• Replies 95
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

Quote:

how are you guys listening?

NBA Audio League Pass . . . . it's free all PRESEASON. When the regular season starts, you'll have to pay.

And for furure reference, if an NBA preseason game isn't played in a NBA arena, the internet play-by-play will not be posted until after the game is over. Sometimes, you may find some exceptions to the rule, if they're playing in a newer arena. But most of the time, if they're playing on a neutral floor, you can't get the net play-by-play in real time.

5:35 to go

Hawks 68

Magic 95

ouch.

Quote:

...haven't exactly been carrying the load tonight - 95 - 68.

It only validates how important JJ is to this team. Marvin and Smoove will be good complimentary pieces to JJ. Maybe by season's end, one of them will step up and be the solid #2 guy.

LOL . . this is another reason why we just can't up and get rid of Salim. If Marvin and Smoove are off of their games, you may see the Hawks go with a lineup like this:

G - Speedy

G - Salim

G/F - JJ

F - Shelden

C - ZaZa

That'll give Speedy 2 shooters to pass the ball to on the wings. Salim may thrive in a lineup like that, where all he has to think about is shooting the ball.

Quote:

Este, the Greek, Royal, Lo (yes Lo),

I think you're worrying a little too much. These guys are backing up our backups, except for Lo, and even that's kind of a question.

Este - 3rd, 4th string PF/C, a guy whose future with the team is being openly questioned by posters, some wondering if he'll even be on the active roster...

Greek - even lower on the totem pole than Este coming in, 3rd string center potential, maybe one day a backup big man, but he's a upside only kind of guy, anything he gives us is pure gravy...

Royal - Now the 3rd string PG, and if you throw Salim and JJ in the mix at that position, he's even lower, he's a second round pick who has done pretty well just by staying on the squad by playing his role and wrking hard on D...

Lo - Backup big man, the only legit #2 big man on this list, and even that is debatable if we try Shelden at the 5.

The guys you mention don't accurately represent a list of the Hawks our backups, they're basically our third string, end of our bench, practice squad, NBDL type material. Tey should struggle as a complete unit against other NBA talent, albeit backup talent.

Our true "backups" are Lue, Salim, Childress, Shelden and Lo. If Shelden makes it into the starting lineup, you throw Marvin or Josh in that mix.

I didn't get to listen, but checking this thread it didn't look like even Marvin and Josh had that much time on the floor with decent players around them. This looks like a scrimmage at best.

I'm glad we got to give everyone some run in a live action situation. It probably helps the staff determine who will be on the active roster come playing time.

Quote:

...I didn't get to listen, but checking this thread it didn't look like even Marvin and Josh had that much time on the floor with decent players around them. This looks like a scrimmage at best...

You are pretty much right Sheed, the real killer was the lack of a PG IMO. It's OK I suppose but I hate to see JS, MW, and Shelden having to look like poop. Both Speedy and TLue being gone was a real wake-up. Actually it's a shame that TLue wasn't in there since the bigs (even backup - backup bigs) didn't get a real tryout without a PG at least getting the ball down the court without it being a worry. I don't mind us being at a dis-advantage - but being a joke-mess is a different story - even in pre-season.

From the radio it seemed like we competed inside for awhile - then it just got silly. Anybody who thinks Shelden wasn't a good pick is wrong...he competes. Zaza, JSmoove, Marvin, and Shelden will be just fine inside.

I thought Sheldon at the 5 would be a mistake...now I'm reconsidering.

Quote:

Quote:

I thought Sheldon at the 5 would be a mistake...now I'm reconsidering.

There is no reason to play Shelden at the 5!

Unless he's better at the 5 than our backup...Smoove is primarily a three but plays at four (sometimes)...so Shelden is primarily a four that plays at five (sometimes)...skill is more important than anything. We often look too much at height (IMO)....there have been plenty of tough 6'7" and 6'8" centers. Shelden is 6'9" and tough - why the concern? Plus he has skills.

• Premium Member

Quote:

we are getting out rebounded massively every game (45-31 in today's game). this is going to be a huge problem. whatever borderline backup we keep needs to be big and tough - don't know how tough the greek is, but he sure is BIG!

Some of that is us being short handed up front, some of it was our poor shooting percentage vs their great shooting percentage, part of it was that small line up that Woodsen played the majority of the game with Shelden at center and Josh smith a PF against 2 7 footers. What was that all about? Play Glyniadakis more please!!

• Premium Member

Quote:

Shelden is 6'9" and tough - why the concern? Plus he has skills.

Uuuh, in case you didn't notice, Smoove had like 2 rebounds playing power forward. Kinda hard for Shelden to account for rebounds that the center and the power foward is suppose to get. Plus its a matter of whether Smoove is blocking his man out. Shelden is a good rebounder and defensive player but he needs help.