• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $440 of $700 target

Would JJ sign with us if we drafted a PG last yr?

jerrywest

I'm nearly certain he would have still signed here. In my opinion his primary motivation was a desire to be in the South and closer to his family.

I think he also wanted to reach his full potential as a player instead of being seen as the 4th best player on his team and a product of the great Steve Nash's magical ability to make teammates better.

I also think he felt disrespected by how the Suns treated him during contract negotiations, whereas the Hawks were willing to pay him the max and really wanted and needed him.

I think the Hawks explained this move by saying he might play some PG, because first of all we were already getting killed for having too many swingmen and no PGs, and second of all, JJ can play some PG and is pretty good at it. Maybe they were even sincerely interested in seeing how it went. But I think JJ was willing to do whatever...but I don't think the chance to play PG was a major factor in his deciding to come to Atlanta.

• Premium Member

I guess hindsight is 20/20. For a while, it seemed that the popular opinion was that if we had drafted Paul or Deron, that somehow we would not have gotten JJ. I agree that we could indeed have had both Paul/Deron and JJ for all of the aforementioned reasons. I like Marvin but that Hawks backcourt would have been THE best in the NBA for the next 5-10yrs. There's always the chance, slim as it may be, that another crop of topflight PG's could again be available in the draft though. Fortunately, I don't anticipate us being high enough in the draft to get them. smirk.gif

Quote:

I guess hindsight is 20/20. For a while, it seemed that the popular opinion was that if we had drafted Paul or Deron, that somehow we would not have gotten JJ. I agree that we could indeed have had both Paul/Deron and JJ for all of the aforementioned reasons. I like Marvin but that Hawks backcourt would have been THE best in the NBA for the next 5-10yrs. There's always the chance, slim as it may be, that another crop of topflight PG's could again be available in the draft though. Fortunately, I don't anticipate us being high enough in the draft to get them.
smirk.gif

I think the question would be, if we got a pg in the draft, then would BK attempt to sign JJ? Thats where there might be some people on the fence.

• Moderators

Quote:

Quote:

I guess hindsight is 20/20. For a while, it seemed that the popular opinion was that if we had drafted Paul or Deron, that somehow we would not have gotten JJ. I agree that we could indeed have had both Paul/Deron and JJ for all of the aforementioned reasons. I like Marvin but that Hawks backcourt would have been THE best in the NBA for the next 5-10yrs. There's always the chance, slim as it may be, that another crop of topflight PG's could again be available in the draft though. Fortunately, I don't anticipate us being high enough in the draft to get them.
smirk.gif

I think the question would be, if we got a pg in the draft, then would BK attempt to sign JJ? Thats where there might be some people on the fence.

On that issue, my answer is the same - BK would have gone after the available 23 or 24 year old rising star who can play multiple positions and contribute on both ends of the floor.

• Premium Member

Quote:

Agreed, Sothron. Drafting Paul or Deron wouldn't have made a difference in obtaining JJ. To think that drafting either guy would've created a sticking point in JJ not coming here is silly.

I believe that whole line of reasoning was a part of the whole Marvin vs. Chris Paul debate of last season. Those who sided with the Marvin pick used the whole JJ situation as the justification for why BK decided NOT to select Paul or Deron. I actually like Marv and believe he will have an immediate impact on this team's offense when he gets back, but this line of reasoning is irrational at best.

Quote:

I believe that whole line of reasoning was a part of the whole Marvin vs. Chris Paul debate of last season. Those who sided with the Marvin pick used the whole JJ situation as the justification for why BK decided NOT to select Paul or Deron.

Not sure I ever heard that line of reasoning before. I wanted Marvin long before I even thought of JJ. He just seemed to be the better choice in the long run. (and personally I didn't like Paul as person - I couldn't have routed for someone I didn't respect.) All the boards listed Marvin as #2 so it wasn't like he was a wildass pick.

So now I am looking forward to seeing what he can do. I figure that it will take some time to get the muscles in his hand back to normal so around the end of the year we should see the real Marvin.

• Premium Member

Yes, some of the realgm.com posters have maintained this theory for two years now that drafting Marvin meant we would go after JJ and if we drafted Paul or Deron we would not have went after him. It still makes no sense to me in two years. If JJ was a true point guard it would but he's not and no one has ever considered him to be anything but a two guard with good ball handling skills.

Quote:

Quote:

Include me in the "JJ would have signed with us regardless of whether he was going to play PG or SG" crowd.

That's what i think too.

I agree. And I think it was about JJ showing he was able to be The Man and take on the leadership for a team. He wanted to show the world what he was made of.