• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $440 of $700 target

We really need Marvin back

Admin

I think that he will become our consistent 2nd option scorer and a perfect compliment to JJ and I think that will happen before the end of this season. Smoove, Chillz, and Z are good players but it's fairly clear that none of them are likely to be the type of player who can put this team on his back the way JJ can and the way I believe Marvin can as well.

How many times are people gonna say the samething over and over. We need Marvin back like hes an Allstar or something. You better hope he is because we passed on 2 Allstar PGs to get this guy. The minute he fails the critics will be all over him. So I hope hes the savior of the franchise that everyone thinks he will be because if not theres gonna be alot of disappointment.

• Moderators

Quote:

How many times are people gonna say the samething over and over. We need Marvin back like hes an Allstar or something. You better hope he is because we passed on 2 Allstar PGs to get this guy. The minute he fails the critics will be all over him. So I hope hes the savior of the franchise that everyone thinks he will be because if not theres gonna be alot of disappointment.

Well, if he swung 3 points a game to the Hawks they would have won the last 3 games. He doesn't have to be "the savior of the franchise" to make a significant impact on this team's offensive consistency.

Getting Marvin back will also make Smoove better. Smoove player some of his best and smartest B-Ball with Marvin. Smoove has said countless time he enjoys playing with Marvin and their games compliment each other. Instead of seeing Marvin as threat to your favorite player Smoove. Learn to embrace him as a part of this team.

I dont see him as a threat and also dont see him as the saving grace everyone is making him and his return out to be. Hes done nothing in the NBA yet but many people feel like he has been to multiple all- star games by the way they are hoping for his heroic return. Hey I could be wrong but one thing is pretty clear to me we passed on 2 All Star PGs for this kid which would have made us a lock for the playoffs. So the pressure is already on him to do something now because we took him so high and psssed on 2 great players.

Quote:

how good would we be looking right now if we had passed on Josh Smith and drafted Jameer Nelson who was still sitting there in the green room? i distinctly remember cussing at the TV over that move.

I know alot of you guys think being in the dunk contest is cool and all. i think it's seen as a joke by NBA All-Stars myself.

Nelson is no where as good as Chris Paul or Deron Williams. These guys are legit allstars in only there 2nd years. Smith also wasnt the 2nd overall pick so not really sure what you are trying to say. The drafting of Marvin Williams was a slap to the face to Josh Childress. Pretty much telling him we like you but you arent good enuff we like someone else better. Where BK picked Smith was one of the few great moves hes done since hes been here draft wise that pick IMO was a steal. Another was taking Boris Diaw. If the draft were redone Smith and Diaw would be top 10 picks. The other moves are def. in question right now. The Marvin, Shelden and Childress to some degree were all questionable picks. How is that you draft 3 guys in the last 3 Years in the top 7 and only 1 of them is a starter when the team is at full strength. Doesnt seem like great drafting to me. Chris Paul/Deron Williams JJ Iggy/Deng Smith Zaza ot

Speedy JJ Marvin Smith Zaza and 2 Lottery Picks coming off the bench you tell me which you rather take. We are not that good of a team to draft lottery players to come off the bench sorry.

Quote:

Nelson is no where as good as Chris Paul or Deron Williams. These guys are legit allstars in only there 2nd years. Smith also wasnt the 2nd overall pick so not really sure what you are trying to say. The drafting of Marvin Williams was a slap to the face to Josh Childress. Pretty much telling him we like you but you arent good enuff we like someone else better. Where BK picked Smith was one of the few great moves hes done since hes been here draft wise that pick IMO was a steal. Another was taking Boris Diaw. If the draft were redone Smith and Diaw would be top 10 picks. The other moves are def. in question right now. The Marvin, Shelden and Childress to some degree were all questionable picks. How is that you draft 3 guys in the last 3 Years in the top 7 and only 1 of them is a starter when the team is at full strength. Doesnt seem like great drafting to me. Chris Paul/Deron Williams JJ Iggy/Deng Smith Zaza ot

Speedy JJ Marvin Smith Zaza and 2 Lottery Picks coming off the bench you tell me which you rather take. We are not that good of a team to draft lottery players to come off the bench sorry.

I agree it is looking like not picking Paul or Deron is going to come back and haunt us. But what can we do about it now? No point to keep bitching about it now. We need to move forward with what we got. It was a slap in the face to Chill when we took Marvin no doubt. I think Marvin will go on and have a much better career overall than Chill though. BK should have drafted a PG though somewhere here in the last couple of drafts. But you have to admit you do need depth in the NBA to succeed right? We probably have the best forward rotation around once Marvin gets back. Chill is one of the best 6th men in the NBA right now. Shelden could be too if he goes back to the bench with Marvin's return. Deron will be better than Chris Paul because he is bigger and matches up well with opposing guards. And actually plays defense.

Quote:

Josh Smith is my favorite player. Josh Smith Josh Smith Josh Smith

Did I mention Josh Smith is my favorite player?

bobblehead.jpg

Quote:

Getting Marvin back will also make Smoove better. Smoove player some of his best and smartest B-Ball with Marvin. Smoove has said countless time he enjoys playing with Marvin and their games compliment each other. Instead of seeing Marvin as threat to your favorite player Smoove. Learn to embrace him as a part of this team.

When, last year?

• Premium Member

I hope Marvin can be an All-star small forward because if he's anything less than that BK made a gigantic mistake in not taking Deron Williams or Chris Paul or Felton.

Marvin is the second scoring option our team has been missing this season and once he's back I think he can fulfill that role.

• Admin

Josh Smith has done nothing in this league either, and you ride him like he's a horse that won the triple crown. Nobody is saying Marvin is the Messiah and if you weren't so Josh Smith-centric you'd see that. Anyone with half a brain knows we need players who can score ON THEIR OWN and Marvin has proven that he can do that. He's not going to get us 20 a game, but he can do what Both Josh's and Sheldon can't do, create his own shot.

And what Chris Paul or Deron Williams do puts zero pressure on Marvin. Marvin didn't pick himself.

All of this Chris Paul, Deron talk makes me want to pull my hair out. Its been 1 year, just one, we all knew Marvin might take a bit longer. Wait a few years until you completely judge the draft. Secondly, I love how everyone saw this as a two horse draft. NOBODY had Paul going top 2. Hindsight is a beautiful thing isn't it. This reminds me of the predraft Manning vs Leaf draft. Nobdody talked about anyone but those 2 guys for 1 and 2. Now everyone says gee Chargers are dumb. Funny but a lot of Indy fans wanted Leaf. You can always look back and say will this guy that guy, but at the time we were a 13 win team, and the overwhelming best athlete in all of the draft was sitting there.

All this being said Marvin is no Leaf. Nobody seems to remember the last 20 games last year when is minutes went up he was playing unlike a rookie. My favortie thing about Marvin last year started 7 games. In those 7 games 4 double doubles. That I like.

Lets look at just his April numbers:

In 9 games:

Avg 28 min: 12.3 pts, 6.1 rebs, 1blk,1 stl, 2 asst, .450% FG, 79% FT

For a rookie in which he had a monster summer and preseason to improve on those is it unreal to think in a soph. campaign for him to say have 30 min, 16 pts, 8reb, 1 blk, 1 stl, 2 asst, per game. That is just 4 pts and 2 boards more. Imagine if we had that for the last 3 games. We are talking about a 2nd year 20 year old getting close to 20/10. I think I will be happy with that.

• Premium Member

This Marvin question will continue to haunt this franchise... For as long as people who were picked after Marvin continue to be great players and he is not... we will always wonder. As long as Chillz show the propensity to be a better Sf or even a suitable Sf... we will always wonder...

The bottom line is when we had a chance to get a position of importance (one of the specialized position), we took a guy who played a dime a dozen position. There's nothing that special about Marvin. If it is, he needs to show it.... otherwise, we will always look back to his drafting and say... BOY, we F----- up!

gsuteke, "I like to call people bobbleheads, I like to call people bobbleheads. Did I mention I like to call people bobbleheads?"

You are as predicatable and hypocritical a those you intend to jab. We get it. You like to call people "bobbleheads". Next.

W

Quote:

gsuteke, "I like to call people bobbleheads, I like to call people bobbleheads. Did I mention I like to call people bobbleheads?"

You are as predicatable and hypocritical a those you intend to jab. We get it. You like to call people "bobbleheads". Next.

W

it's nice to have you back!

for clarification i posted that because I made a point about drafting Jameer over Smoove within this thread. all i got back in return was more Marvin Williams bravado.

the J Smoove faction either cannot or simply refuse to see both sides of the coin. tunnel vision would be an appropriate descriptive representation.

Quote:

Josh Smith has done nothing in this league either, and you ride him like he's a horse that won the triple crown. Nobody is saying Marvin is the Messiah and if you weren't so Josh Smith-centric you'd see that. Anyone with half a brain knows we need players who can score ON THEIR OWN and Marvin has proven that he can do that. He's not going to get us 20 a game, but he can do what Both Josh's and Sheldon can't do, create his own shot.

And what Chris Paul or Deron Williams do puts zero pressure on Marvin. Marvin didn't pick himself.

well said. i'm no J Smoove hater but some of you have to take your beer goggles off every once in a while when talking about the Hawks.

We need him back, but to expect him to come off of injury and light the world on fire is just setting yourself up for a major disappointment. He's gonna need time to get his wind back and adjust to how the team's been without him there. He will certainly cover the load of second option from time to time, but to expect that from him right away on a consistent basis will only lead to disappointment.