• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $440 of $700 target

For those who SAW the game...

thesheedera

I listened to 790 and followed the boxscore, but not being able to watch the game really limits my perspective...

Was our defense really solid, or were the Magic just having a bad day? It sounded like we were dedicated to the defensive end and had some huge plays at the right time.

Did JJ look like a dominant All Star type player?

Did we run at all? Only 11 points off the break, but were we at least pushing the ball? I can't stand seeing this team walk it up the court.

What was J. Smith's demeanor during the game?

Did we look like we're building some chemistry with Speedy?

The game was televised on NBA league pass and I caught it (especially after catching alittle of the putrid Falcons game). The Hawks energy was very good throughtout the game and the Magic looked flat from the tipoff. JJ was dominant for most of the game and the Magic had no player who could really check JJ. When JJ was not scoring he made the game easier for everyone else. The other key factor was Zaza who got Howard in early foul trouble and was our only other offensive go to guy when JJ was on the pine in the 2nd half. Our team D was pretty good, especially our transition D which was solid throughout the game. What surprised me about this game was the Magic's lack of athleticism. Beyond Howard and Darko, the Magic are a fairly slow footed team and we were able to exploit this in the first half.

Random thoughts...Darko really looked solid (besides his poor FT shooting) and outplayed Lo in the battle of backup 5s. He is a great shotblocker and is developing a decent post game on the O end. I would not be surprised if we make a big offer for him in the offseason....Another DNP for Salim. CB is taking Salim's minutes and I wonder of Salim is on the trading block.....Shellhead gets no love from the officials who called some ticky-tack fouls on Shelden. SW actually bodied up Howard pretty well before both got into foul trouble....Big win for us before heading to Lebron land.

Quote:

I listened to 790 and followed the boxscore, but not being able to watch the game really limits my perspective...

Was our defense really solid, or were the Magic just having a bad day? It sounded like we were dedicated to the defensive end and had some huge plays at the right time.

Did JJ look like a dominant All Star type player?

Did we run at all? Only 11 points off the break, but were we at least pushing the ball? I can't stand seeing this team walk it up the court.

What was J. Smith's demeanor during the game?

Did we look like we're building some chemistry with Speedy?

it was a combo of both... Orlando had a bad offensive day, but the Hawks swarmed on defense. JJ looked great... Smoove looks like a crappy version of Antonie Walker.

I think he is referring to JSmoove's many three point attempts. Jsmoove did linger around the three point line alittle too much though he did hit a big three before the end of the 1st half. JSmoove's D was pretty good and he had a couple of solid blocks. He also made some nice passes. If he would work on taking his man off the dribble alittle more (he did take Garrity easily off the dribble late in the game for points) he would be a very dangerous player. JSmoove is still far more valuable to us than Airball Walker was to us.

• Premium Member

Quote:

it was a combo of both... Orlando had a bad offensive day, but the Hawks swarmed on defense. JJ looked great... Smoove looks like a crappy version of Antonie Walker.

Cause and effect brother. Why are you taking away from the hawk's defensive effort. You act like Orlando was missing open shot all game long which wasn't the case at all. The interior defense was fantastic! By the way, you sound like Walter when you don't like a player.

• Premium Member

Quote:

Quote:

yes, u gotta score to win games

but lowering our opp ppg will win us more games than raising our ppg

if we can be a top-15 defensive team, we will win >40 games

No if JJ if wore down by the end of the season. He has ALOT of pressure on him right now.

JJ is averaging about 34 minutes per game which about the NBA average. Plus when JJ 7 Zaza are out of the game, the team does score and hold leads

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

yes, u gotta score to win games

but lowering our opp ppg will win us more games than raising our ppg

if we can be a top-15 defensive team, we will win >40 games

No if JJ if wore down by the end of the season. He has ALOT of pressure on him right now.

JJ is averaging about 34 minutes per game which about the NBA average. Plus when JJ 7 Zaza are out of the game, the team does score and hold leads

But it's only 3 games. The Hawks haven't played a good explosive offense yet. It isn't the minutes... It's the fact that he's going to have to push 25/5/6 this year.

That's a big burden when they player isn't Kobe Bryant, Lebron James, Dwayne Wade... etc...

• Premium Member

Quote:

But it's only 3 games. The Hawks haven't played a good explosive offense yet. It isn't the minutes... It's the fact that he's going to have to push 25/5/6 this year.

That's a big burden when they player isn't Kobe Bryant, Lebron James, Dwayne Wade... etc...

That is what superstar do!!!!!!!! What is your problem????

Quote:

Quote:

That is what superstar do!!!!!!!! What is your problem????

JJ is a really good player, but he isn't a superstar. No offense to him... There isn't many 20/5/5 players in the league and he's one of them.. But there is alittle too much on his shoulders.

To be honest, I think it's too big of a load for one player to play without a legit 2nd scoring option.

Quote:

Quote:

Smoove looks like a crappy version of Antonie Walker.

ouch!

I don't know what crawled up Hot's *ss and died, but he's statement is completely false. Josh played decidedly better in this game than the first two. I actually thought he did really well in the times he had to guard Howard. And he drove to the hoop a couple times. Everyone that is stressing over his three 3-point attempts a game need to get over it because he's going to average that throughout. And Woody seems to be fine with that seeing as though that was the play he called to finish out the half (in which Josh connected).

As an aside: The Orlando announcers mentioned at some point that Woodson said Smoove was really "feeling" the PF position and was looking forward to playing it this year. They also mentioned that with Marvin down it has forced him back to the 3. Doesn't say a lot, but it does in some ways.

I was there Hot and you're right. The D was pretty good through the whole game. J.J. actually got lost a couple of times after the rebound. Smoove is looking very tentative and settling for unrhythmic j's. Speedy is not worth the money at all. He does not deserve to play. I mean, T-lue is better. He really hurts us long-term. The magic are horrible. They turned it over bringing it up like 10 times just pushing it where it wasn't. Very stupid. looked a lot like us last year. T-lue is better than I thought. Shelden looked very good on a couple of post moves. The up and under. I liked it. Woody was competent today. It was a sight! Salim was pouting the whole time and Zaza had an exchange with Woodson that I talk about in other threads. Great game!