• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Are playoffs a realistic goal?

crheinisch

From what we have seen/heard from last nights game it has gotten a lot of us really excited and thinking playoffs. Well i for one feel the same way and have felt the same way since the signing of speedy (and he didnt even play last night). I was looking at last years playoff teams and seeing where this hawks team has a chance of getting in.

Detroit: I see them slipping down maybe a spot or two without big ben.

Heat: we know they will be back with shaq and co.

New Jersey: they will be there again with kidd leading the way. This team is what i see the hawks possibly looking like in the near future.

Clevland: With lebron you say they will be back but he is going to need some help.

Washington: i like gilbert and but i see this team maybe struggling a bit this year.

Indiana:Bring in harrington and edwards i expect huge things from these two and see them being a better defense than the championship detroit teams becasue of them. No but really if O'neil gets hurt they could easily miss the playoffs.

Chicago: I think they will make the biggest jump. I see them moving in to the top 3 or 4 playoff spots.

Milwaukee: Dont see the playoffs but they will be fighting for a spot come the end of the regular season.

that leaves philly, boston toronto, new york, orlando, charlotte and the hawks. Of the teams that did not make it last year i only see atlanta, philly, boston, and orlando with a fighting chance. I see the hawks grabing a 6 or 7 seed in this years playoffs which would be anywhere from 40-42 wins. what does everyone else think?

• Admin

THis is the same overreaction I was talking about earlier. IF we lost last night or SHeldon played badly the team and he would be a bust. We had a good first PRESEASON game. All the sudden everyone is thinking playoffs. Its a wait and see situation. You can not judge anything based on a preseason game other then if the guys are healthy.

I believe the playoffs are a realistic goal, but they aren't a realistic expectation. I sure hope this team has a goal of making the playoffs. Saying "we want to win 36 games this year" sounds pretty crummy.

For us, though, I don't think we should expect this team to make the playoffs. If we do, we will most likely be disappointed. I expect substantial improvement. I hope the players' goal is the playoffs.

Teams like Orlando and Philadelphia will get the last 2spots for the playoffs in the East. I see the Hawks winning about 35games.

Magic: 42wins 7th seed

Philly: 41wins 8th seed

Bocats: 37wins

Milwaukee: 39wins

Boston: 37wins(tie with Cats)

Hawks: 35wins

Knicks: 27wins

Quote:

I believe the playoffs are a realistic goal, but they aren't a realistic expectation.

That's my stance.

I think Smoove maintains consistency and maintains AK47 comparisons. I think Marvin maintains improvement but not to the point where he's ready to step in when JJ is having an off night. I think JJ maintains improvement but not to the point where he can carry our team, especially against constant double teams.

I think Speedy will eventually be able to lead from the PG slot, but it will be too little too late for a playoff push. I think Zaza continues to impress as a rebounder and low post presence, but not enough to scare playoff teams. I think Landlord goes through the typical NBA learning curve.

By the end of the season we'll be vastly improved and have scared a lot of playoff teams and garnered a lot of positive publicity. We still aren't ready yet to crash the party though. Hopefully next season we'll have a free ownership, a contract extension for Woody, and a realistic expectation of the playoffs.

Quote:

Quote:

I believe the playoffs are a realistic goal, but they aren't a realistic expectation.

That's my stance.

I think Smoove maintains consistency and maintains AK47 comparisons. I think Marvin maintains improvement but not to the point where he's ready to step in when JJ is having an off night. I think JJ maintains improvement but not to the point where he can carry our team, especially against constant double teams.

I think Speedy will eventually be able to lead from the PG slot, but it will be too little too late for a playoff push. I think Zaza continues to impress as a rebounder and low post presence, but not enough to scare playoff teams. I think Landlord goes through the typical NBA learning curve.

By the end of the season we'll be vastly improved and have scared a lot of playoff teams and garnered a lot of positive publicity. We still aren't ready yet to crash the party though. Hopefully next season we'll have a free ownership, a contract extension for Woody, and a realistic expectation of the playoffs.

I agree. Playoffs should always be the team goal. But from a fans standpoint, they are not yet a realistic expectation for me.

I do think there will be nights when Smoove and/or Marvin step up big. But as with most young players, the every game consistentcy will come in their 3rd and 4th years.

Playoffs next year should be everyones' expectations. I know for a fact they will be mine...

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

That's my stance.

I agree. Playoffs should always be the team goal. But from a fans standpoint, they are not yet a realistic expectation for me.

I do think there will be nights when Smoove and/or Marvin step up big. But as with most young players, the every game consistentcy will come in their 3rd and 4th years.

Playoffs next year should be everyones' expectations. I know for a fact they will be mine...

Who cares whether the goal is realistic or unrealistic for us anyway? We don't determine the outcome of games. What did you think that if we all think the team can be a playoff team that somehow we'd jinx them or something?

The difference between a fan and an observer is that a fan should be somewhat delusional.. which is why fan is short for fanatic. An objective fan is an oxymoron.

Quote:

...What did you think that if we all think the team can be a playoff team that somehow we'd jinx them or something?

The difference between a fan and an observer is that a fan should be somewhat delusional.. which is why fan is short for fanatic. An objective fan is an oxymoron.

Agreed JB...that's why I'm predicting 41-41. I think this team will have a few winning streaks that make the league pundits take notice. (of course they will jump on the bandwagon immediately and act like they saw the improvement coming all along from the young Hawks)

I think 40 wins could actually be realistic this year (and not just because of the 1st pre-season game). The Hawks could be a real pain-in-the-ass team for opponents coming into Phillips this year. If the guys stay up and hustling and the young legs stay strong, we could keep the pace fast and hopefully see some teams just give up if they get behind.

Teams that should be a playoff lock:

- Cleveland

- Detroit

- Miami

- New Jersey

- Chicago

Possibly move Washington up to that group.

Every other team could be shuffled throughout the Eastern Conference deck.

It all depends on how the Hawks start the season. If they can stay around the .500 mark until January, they have as good of a shot as anybody to make the playoffs.

But we can't fall 5 - 6 games below .500 before that time.

I think we were a 32 win team last year but we had a horrible start (Collier's death), poor ball control and our inside defense sucked.

With....

Speedy --> fewer t/o, better control of game --> +5 games

Lo/Shell/Jimmy (The Greek)? --> better inside presence, better Defense --> +5 games

Smoove, Marvin --> gel, growth --> +3 games

Woodie --> growth, dealt a complete hand, we win more of the closer games --> +3 games

All that --> 26+16= 42 games.

2006-07 Hawks --> PLAYOFFS

Quote:

Who cares whether the goal is realistic or unrealistic for us anyway? We don't determine the outcome of games. What did you think that if we all think the team can be a playoff team that somehow we'd jinx them or something?

Who cares? You must or why would my little post get under your skin. As far as an objective fan goes, you are right. The word fan is a derivative of fanatic. But as with all things in this world, there are different shades of grey; just as there are different levels of pain.

The flip side of this ridiculous assumption that I am thinking I may jinx them is what do you think, if you expect them to be in the playoffs, you will be able to will them in? What a moron!

Get over yourself dude. You are either to stupid to realize the different levels of fanaticism or just needed something negative to post...

Quote:

The flip side of this ridiculous assumption that I am thinking I may jinx them is what do you think, if you expect them to be in the playoffs, you will be able to will them in? What a moron!

I was wondering the same thing. I'm a fanatic cheering the Hawks on louder than the thousands of Blazers fans when they come to town. I'm just not a fanatic in the sense that I get carried away and think we're a legit playoff team. Does that make me less of a fan, maybe. Does that make me a little more sensible, definitely.