hawks management and coaching staff accepts that fact the better off we'll all be.

When Salim's in the game I like JJ to run the point so we can play Salim off the ball.

but i'll have to agree in this case.

why move someone out of position (in this case JJ) in order to accomodate someone who doesn't really have a position?

Quote:

I think we should have taken a chance on Brevin Knight. I was talking to Jordan and he said a future 2nd rounder would have gotten the deal done.

Charlotte has promised Brevin that he won't be moved unless it's somewhere that he wants to go. I don't think he wants to come here, so we couldn't get him. Besides, I can't imagine Charlotte letting him go for a 2nd rounder. He has been phenomenal for them, even though he is now the backup. That would be like us trading Lue for a 2nd rounder now that we have speedy.

• Moderators

Quote:

Quote:

I think we should have taken a chance on Brevin Knight. I was talking to Jordan and he said a future 2nd rounder would have gotten the deal done.

Charlotte has promised Brevin that he won't be moved unless it's somewhere that he wants to go. I don't think he wants to come here, so we couldn't get him. Besides, I can't imagine Charlotte letting him go for a 2nd rounder. He has been phenomenal for them, even though he is now the backup. That would be like us trading Lue for a 2nd rounder now that we have speedy.

Actually, it would be worse than giving Lue away for a 2nd rounder since they started both Lue and Knight last year together and started them together the first preseason game. Why give away someone you consider a potential starter for a 2nd rounder?

The reality is that unless he can run some PG, Salim is going to see EXTREMELY limited minutes on this team because both Speedy and T Lue are undersized. We can't play many minutes with Speedy (or T Lue) at PG and Salim at SG so right now, the only way Salim can play a lot is if JJ (or Chillz) is on the floor as well. If Salim wants minutes, he had better show that he can run some PG while Chillz is at SG or my guess is that he won't play more than 15 mpg this season.

Quote:

The reality is that unless he can run some PG, Salim is going to see EXTREMELY limited minutes on this team because both Speedy and T Lue are undersized...

I have to agree here. Not to bash Salim, but since we have two real (albeit maybe not great) PGs, and if the team is otherwise effective offensively speaking, why bother with creating a spot for him? If the players really buy into playing unselfishly and finding the open man we have enough good shooters already...and we realistically can't play two 6 footers at the same time (nor would we want to). No need to weaken the defense.

Salim's a heckuva shooter and likely has a good future in the NBA but the way this team is put together he may be the odd man out.

On those nights (and there will be some) that our main scorers aren't making shots, hopefully he can come in and get it going because the man can score. Unfortunately for him, scoring is really the only thing he brings to the table right now so when his shot is not falling, he likely won't be on the floor long. That is why I want him to keep working on his PG skills. I think he could actually be a starting PG in this league one day. He has a ways to go but he COULD do it.