• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

CBS: 38 win season

gsuteke

i probably would have been happy with this last year but I'm hoping to eek out a few more

----------------------------------------------------

Hawks report: Getting inside Oct. 23, 2006

The Sports Xchange

Getting inside · Roster · Notes, quotes

Advertisement

Marvin Williams noticed it the first day of training camp. Josh Smith and Josh Childress noticed it, too.

Joe Johnson returned from his offseason with more than just a chiseled physique, courtesy of a rigorous summer training regimen designed to help him cope with the demands of playing on the U.S. national team.

He came back from his first season with the Hawks a more vocal and outspoken leader, joining veteran point guard Tyronn Lue as the steady hands of a team that needed veterans to step up and provide guidance both on and off the court for a cadre of young talent.

"I think it all starts with Joe and T. Lue," said Williams, one of two 20-year-old starters for the Hawks, Josh Smith is the other. "Those guys came into camp and set the tone and all the young guys are following."

That wasn't the case a year ago or the year before. In each of the past two seasons the Hawks had the necessary parts, solid vets with leadership qualities and capabilities. But there was a disconnect between the message and the supposed recipients the last two years that seems to have been cured this season.

Another issue, and one that has rarely been discussed, is that in each of the past two seasons one of the Hawks' captains has been a veteran playing in a contract year -- Antoine Walker two years ago and Al Harrington last season.

Whoever the team captains are this season, they haven't officially been chosen yet but both Johnson and Lue are obvious candidates, everyone knows they're a part of the Hawks' long-term plan. That wasn't the case with either Walker or Harrington, both of whom were eventually traded.

"I don't think it's fair to knock either of those guys," Josh Smith said. "They were leaders in their own way. And they were good for us. I think all of us learned some good things from Antoine and Al. All of us young guys are a year or two older and wiser than we were then, and that has a lot to do with the change people might see."

Williams agreed.

"A lot of the change is just guys growing up," he said. "I think everybody's goal is the same this year as well. We want to make a run at the playoffs. We want to make the playoffs. And when everybody has the same goal things just run a whole lot smoother."

COACHING STAFF

Head coach -- Mike Woodson, third year (39-125). Assistants -- Larry Drew, Herb Brown, Bob Bender, Greg Ballard, David Fizdale.

LAST SEASON, REMEMBERED: 26-56, last in Southeast Division.

THIS SEASON, PREDICTED: 38-44, fourth in Southeast. Will miss playoffs again.

POSSIBLE CHANGES PREDICTED

Joe Johnson emerges as the player the Hawks thought they were getting when they acquired him from Phoenix in a sign-and-trade before last season. Tyronn Lue steps up right alongside him, giving the Hawks a 1-2 punch of leadership.

Copyright © 2006 The Sports Xchange. All Rights Reserved.

Its interesting that the later we get in the pre-season the more of these predictions of the Hawks winning in the upper 30s are coming out.

Did anyone take the poll over at ESPN regarding the five biggest questions for the Hawks (and all other teams as well)?

The results are interesting.

Here is the link: ESPN POLL: 5 BIGGEST QUESTIONS FOR THE HAWKS

Quote:

THIS SEASON, PREDICTED: 38-44, fourth in Southeast. Will miss playoffs again.

Finally, national media has started to listen to me.

I can't wait for this season to start, should be a fun one no matter what. Either we learn to win consistently or big changes are on the way. The top of the league should be really even too making for a fun season.

I look forward to seeing this squad learn how to play solid team D and learn how to pull out the close ones.

Poll was interesting.

We're going to win 29 + games, according to the poll . . but still finish 5th in the division? So that means that Charlotte is going to win 30+ games?

As far as the ownership goes, it is a major problem. But I don't think it has impeded the success of this team. This team was so young, that they weren't going to win anyway.

Our problems in order:

- defense

- youth

- coaching

- PG play

- ownership