• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $440 of $700 target

Could someone explain why we didn't get B. Roy?

HAWKS1986

Before the draft, I thought he was the best overall talent in the draft and could play 'multiple' positions-- TRULY..

I was shocked he dropped to the Hawks, and we just let him go and we got Shelden Williams.. Shelden may be a productive player, but will it be for the Hawks?

He can defend. He can 'dribble' under pressure. He can shoot. He can pass. And he can make his teammates 'better'..

I keep watching these highlights of Portland, and he has been 'solid'-- almost Dwayne Wade like...

1. 20 points vs. Seattle on the road in a win...

2. 19 points vs. Golden State on the road in a loss..

3. 16 points vs. Minnesota at home in a win...

I am not ready to annoint him ROY (Rookie of the Year), but he has made his presence felt from the start-- insteading of 'sitting on the bench' or inserted in the starting lineup and looking 'lost'...

Right now, Roy is averaging 18 points 4 rebounds 5 assists ...

The following is from the 'Oregonian' newspaper in Portland...

Mr. Versatility: Brandon Roy

The Blazers rookie, skilled at several positions, has gained respect from his teammates -- before the season

Brandon Roy is flummoxed.

The Trail Blazers rookie, who spent the preseason enhancing his reputation as a player who can do everything on the basketball court, suddenly can't do the simplest of tasks off the court.

"I can't find my socks," Roy says in the locker room of the Staples Center, where he just finished a game against the Los Angeles Clippers. "Where are my socks?"

His confusion and growing panic over the whereabouts of his black dress socks contrast with the intelligence and calm he displays on the court -- traits that the Blazers feel set him apart from most rookies.

Already, Roy is drawing rave reviews. A survey of NBA general managers identified Roy as the favorite to become the rookie of the year. And the Blazers, although cautious not to put too much pressure on the sixth overall pick, like what they see.

"We expect big things from him, but we also don't want to put too much on his shoulders," said Kevin Pritchard, Blazers assistant general manager. "He goes out there, and if you are not a true basketball fan, it's hard to appreciate what he truly does.

"His strength is doing all the little things it takes to win games. And he's talented enough to fill the stat sheet as well. He has a chance to be a difference-maker in this league."

The "pressure" aspect often gets brought up to Roy. After all, a Blazers organization that is starved for a positive story, and a city thirsting for someone to cling their hopes to, are looking to Roy for the answers. And the 22-year-old responds in a way that belies his age.

He tells a story of when he was in college at Washington, how he would go to the store and buy the college basketball preview magazines once they hit the stands. And how after games, he would rush to the newspaper stands to buy the Seattle Times and Seattle Post-Intelligencer to read what they wrote about him.

"In college I didn't get a lot of credit, so I was chasing it, chasing that credit. I wanted that recognition," Roy said. "And finally, once I started getting it, I started feeling the pressure a little bit, like especially when I was going into the (NBA) draft workouts."

Looks like B. Roy is the real thing. Doing great.

Hawks had a problem if they chose B. Roy.

In assembly of our team, you have, because of positions

available on the team, round holes and square holes.

Now, the round holes require a round peg.

The square holes require a square peg.

Shooting guard the Hawks have well covered with JJ and

Josh C. That's our round hole and our round pegs.

Now the square holes. That would be the big bodies

that play inside, stop those layup drills that other

teams have been running on the Hawks. Rebounds are

a must and scoring is a plus.

Hawks chose to pick two players in the first AND second

round who were square pegs to fit our need to fill in

our square holes.

If a part don't fit, you can't use the part. If you

try to fit the part into the wrong place, you have

trouble. Product just won't be right.

What the Hawks got was what they needed.

If Hawks had taken B. Roy, someone would have to have been

traded to fill our need. Would Hawks have traded J.J.

for inside help and kept B. Roy? I don't think so.

Hawks probably didn't get the best player available

BUT they certainly got the best player available to

fit their needs.

And THAT'S why we did it our way.

smirk.gif

Brandon Roy played PG the entire 4th quarter last night and led them to the come from behind victory. Looked like more a superstar than did KG. Only his 3rd game. I love Brandon Roy and think he and JJ could have coexisted, but I'm not at all upset about the Shelden Williams pick. It all depends on the direction you want to go in with the team, either pick would have worked. I love Williams defense, rebounding, toughness, and we needed that from a big man desperately. A bigger need than PG. Lue, Speedy, JJ, Boozeman. We've got enough playmakers. If anything, we need another big man in addition to Shelden.

Quote:

Brandon Roy played PG the entire 4th quarter last night and led them to the come from behind victory.

He played PG at Washington at times as well. I was hoping we'd have a Roy, JJ, Smoove, Marvin, ZaZa lineup. But we'd still be weak inside. I was really pissed on draft night - not so much for picking Shelden but because we passed on Roy. But that's the way it turned out. I'm sure that if we look at any draft in hindsight we'd see a lot of choices people would like to do over.

Quote:

Where would he have played?

We have Joe Johnson at the shooting guard position, and Brandon Roy is not a point guard. So, where would he have played?

KB, do I have to post how you stated at least 10 times that Roy and JJ were a perfect backcourt couple, Roy was the best draft prospect for the Hawks, and how SW was the worst? Do I have to rub your face in it again? Seriously. Either rescind your statement or a bump is in order.

W

I watched Roy play PG and he looked GREAT! Better than Speedy that is for sure. We should of drafted Roy and signed some free agent help on the front line. For all the people who ask "Where would Roy play, we already have JJ"? I say he would play PG, he is already playing PG and looking damn good in the process. He defends, he passes well, he penetrates, and he attacks the basket. With Roy and JJ we are in the playoffs THIS YEAR! So, stop the smug garbage about where he would play. With a guy this good he would be on the court. Shelden was a lousy #5 and that has already been proven. Solomon Jones looked better than Shelden yesterday. Billy's big rebuilding would have been COMPLETE if not for a couple of really bonehead manuevers...he didn't even work Roy out. Now, that is just total incompetance. We could be a lot further ahead of where we are and that's a fact.

Quote:

I watched Roy play PG and he looked GREAT! Better than Speedy that is for sure. We should of drafted Roy and signed some free agent help on the front line. For all the people who ask "Where would Roy play, we already have JJ"? I say he would play PG, he is already playing PG and looking damn good in the process. He defends, he passes well, he penetrates, and he attacks the basket. With Roy and JJ we are in the playoffs THIS YEAR! So, stop the smug garbage about where he would play. With a guy this good he would be on the court. Shelden was a lousy #5 and that has already been proven. Solomon Jones looked better than Shelden yesterday. Billy's big rebuilding would have been COMPLETE if not for a couple of really bonehead manuevers...he didn't even work Roy out. Now, that is just total incompetance. We could be a lot further ahead of where we are and that's a fact.

Imagine our frontline if we did draft Roy and Marvin gets hurt. Hell we'd be starting Matt Frejie for God's sake. We probably don't pick up Speedy. We'd have to run a lineup of

Lue

Roy

JJ

Smoove

Zaza

Which could score but would be weaker defensively.

And we still wouldn't have addressed the PG situation

Quote:

Quote:

Where would he have played?

We have Joe Johnson at the shooting guard position, and Brandon Roy is not a point guard. So, where would he have played?

KB, do I have to post how you stated at least 10 times that Roy and JJ were a perfect backcourt couple, Roy was the best draft prospect for the Hawks, and how SW was the worst? Do I have to rub your face in it again? Seriously. Either rescind your statement or a bump is in order.

W

i just saw them myself doing a search for old Brandon Roy talk under my username.

he said it. Roy or Foye were the picks.

Quote:

Imagine our frontline if we did draft Roy and Marvin gets hurt. Hell we'd be starting Matt Frejie for God's sake. We probably don't pick up Speedy. We'd have to run a lineup of

Lue

Roy

JJ

Smoove

Zaza

Just add in a FA power forward such as Wilcox, Gooden, or PJ Brown (or the like). Wouldn't people rather have:

Roy/Speedy

JJ/Childress

MW/JS/Childress

JS/PJ Brown/Wilcox/Gooden

ZaZa/Lo

Quit with the false delimma. It's not like it was SW or bust. FAcy and/or trades can get you a better player than SW without costing you your (last) 5th pick.

W

Quote:

i just saw them myself doing a search for old Brandon Roy talk under my username.

KB was 100% right about absolutely not getting SW A-N-D getting Roy (initially and my preference by far) or Foye as Roy especially would be a "perfect" compliment. KB is willing to sacrifice his shred of credibility, lie, and make himself wrong in order to support BK's position/decision. His transformation on SW and Roy once BK drafted SW might have been the ugliest turn a forum member has ever made.

I think he broke his own ankles with that cross-over.

W

Quote:

Quote:

KB was 100% right about absolutely not getting SW A-N-D getting Roy (initially and my preference by far) or Foye as Roy especially would be a "perfect" compliment. KB is willing to sacrifice his shred of credibility, lie, and make himself wrong in order to support BK's position/decision. His transformation on SW and Roy once BK drafted SW might have been the ugliest turn a forum member has ever made.

I think he broke his own ankles with that cross-over.

W

looking over the old posts you were a Pro-Roy guy.

i was a Pro-Guard that fit the best guy.

Right now I'm a Pro-First place guy.

Quote:

Quote:

Lue

Roy

JJ

Smoove

Zaza

Just add in a FA power forward such as Wilcox, Gooden, or PJ Brown (or the like). Wouldn't people rather have:

Roy/Speedy

JJ/Childress

MW/JS/Childress

JS/PJ Brown/Wilcox/Gooden

ZaZa/Lo

Quit with the false delimma. It's not like it was SW or bust. FAcy and/or trades can get you a better player than SW without costing you your (last) 5th pick.

W

I don't see how any of that helps our interior defense. The Sonics linup is so weak that that they had to go get Glynstiff to shoreup their interior.

Quote:

I don't see how any of that helps our interior defense. The Sonics linup is so weak that that they had to go get Glynstiff to shoreup their interior.

You don't think we'd have kept him if ZaZa went down for the season and SW was on a bum ankle? You're mistaken.

Another (near) false delima BTW. One can help the team without helping the interior defense. It is possible. That makes two false delimas in one post.

False Delimas:

1)) The means to bettering this team is to improve interior defense

2) Because we need interior defense we NEED a Pf in SW.

I can improve this team without improving its interior defense. We were a 26 win team and there is much to improve on. If I choose to improve it I can improve it (better) through FAcy or trade. I can also improve it while improving elsewhere.

Why not draft Roy and sign two budget FAs like Lo, one at PF and center?

W