• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Losing at home is 'unacceptable'....

HAWKS1986

Poor starts and getting behind by double digits at home has been the common thread in this three game losing streak at home. If the Hawks are going to have any chance to make the playoffs, we have to be able 'close' out games at home.

Joe Johnson is our best player, but he was put in one on one situations vs. Michael Redd and tonight vs. Dwayne Wade or even Ray Allen driving down the lane vs. Josh Smith) and these guys made shots to either tie the game or take the lead.. Where is the help for Joe Johnson? It's my opinion, but I wouldn't let Michael Redd or Dwayne Wade beat us. DOUBLE TEAM them-- force someone else to make a shot... in late game situations like that...

Losing these games at home forces the Hawks to 'steal' games on the road and with three of the next four coming up, the Hawks need to find a way stay at or above .500

I will be glad when Marvin WIlliams comes back, and Speedy is able to play at 'full strength', but a strong second option has to emerge on a night to night basis for this team to stay relevant in the playoff hunt.

It is a loooooooong season. We will be a playoff team if we can get healthy and stay healthy.(Just stay around .500 until they get back, then we should be able to make a good run with the depth, talent, and, of course, the solid D)

We play good D, we usually play pretty good O, and we got a great player who can carry us.

Marvin can. That's a lot to ask. He's coming off a hand injury that will likely limit his ability to really play his game. We're in trouble. I don't hate because I like too. It's because It's hard not to with a stretch like this. I hope no one starts up a "the team will learn how to win these type of games" blah, blah, blah sort of post. You learn to win by winning.

• Premium Member

Quote:

the hawks really missed childress tonight. his energy and defense are key to this team that has just enough talent (with everybody healthy) to compete. missing marvin is hurting us as well because his (potential) offense will help joe tremendously....

flava

Teams are forcing us to either take jump shot or forcing the ball into Josh Smith's hands in the half court and leaving him to make decisions with the ball. And he ain't making good ones.

Lue is someone who can carry a team once every four or five games, but for a team trying to make the playoffs, it isn't good enough.

Someone else has to 'emerge' as the steady second option who is capable of hitting those outside shots and creating offense DOWN THE STRETCH in contested games.

This is most certainly NOT a playoff team. Not until we get a true NBA coach. Sad, but true. Expect about 34-48. We aren't likely to see .500 again. We just blew 3 very winnable games at home. This team has resorted to the same crap we did last year. Mike Woodson is an awful close game coach and the last time I checked...many NBA games are close. I heard Woody in the huddle tonight during a crunch time TO and it sounded worse than a HS huddle. Nice guy. Lousy coach.

Quote:

This is most certainly NOT a playoff team. Not until we get a true NBA coach. Sad, but true. Expect about 34-48. We aren't likely to see .500 again. We just blew 3 very winnable games at home. This team has resorted to the same crap we did last year. Mike Woodson is an awful close game coach and the last time I checked...many NBA games are close. I heard Woody in the huddle tonight during a crunch time TO and it sounded worse than a HS huddle. Nice guy. Lousy coach.

There is a 'ring of truth' in your assesment of Coach Woodson.The Hawks were involved in several close games last year, and we couldn't pull it out. And this year, even though, the Hawks have been consistently competitive, but not being able to 'close out ' games at home is NOT a very good sign.

A team like New Orleans or Utah who are 'young' teams have been able to get over the hump and finish games and 'grow' from it... The next two weeks is very important in terms of survival. The Hawks will need to start games with more 'energy' and finish strong. Coaches such as Jerry SLoan and Byron Scott who have had success as player and coach seem to get the most out of their players and recognize what they do best and utilize their talents. Plus, being able to ADJUST when needed when the game is on the line is very important.

Woodson vs. Riley in a close game. Hmmmm. I think I'll go with Riley. Just a hunch.

Your points on Sloan and Scott are valid. Jerry Sloan with this Hawks team is no worse than 6-2. BK loves Woody so much I'm afraid it will be awhile until we finally get rid of Woody. And we NEED a better coach.

Quote:

Quoted for truth.

Quote:

Quote:

Quoted for truth.

I agree as well, nice post TP.

Quote:

Woodson vs. Riley in a close game. Hmmmm. I think I'll go with Riley. Just a hunch.

Your points on Sloan and Scott are valid. Jerry Sloan with this Hawks team is no worse than 6-2. BK loves Woody so much I'm afraid it will be awhile until we finally get rid of Woody. And we NEED a better coach.

Woodson may be a 'transition' coach. Remember when Paul Westphall was replaced by Pat Riley in the late 70's with the Lakers prior to their championship run and also when Doug Collins was replaced by Phil Jackson with the Bulls in the 1990's or even the coach in San Antonio prior to Tim Duncan's arrival.

Woodson has to make tremendous progress THIS YEAR, and the young guys got to 'develop' and show progressive improvement in their games-- at least TWO (either Marvin, Shelden, Chill)..if Woodson wants to stay relevant he needs to start to take his coaching to 'another level'...

Quote:

DOUBLE TEAM them-- force someone else to make a shot... in late game situations like that...

They did....Walker had Four straight shots at winning the game for Miami and clanked on everything....EVEN BLEW TWO FTs!

Man....I'm happy for the win but Riley needs to bench Antoine(or do something if he's going to continue to labor like this)

I swear when he missed those opportunities, I honestly thought you guys would come back and win in OT and you almost did but almost only counts in Horseshoes.....

I don't see Woody taking anything to another level. The sad thing is he's a really nice guy. The kind of guy you want to do well. But, the Hawks just don't execute like a well coached team. And the little things trip us up all the time. We still can't play the pick and roll...I could make a list a mile long about how we just don't play fundamental winning ball. The Hawks so many times resort to just shooting J's and that doesn't cut it. One of the reasons we don't get calls in the crunch is we seldom attack the rack. D-Wade attacked the rack...Michael Redd beat us attacking the rack...Ray Allen beat us attacking the rack. Same formula for winning games. We usually stand around and someone shoots a jumper with the shot clock running down. Why don't we ever learn what it takes to win? Why does Woody have no timeouts left with 4 seconds left against the Bucks so we can take the ball at halfcourt instead of having to cover the whole court in 4 seconds? Good coaches always keep a TO in reserve for just such an occasion. Again, with Woody its about 1 million little things and this team deserves better.

i posted a somewhat scientific prediction of the Hawks record vs their schedule through December about a month ago.

i came up with an 11-18 record.

we should be happy that this team is 3 baskets away from being 7-1 right now. while 4-4 is not ideal one must keep in mind the win/loss record from the prior year.

the Hawks are in a good position to push for 42 wins. IMO that would be a successful season.

I agree we need another scoring option particularly in the starting lineup. I think Woody should look to start J-Chill when he is ready to play again. We need to play with energy at the beginning of the game, not after we have gotten down by 10 or 15pts. Chill has also been hitting his open jumpshots.