• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

official Orlando/Atlanta thread

gsuteke

They won't listen to you DJ.

If Shelden at the 5 is better than Lo at the 5, then you play Shelden at the 5 sometimes.

It's amazing how the Squawkers give Josh Smith a free pass, while Salim takes the brunt of the criticizm.

I guess nobody noticed that Smoove had 5 turnovers tonight and shot 2 - 8 from the field. Didn't he have 5 turnovers in the last game? This is the guy that a lot of you are hyping up to be the "next big thing" here. He's good, but his game needs a lot . . A LOT of work.

Preseason, from a team standpoint, can't tell you much. But individual performances sure can.

What we know from this year's preseason:

- JJ is the leader of this team. And he may have to think about scoring 25+ ppg ( or jack up 20+ shots a game ) in order for us to win games.

- Marvin looks like he'll be the one that will be the #2 scorer, and might be the best slasher on the team, but has to still learn how to be a scorer.

- Smoove's perimeter game has improved, which may not be a good thing for us, seeing that he'll settle for too many jumpers.

- Salim can't play the point, and his shot is way off for now .. lol . . but he still has confidence.

- Childress is Childress . . the "glue" of the Hawks.

- Shelden is a lot stronger than even I thought he was, and that will bode well for this team from a toughness standpoint

- Lue is solid, but still can't play defense.

• Replies 95
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

Agreed...but as much as I have dissed Zaza as far as being a top ten center...he is a big help to a guy like Shelden. Josh Smith (or Marvin are too).

Realistically Shelden needs Zaza IMO...maybe Lo and Este can do it to but I doubt it. JS can play PF as long as he wants to - which I doubt is long. Therefore, Shelden will have to be what he always said he was - a proto-typical power forward...and a center when there is nobody better to man the spot.

• Premium Member

Quote:

If Shelden at the 5 is better than Lo at the 5, then you play Shelden at the 5 sometimes.

Then who will you play at power forward while Shelden is at center? Please don't say Josh Smith!

Quote:

It's amazing how the Squawkers give Josh Smith a free pass, while Salim takes the brunt of the criticizm.

If you have been on this board long, I've gone on record as saying that josh Smith is yet to develop skills to be a starter in this league at any position. People keep talking about his sm. forward skills and I just don't see them. Conversely, Marvin has all of the skills necessary to be a very good small forward already.

Quote:

Quote:

Then who will you play at power forward while Shelden is at center? ...

Ahhhh, there's the rub. I think you play JSmoove at PF and MW at the SF and JJ (or JChillz) at the two and Speedy (or TLue) at the 1. Marvin takes up the missing minutes.

JChillz will also get his minutes as a 2-3-4 (yes 4 when need be). The Greek is 7'1" and 280 lbs, but he is nowhere near as effective as Shelden in the 5 spot.

The only thing and only one thing that i hate about Smoove's game is that he is not agressive at times. He is shooting way to many jumpers. The guy is probably the most athletic player in the league, but he doesn't attack the basket and he doesn't use that ability.

Joe can afford to shoot jumpers because he can flat out shoot, Smoove is not there yet. If Smoove continues to play around perimeter it can only hurt him. For example if he is ON he will shoot 7-10 and when he is off he will be 2-15, we can't afford that.

But if he goes hard to the hoop than he can be 2-7 and 9-11 on his free throws and he wont hurt the team. That's what Marvin is doing and i like that.

One reason I think that Smoove wants to shoot jumpers is because he is not confident when handling the ball, which of course you have to be a good ball handler to go hard to the hole.

If Smoove strugles with his outside shooting to begin the season than he will eventualy lose his starting job to Shelden.... I hope not, but if it helps the team than fine.

Quote:

...One reason I think that Smoove wants to shoot jumpers is because he is not confident when handling the ball, which of course you have to be a good ball handler to go hard to the hole.

If Smoove strugles with his outside shooting to begin the season than he will eventualy lose his starting job to Shelden.... I hope not, but if it helps the team than fine.

Hit it on the button MW...SMoove can't finish around the hole...or couldn't before this year and can't in the pre-season. Sadly, JS couldn't make a finger roll in a 55 gallon bucket. He NEEDs to but he keeps failing. He has to keep trying though. Once a guy like this arrogant fool does it once - he will be able to do it always. Until it's the playoffs. Then he will choke.

• Moderators

Quote:

Quote:

...One reason I think that Smoove wants to shoot jumpers is because he is not confident when handling the ball, which of course you have to be a good ball handler to go hard to the hole.

Hit it on the button MW...SMoove can't finish around the hole...or couldn't before this year and can't in the pre-season. Sadly, JS couldn't make a finger roll in a 55 gallon bucket. He NEEDs to but he keeps failing. He has to keep trying though. Once a guy like this arrogant fool does it once - he will be able to do it always. Until it's the playoffs. Then he will choke.

WTF is with the Josh Smith hate here? He is a very talented, very young player. He has tons of potential and has shown major improvement since entering the league. He still has a lot of improvement he can make. How does that make him an arrogant fool who will choke in the playoffs? (Ignoring he hit several clutch shots last year.)

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

WTF is with the Josh Smith hate here? He is a very talented, very young player. He has tons of potential and has shown major improvement since entering the league. He still has a lot of improvement he can make. How does that make him an arrogant fool who will choke in the playoffs? (Ignoring he hit several clutch shots last year.)

You have to admit that Josh is staying on the outside too much. I think it's a coaching issue to make him go to the hole more whether he likes it or not -- especially if he's going to be spending time at the 4.