• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

I hate Al Harrington fans!

terrynoonan

• Moderators

I think you are going overboard with the hate here. Al was no worse for our team than Antoine Walker was and I am saying this as a huge Kentucky fan. Harrington handled himself with class and was productive for us. He was a flawed player but that doesn't mean that he was some kind of worthless black hole. The Shareef comparison is a good one because in my opinion both of them could be productive members of a winning team in their prime where they were not expected to be leading players on the team. Harrington didn't do anything to tank this team or to hurt the franchise, IMO. No reason to do anything but wish him well and hope our young guys more than fill his shoes this season.

No way! Walker was an older player here on a sinking ship. In large part to the great play of guys like Harrington, who were supposed to be budding stars with "talent".

He can obviously still contribute. At a championship level.

I don't even like Walker but he played with a desire to win that guys like Al don't have.

Antoine could help this team. The one without Al.

WOW!

I think Al's game has flaws and he was a black hole on offense, but he was also productive for the most part. Walker took more ill-advised shots, but I think he was still a good thing for our etam. he was about all we had to lean on.

I think Al dominated the ball too much and disrupted the flow of the game, but for the most part he cerated decent scoring opportunities and was dependable on the offensive end.

On defense I think he was a non-factor, he wasn't as bad as some think, but he certainly wasn't dedicated to working hard on that end.

Considering how bad our team was, I think Al did all he could do and handled himself with a lot of class in a frustrating atmosphere.

Can't believe the venom.

• Premium Member

We decided to go in a different direction.. Not Al.

How do you blame Al for not being here when it was us who drafted Marvin. It was us who could have resigned Al for what INdy did... It was us, who put him on the trading blocks.

We called for Life without Al.

Quote:

No way! Walker was an older player here on a sinking ship. In large part to the great play of guys like Harrington, who were supposed to be budding stars with "talent".

He can obviously still contribute. At a championship level.

I don't even like Walker but he played with a desire to win that guys like Al don't have.

Antoine could help this team. The one without Al.

Walker "an older player"?!? He was 28 years old when he came to us! That's a player's prime. He plays more like an old player but he certainly wasn't any measure of "older" than Harrington this past year, who as a straight out of HS player has more wear on him than his age would indicate.

When a player's prime is made an excuse for one person and condemns another, it makes no sense. Your loathing of Harrington is nonsense. He wasn't as bad on defense as most insist and he is good not great on offense but he's still a good player, person, and even teamate. Certainly not someone deserving of such ire as we did not spend much to acquire him and he gave us, a horrible team who increasingly removed him from their plans with forward after forward after forward, after forward after forward drafted, some of his best years.

He's the exact opposite of SW actually. He's a tweener forward not a true Pf, he's stronger offensively rather than defensively, and he's as good offensively as SW is defensively and vice versa. Quit glamourizing defense to such an extent that the players that make their living off of it are somehow these self-less, ego-less, team only players and players who are better at offense are the scum of the league. It takes all types and looking at our team last year we needed Harrington's offense whether we liked it or not. I wish he was a better defender than he is. I wish SAR and Walker were too. They weren't. SAR and Walker cost us more to get them so I'm more disappointed in their returns honestly.

W

What are you talking about?

Marvin is the exact opposite of that selfish, no d playing hack.

Can anyone tell me that we won't be better without Al?

He was asked to be a man and play 4 for us.

He isn't.

He's a kid. A kid who never learned how to be a team player.

His decision making flaws were masked when on a veteran pacer team.

I don't blame the guy for taking the money, just that we were giving it to him.

...and just for the record, I'm not an Al Harrington "fan". I'm not anti-Al either...I think he was a poor fit with the direction of the team and the timing. Has he never been a HAwk, I think he could ghave fit in later. JJ needs to establish this as JJ's team, then we could have used Al as a complement. I have a feeling Al saw it as their team collectively, and it just wouldn't have worked out that way.

JJ could be a trancendental kind of player for the Hawks franchise, Al is a terrific complementary piece on a good team.

How is it over the top to be a good evaluator of talent.

I've known why we were losing each of the last 7 years.

It's all good though. We will play ball that our city can be proud of this year.

My main complaint with Al was his intellect. He didn't understand why he made us a worse team and stalled the franchise.

It's all about being close to 20 and 10.

Bet that's what his agent tells him.

Quote:

Awesome. I am honestly disgusted by your negative attitude towards Al, but then again it is so completely outrageous and absurdly over the top that I sort of appreciate it too.

I'm not interested in giving my opinion on Al right now, but love how you phrased this. It describes how I feel about posters from time to time.

Quote:

I'll refer everyone to my previous posts concerning this.

If you love the Hawks how could you love someone that did that to them?

Go be a Pacer fan if you wanted that guy to stay. He did nothing to help the TEAM.

He's just stealing money. Is it really entertainment to watch Al hoist up shots?

Please tell me you are not being serious. Al is far from a great player and was wrongly forced into a leading role here in Atlanta but to hate a guy who played hard, had a great attitude and a reasonable contract is moronic.

I still say that the Hawks biggest mistake with Harrington, was not keeping JT here for one more year, so that he could possibly establish himself as being "the man".

Not saying that would've worked either, but when they traded JT for Toine, that killed any chance of Harrington establishing himself as the go-to guy on this team.

Al will always be a good complimentary player in this league. But with the Pacers, he's only replacing what Peja gave them last year, plus a few more defensive rebounds.

That's why people shouldn't expect the Pacers to be a playoff lock this year. They might not even get there.

And LOL @ Walter still finding a way to take a dig at Shelden. The thread wasn't even about him, yet, he still found a way to dig at Shelden.

(( shaking my head )) . . you need help man.