• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $440 of $700 target

It's only one game, but I am REALLY 'disappointed'

HAWKS1986

Quote:

Don't touch the panic button...

There's some misconception going on already.

1. It was Shelden's fault.

Shelden didn't play enough minutes to be a factor either way. Moreover, for you who question us getting Shelden (TP), who is the Big that you would have taken again? Patrick Obryant?

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Quote:

It didn't look good last night, but I'm gonna wait a few more games before I hit the panic button.

This season is going to be the most "painful" one yet if this game was any indication.

W

• Premium Member

The point is that you disrespected Al his way out, but we don't have a player that can match his offensive output! You cry.. "Al's defense sucks".. Last night, everybody's defense sucked...

I just want to see who's next up in the blame game!

I'm putting my money down on the 70 million dollar man.

• Premium Member

Quote:

I know what you are saying gsu but there was NOTHING positive last night.

Actually, I think you can pull some positive out of Zaza's play. He's distinguishing himself as one of the better Centers in the East.

I also liked Josh C's rebounding. Even though it was mostly garbarge rebounds, he's around the basket and he's fast to the ball. He has a lot of Sf in him!

• Premium Member

Quote:

And oh, I would have drafted Sene I-F interior defense was somehow my only focus in the draft. He potentially can change games defensively.

Our starting C had 15 points, 12 rebounds, and 2 blocks...

While Sene had 0 points, 2 rebs, and 1 block in 21 minutes of play.

So you're saying that you would have choosen Sene 5th.. only to have him as the biggest Non-contributor in the world... Sitting on the bench!!!

People in Seattle are wishing they had Shelden instead of Sene because Sene is a joke...

The Blazers had a layup drill going last night with Sene in the game. Juan Dixon and Brandon Roy looked like Jordan and Pippen!

Quote:

Actually, I think you can pull some positive out of Zaza's play. He's distinguishing himself as one of the better Centers in the East.

Did you watch the game. He can't score inside. He's no post option threat. He got his points off FTs, an offensive rebound put-back (but a good put back granted), and 2 mid-range shots. Didn't see his one, 2nd half basket. Point being you can't run a post play through him. He's not a threat. If he's not going to be a post option threat and defend as poorly as he does (though he tries hard), he's not a starting center on a contending team.

I like him. Definately keep him, but don't sell him as something he's not, starter caliber, at least next to our Pfs. We'd need JO or the like at Pf to justify ZaZa starting at center.

W

• Premium Member

There's nothing wrong with a free throw...

I watched him get inside and try to work. He's no monster down low, but he's there and he knows how to make his presence = points.

If he turns out to be the return of Vlade, I will be very satisfied. I just think that he's tough, he plays inside, and he scores and rebounds... Those are the things I expect from the Center position.

As far as Starter Calibre? I think Zaza thus far is doing better than most starting Centers... So why not?

HINDSIGHT (alreaduy) regarding the NBA prospect least ready to play in Sene. Feel free to post Sene's stats daily for the next three years and watch your Hindsight steadily come into focus.

W

Quote:

I just want to see who's next up in the blame game!

I'm putting my money down on the 70 million dollar man.

Its gotta be Woody. If we can't get off to a decent start after this very weak first game, the pressure to fire Wody will mount. I know you're talking about which player on our team Hawksquawk will start to attack (that will be Speedy and Josh Smith, by the way) but I'm referring to who will tuly be on the hot seat.

Woody wanted post players and a point guard, and whether or not we got the best ones available, we filled in the gaps. If Woody is a decent coach at all, this group has no excuse to be much lower than .500 ball before the first trip west. If we're at .333 or below, there's just no excuse at all.

I think Zaza is effective at getting to the line.

There were many games last year where he would get the starting center in foul trouble.

Without his efforts down low teams can leave their starters in the game as long as they please.

He's probably our most effective player at getting to the line apart from Marvin when he's back. That is a huge knock on JJ's game.

Walter is right about Zaza. If he was a positive then?

J.J. will never feel my wrath the way I've given it to Al.

This team could compete with a coach.

We do have some huge problems though. Starting with Speedy. He is an absolute joke.

So, back to my point. How can we support people who support this?

Quote:

But for Shelden it's evaluate now...

So hypocritical!

...to evaluate a 20 yr old having played basketball 4 years his entire life and a 23 year old 4 year college player "considered" "the most NBA-ready prospect" with the same red pen?!?

Hypocritical? You confuse SAT with IQ. SAT refers to NBA readiness (college readiness), IQ refers to talent and potential ("raw" intelligence). Who should do better on the SAT? An 8th grader who's only spoken english 4 years or a HS senior with english as his first language? Pretty simple to answer, eh? The 12th grade 1st rate english speaker. Who has the highest IQ? Clearly Sene.

Fact is SW tested "NBA-ready" but he isn't. Sene tested out NBDL ready to some because they doubt his credentials but he is a starter already. Give him 3 years and his SAT will catch up to his IQ.

W

You know, for the first time possibly ever, I agree with Diesel. This game does not hinge on Shelden Williams performing.

Yes, Shelden Williams is supposed to be NBA ready. However, you cannot expect him to come in on his first NBA game and blow everyone out. Honestly, I wouldn't even expect that from LeBron James. The fact that he's matched up against Chris Webber makes it all the more difficult - While Webber is not a premier PF anymore, he is still in the upper echelon of them - His experience more than makes up for his knees, and you know no referee is going to give Shelden calls against Chris Webber.

If, 15 games into the season, THEN Shelden Williams is struggling, it might be cause for worry. Friday night he matches up against Channing Frye I believe, which should be a fairly good indicator of where he stands. Frye is not a great player, and is still a young player without a reputation. If Shelden can get his boards and his putback points and Frye doesn't put up 15+, it means a lot.

In my mind, though, the blame goes on Josh Smith and Salim Stoudamire for tonight. Yes, Salim only played like 7 minutes, but on three consecutive drives he pulled up and clanked a three when we NEEDED the points desperately.

Smith pulled the same stuff he tried against Golden State last year. Having a 3 point shot is great, but it should be a fallback option, not your primary shot. Smith is most effective when he plays above the rim, and AI2 is not someone who dwarves him in ability.

I'm not going to fault Claxton for not having chemistry with the team yet - It was his first real game playing with the team. It was a bad game for sure, but he has the potential to get better in a week or so when he knows his teammates.

There's no need for the panic posts, though. If we look bad against New York, then maybe.

Quote:

I know what you are saying gsu but there was NOTHING positive last night.

It was the kind of eye opening effort that gets a coach from a city that will not tolerate this fired 5 games into the season.

Anyone who knows anything about basketball knows that these things we saw last night are a harbinger of many, many more clueless nights to come.

That hurts man.

The Braves were a little like this before John and Bobby.

We have to get the right people.

God I want a new owner!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

you and i have the same interests, even if we choose to convey them differently at times.

let's break it down.

1. Woodson bad. terrible motivator.

2. Billy bad. he waited too long to address our need for help at the 1. if Speedy doesn't work out there is no plan B.

3. Joe bad. he's supposed to be the savior. he was 4-15 at one point last night.

4. luck bad. who can create their own shot by taking it to the hole on this team outside of Marvin Williams?

5. Fans bad. our expectation level for players like Smoove is too high right now. these are still boys playing against men at this point.

6. Hawksquawk bad. this site cannot go down in flames every time this team performs poorly. it will happen alot this season. if you want to GM a team make up a resume and start sending it out.