• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Diesel's points of the game. (ATL/NY)

Diesel

Easy to say DJ, but we all know the circumstances are around that record. And it all doesn't have to do with the head coach.

Number of returning Hawks players Woodson had to work with when he took over in 2004: 4

Can you name those 4 players? I can.

Jason Collier - R.I.P., Boris Diaw, Royal Ivey, and Donta Smith

Wow . . . what a collection of players to build your team, let alone your bench around.

What Woody inherited, was the equivalent of a college team losing 7 of it's 8 top scorers ( because that's exactly what happened ), and hoping that the incoming freshmen and JUCO recruits you bring in, would help you stay afloat next season.

Although this team was a horrific one, I'm pretty sure Woody doesn't go 13 - 69 if he still had JT, Bobby Sura and Stephen Jackson in his backcourt, to go alone with Smoove and Childress either starting or off the bench. That team would still be horrible, but at least they wouldn't be horribly inept. The 28 wins that they posted in 2003 with Stotts, may have been another 28 win season or maybe a little more, under Woody.

Woody basically took over a team that had Antoine Walker as its star player . . . a disaster for any coach. Harrington was the complimentary player. But we had a horrible backcourt and couldn't play a lick of defense.

You put any coach in that situation, and they wouldn't win.

LOL . . Our 3rd leading scorer in 04 - 05 was Ty Lue. The 4th leading scorer was Tony Delk. That's all you need to know about the talent that was on that team 2 seasons ago.

Fans have to realize that we're just now starting to build up our talent. That's why I'm more than willing to give Woody at the very least, until the All-Star break, to see if he's the right coach for the Hawks. He at least deserves that much.

If the Hawks are a few games under .500, or if they're in the hunt for that #8 spot, Woody definitely deserves to finish the season. If the Hawks are well out of the race by the All-Star break, then it may be time to think about a coaching change.

But he's a .500 coach right now for this season.

Since Chillz has one of the highest percentage jumpers in the NBA, I think they are gonna let the mechanics go. His problem is going to be getting that shot off without getting it blocked. He will never be a big time scorer with that shot, but he can still be incredibly effective shooting when he's open.

Northcyde, Ivey and Donta were rookies, not returning players, in Woody's first season. Just an fyi.

The deal with Batman is he is a slow, stiff, hacking, lousy basketball player. He doesn't belong in the league and is only valuable if you want to take out another player on the opposing team. Even our coach and GM realize he is a stiff and thats why he is in street clothes. I hope that answers your question.

Quote:

Since Chillz has one of the highest percentage jumpers in the NBA, I think they are gonna let the mechanics go. His problem is going to be getting that shot off without getting it blocked. He will never be a big time scorer with that shot, but he can still be incredibly effective shooting when he's open.

Northcyde, Ivey and Donta were rookies, not returning players, in Woody's first season. Just an fyi.

LOL . . that makes it even worse then. Woody had only Diaw and Jason returning. And yet, people act like he inherited this up and coming team?

LOL.

• Premium Member

Quote:

What's the deal with Batman. Saw him in street clothes. Is he hurt? Could've used him in the middle to deal with Curry.

Not good enough to get playing time on this team which is a good thing. He is not on the active 12 player list.

Quote:

The deal with Batman is he is a slow, stiff, hacking, lousy basketball player. He doesn't belong in the league and is only valuable if you want to take out another player on the opposing team. Even our coach and GM realize he is a stiff and thats why he is in street clothes. I hope that answers your question.

LOL . . . excellent answer.

I guess we put Freije in street clothes, and dress Batman?

No chance at that, unless Freije is hurt.

Quote:

They should let me work on Chills' mechanics...

I would have had him spending the whole summer shooting from midrange in a chair!!

We would have worked out those shooting mechanics...

You have a serious point D...if JC had a high release he would be one of the most dangerous players around. I don't care if he drops from 50% to 44% or even 42% on jumpers for awhile - he HAS to be able to get it off in traffic.

Has he ever been coached? It's just simple reality. If he has a stroke from down low - he can get one from up high. Shooting is primarily body movement - then hands.

Can't somebody talk to the kid?

• Premium Member

It's more than just percentages. Chillz shoots a nice percentage because he chooses his shots very carefully. i.e. when he's wide open. As a player who could possibly be the 2nd or 3rd scorer on the floor, Chillz is going to have to be more active in scoring. The same is true for Shelden. I have seen Chillz pass up many shoots because: 1. Defender was in the vicinity. 2. Shot was out of his range. Working on his mechanics could correct that.