• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

The guy I wanted

CBAreject

I guess you could argue that we don't need him now that we have Speedy, but I sure would've liked to have this younger, cheaper option, even as a backup.

Here are his first 3 preseason lines:

31 min, 8 pts, 7 ast

32 min, 21 pts, 7 ast

28 min, 16 pts, 9 ast

Not a world-beater, but those assist numbers are mighty impressive for a 20 year-old in his first pro action. It's only preseason, so I guess we'll need some more time to see if my trade idea was a good one or not.

Chill for Williams

Quote:

31 min, 8 pts, 7 ast

32 min, 21 pts, 7 ast

28 min, 16 pts, 9 ast

Not a world-beater, but those assist numbers are mighty impressive for a 20 year-old in his first pro action. It's only preseason, so I guess we'll need some more time to see if my trade idea was a good one or not.

He's a better or at least truer Pg than Speedy. I'd just have assumed trading down for Williams as I don't think SW solves any more problems than he creates.

My 2006 draft preferences:

NA: trade up for Bargnani

1) draft Roy

2) draft Foye

3a) trade down for Sene

3b) trade down for M. Williams

4a) trade up from 2nd rd or (way) down for Rajon Rondo

4b) trade up from 2nd rd for Sergio Rodriguez

(gap)

5) Draft Gay, immediately trading him

6a) Draft SW

6b) O'Bryant

W

• Premium Member

Quote:

I guess you could argue that we don't need him now that we have Speedy, but I sure would've liked to have this younger, cheaper option, even as a backup.

Here are his first 3 preseason lines:

31 min, 8 pts, 7 ast

32 min, 21 pts, 7 ast

28 min, 16 pts, 9 ast

Not another Paul Vs Williams debate! Are we going to have to go thru this every year? We should have taken this guy or that guy. Let this team take shape first before passing judgement please!!!!!!!!!

Even if trading Chill for Marcus would make us better, something I wouldn't do, we would never do it because trading a 6 pick for a 20-something pick would just make us look like fools. The two draft classes I think will be historically similar of quality and depth. Chill is more important than most people think, too.

We did the right thing. We got a veteran (but still young) PG to run the team at a decent price. Another young guy won't help us this year I think.

And it still wouldn't address our defensive issues on the inside.

For a team that didn't have a real PG, the offense functioned pretty well. We shot around 45% FG as a team and averaged 97 ppg. If the defense would've been better, then we would've had a better record last year.

For the record, Ty Lue pretty much put up the same numbers after the Walker trade in the 03 - 04 season, as Mr. Williams is doing now. Matter of fact, Ty played pretty damn well as a scoring PG for this team during that stretch.

His problem was that he couldn't defend anybody.

And that will eventually be Marcus' problem in this league.

Defensively, this team has to get much better. If not, it really doesn't matter who we have running the point or what kind of offensive weapon we add to this team.

This year, it has to begin and END with Defense.

I would have done it. I was and am bullish on Marcus - love his game. There's nothing a PG needs to do that he doesn't do well. His character and conditioning are the only doubts in my mind, and I think one has a lot to do with the other.

The articles about him that I've read suggest that he knows what kind of mistake he made, and he'll be a better person for it. If that's just some fluff piece journalism and he's really a problem child, then things could go in the wrong direction, but I think he'll be a stud.

I think he'll be on the same level as Paul and Felton, I think they'll all be long time winners in the league.

Would I have traded Chill for him, straight up? I think you could get more in return, but as for the main components of the deal...hell yeah! I'd trade a guy who will be our 6th man, do it all utility guy for a future franchise PG any day of the week.

Quote:

Let this team take shape first before passing judgement please!

Um....when I said this...

Quote:

It's only preseason, so I guess we'll need some more time to see if my trade idea was a good one or not.

...it meant that I wasn't passing judgement just yet. See where I said "we'll need some time to see"?

Do you just not read or what?

First off, I made a mistake on the season I was talking about. It was the 2004 - 05 season, not the 03 - 04 season.

Second, I said that Lue played pretty well AFTER the Antoine Walker trade. His play didn't translate into wins, but he did put up some good numbers playing PG.

Walker was traded at the deadline, which is around mid-February.

Take a look at Lue's numbers from about the end of February, until the end of the season.

181 assists in 31 games. Which is right at 5.84 assists a game. In that stretch, he had a 10, an 11, and a 14 assist game.

http://basketballreference.com/players/pla...4&ilkid=LUETY01