• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $440 of $700 target

Final Box Score - Preseason Game 1 - Memphis

Nicholasp27

Quote:

Quote:

The reality is that unless he can run some PG, Salim is going to see EXTREMELY limited minutes on this team because both Speedy and T Lue are undersized...

I have to agree here. Not to bash Salim, but since we have two real (albeit maybe not great) PGs, and if the team is otherwise effective offensively speaking, why bother with creating a spot for him? If the players really buy into playing unselfishly and finding the open man we have enough good shooters already...and we realistically can't play two 6 footers at the same time (nor would we want to). No need to weaken the defense.

Salim's a heckuva shooter and likely has a good future in the NBA but the way this team is put together he may be the odd man out.

Because having someone who could score 30 on any given night off of the bench is something that most teams, even good ones, don't have. Remember he is probably our highest scoring rookie in 4 years.

Quote:

Because having someone who could score 30 on any given night off of the bench is something that most teams, even good ones, don't have. Remember he is probably our highest scoring rookie in 4 years.

True. He's a great player to have on the bench, like a Ben Gordon lite. Also, he's great to have for those last possessions when you are down by 2 or 3.

Quote:

I say let him be a SG. Chill sets the offense better than he does. Pair the two of them up and let Salim go off.

Don't forget however that Chill had more TO than Salim did the other night. I mean we had 24 TO overall. So we can't really put all this on Salim, we had a bad night handling the ball, which was overshadowed by our offense.

Quote:

...Also, he's great to have for those last possessions when you are down by 2 or 3.

I still say the league needs to adopt my 5/5 rule. Any shot from the other side of the center line is worth 5 points with under 5 minutes to play. That would jazz up those 15 point blowouts. Who wouldn't stick around for the last few minutes of a game to watch the shooters launch desparation 60 footers. Salim would have a whole new value to our team. I can hear the ESPN guys now:

"Salim Stoudamire has been working on his ball handling to get some minutes at the PG position. It's a work in progress, but there is no denying that he has 5 point range on his shot" grin.gif

I'm not sure he is ready to run the offense as a PG or even a point forward. That said, if Marvin is on the floor at SF with Salim and Chillz, between the 3 of them, MAYBE they will be able to get it up the floor and get us into our offense. If Smoove is in there at SF with Chillz at SG and Salim at PG though, it would scare me to death.

Quote:

I'm not sure he is ready to run the offense as a PG or even a point forward...

Granted Speedy is currently injured - but this comment applies more to the upcoming regular season. With Speedy starting and TLue backing him up, why would we experiment with anything else? Many of us have bemoaned the Hawks deficiency at the point much of last year - now it looks like the problem should be solved. There's no need to chance Chillz getting the ball up the court (IMHO).

My plan would be: 1.) Give the ball to Speedy 1A.) When he needs a rest, give the ball to TLue

I think JJ/Chillz in the backcourt will be fine, particularly with Marvin at SF. I think the 3 of them can get it up against pressure and then any of them can likely inititiate the offense. I think the lineup you mentioned will be effective at times and fun to watch as well.

Quote:

Quote:

True. He's a great player to have on the bench, like a Ben Gordon lite. Also, he's great to have for those last possessions when you are down by 2 or 3.

are you guys doing the math on how many minutes it would take someone to hoist up enought shots to score 30 shooting less than 45% from the field?

• Moderators

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

are you guys doing the math on how many minutes it would take someone to hoist up enought shots to score 30 shooting less than 45% from the field?

I think the assumption is that nights he scores around 30 he would be shooting a higher percentage from the field.

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

I think the assumption is that nights he scores around 30 he would be shooting a higher percentage from the field.

you can assume whatever you'd like but it still doesn't make Salim "scoring 30 off the bench on any given night" realistic.

• Moderators

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

you can assume whatever you'd like but it still doesn't make Salim "scoring 30 off the bench on any given night" realistic.

When he scored 30 last year he shot 11 of 15 from the field and shot 24 of 44 in his games with 20+ points.

I guess it all depends on how you read "any given night." I think that is overstating things but that he will be a threat to go off on any given night and hit some big shots.

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

When he scored 30 last year he shot 11 of 15 from the field and shot 24 of 44 in his games with 20+ points.

I guess it all depends on how you read "any given night." I think that is overstating things but that he will be a threat to go off on any given night and hit some big shots.

i didn't realize he'd dropped 30 last season