• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

The Good and the Bad.

Diesel

• Premium Member

I find that Pre-season games are more meaningful than SL games, but not much more meaningful.

The Good

JJ dominated and didn't play 40 minutes!

Shelden had very good rebounding numbers and even shoved somebody.

The Big Greek... 4-4... maybe a guy we can count on off the bench.

The Bad

No Gasol. Say what you want to say... Gasol is Memphis. Their whole offense revolves around Gasol. Without Gasol, they may fall victim to Me, Lascar, Walt, KB, and GSUTEKE... With Chllzatl and Hots off the bench.

Turnovers. Young teams make them.

Three pointers. Good teams make them.

What's really neat is that it seems as I have read here elsewhere that we have learned how to put a bad team away early.. That's great.

Go Hawks!

man I am so out of shape..... LOL

the only exercise you'll be getting out of me is walking 18.

and btw I see your point but taken literally I'd have to disagree. I think Walter is the kid who would pout and not pass the ball in 4th grade.

subsequently how would you perform with KB constantly threatening to go internet gangster on you if you miss some shots? i dunno Diesel.......

forgot about him last night. he wasn't mentioned on the pregame telecast as being injured.

i really wonder where he fits in. i know he's got a somewhat cult-like following by some on the board but when you start to acquire talent like the Hawks are currently doing roster spaces start to dwindle.

• Premium Member

I believe I can outrebound Big Jake.

If Walt starts to pout and hold the Ball, we sub in Hots... He's going to be disinterested and pessimistic about our chances, but at least he will pass!

Can you see the news chat after the game:

Reporter: Hots, how do you feel about the win?

Hots: Those guys just suck. I don't care if we ever win again.

Reporter: Hots, what do you think about the brawl that ensued between Gsuteke and KB.

Hots: At first, I wanted to get in the middle but then I said "let em fight". It's like TO and McNabb all over again.

Reporter: Why not break up the fight, that is your team... right?

Hots: I do question why I am here, That's not to create a story, but it's just like, I want to win. I came here to help this team win. And they're fighting like schoolgirls.

Very possible. But it wouldn't kill Este to hit the NBDL would it? Is he elgible for NBDL?

Its not like Lorenzen is gonna be around forever, there would still be room for Este and Solomon down the road if not right now.

I hate to get excited about the Greek having never seen him play, but if he can bring some physicality to the squad and help back up the 5, it would be a great help. Let Shelden get more time at the 4, and other than at shooting guard, we'd basically be platooning guys at every position, without too much separation between some of the "starters" and the "backups". I don't know how realistic it is, but I get the sense that this team is legitimately unselfish enough as a whole to get really caught up in who starts and who doesn't.

You can "start" Smith and Marvin to try and keep them on the same page, but adjust throughout the game to maintain the right balance, and another C would help a lot with that.

The way I look at our squad is this:

Speedy - Lue - Ivey

JJ - Chill - Salim

Marvin/Smith - Chill

Smith/Marvin(to "start" the game) - Shelden - Lo

Zaza - Lo - Greek

The backups here are all guys who can thrive in that role, and the "starters" are all the guys you need to make sure are happiest long term.

Batista gets time in blowouts, or deepens either post position with injuries. I don't know the NBDL rules, but if possible, it would be great to have Batista, Solomon, Bozeman, and Freije all developing down there.

Don't count Este out, he needs an oportunity. Remember last year's first preseason game against the Bobcats, Este scored 15 and you all were thinking the Hawks got another version of Moses Malone. I mean, the greek guy played one game and Este becomes a casualty even without the oportunity to see the floor in the first (remember that) PRESEASON GAME. all of a sudden, Shelden is Karl Malone 2 and all your previous thoughts are gone with the wind. I speak of many of you guys, not anybody in particular.

Quote:

Don't count Este out, he needs an oportunity. Remember last year's first preseason game against the Bobcats, Este scored 15 and you all were thinking the Hawks got another version of Moses Malone. I mean, the greek guy played one game and Este becomes a casualty even without the oportunity to see the floor in the first (remember that) PRESEASON GAME. all of a sudden, Shelden is Karl Malone 2 and all your previous thoughts are gone with the wind. I speak of many of you guys, not anybody in particular.

Billy makes the decisions, not I. all I do is add color commentary.

Quote:

Don't count Este out...

Yeah, what would be nice would be if the Greek guy actually can provide depth at the 5 spot though. 7'1" is a nice height. Granted it may make for a roster numbers crunch but maybe the coach/gm could get creative with injury status and the like and keep them all available (not sure if this can be done but it is in the nfl). Anyway, sooner of later a big is gonna get banged up. I'd hate to see Este have to go to the nbdl.

You're absolutely right. I posted that under the premise that the Greek would end up being a solid contributor. I haven't concluded that in any way and haven't seen him play yet, so I have no idea what I think about him.

My HOPE is that he's good enough to give us the flexibility to develop Batista in the NBDL, and to have Batista available for us for the long term.

I like Este a lot. I would be as happy as anyon if he beats others out to stay on the team, and he becomes an integral part of the team sooner rather than later. My biggest concern though is keeping him around even if he's not getting PT early on.

For all I know the Greek's a giant stiff with no chance to get regular minutes.

• Premium Member

My statement on the matter is what if the big man does score a contract.

Because of our lack of size at C, he would definitely have to be considered for a BU position.. Especially if he keeps putting up good numbers.

if that happens, Shell, Lo could be our PFs because both guys have to be in the rotation.

With a 3 PF rotation, where does that leave Este?

In the NBDL.

however, I still like the fact that Lo is only signed for 2 years.

maybe pissed is not exactly the term, i wouldn't be happy. I truly believe that Esteban has what is needed to be in the active roster. He will push the greek giant to the max for a roster spot. On the other hand, i don't know anything about the NBDL level, and i don't think if it's good for a player. maybe you're right, and Esteban has to play there to improve, but i still think he will surprise many people in the very near future, i saw him play against Tiago Splitter, Rafael Araujo, Anderson Varejao, Luis Scola,Daniel Santiago, Peter Ramos and many other big guys that might not be Shaq but are good enough, and Este really excells against them.

Quote:

maybe pissed is not exactly the term, i wouldn't be happy. I truly believe that Esteban has what is needed to be in the active roster. He will push the greek giant to the max for a roster spot. On the other hand, i don't know anything about the NBDL level, and i don't think if it's good for a player. maybe you're right, and Esteban has to play there to improve, but i still think he will surprise many people in the very near future, i saw him play against Tiago Splitter, Rafael Araujo, Anderson Varejao, Luis Scola,Daniel Santiago, Peter Ramos and many other big guys that might not be Shaq but are good enough, and Este really excells against them.

Esteban needs to play, if it has to be in NBDL so be it.

BTW he played ok against Shaq.