• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $440 of $700 target

Speedy may be hurt, but I believe he is 'stealing'

HAWKS1986

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

I think Claxton got a 4 year deal with around 6 million per just off the top of my head without googling it. I'm glad to see others are questioning why we wasted cap space on him though.

Claxton got injured. it was a freak occurence. all of a sudden the Hawks "wasted" capspace?

BOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

I invite you to look at Claxton's injury history over his career. If he doesn't fit the description "injury plagued" to a "T" I will eat Walter's hat. tongue.gif

a broken hand though? freak occurence.

I had this same argument several years ago on the AOL message board with Hendu. My thought was he was injury prone and we should keep L8r. Other poster thought a poked eyeball was more of a freak accident than an injury. Conclusion.... Hendu like Speedy was DNP prone.

Argue all you like whether or not Speedy is accident prone or injury prone or whatever prone, fact remains he is prone to missing basketball games.

Quote:

Quote:

This has been Speedy's third broken hand in his career so far...freak occurence?

I have always said Speedy is a good player...if you like someone who plays about 60-75% of the games. I can't believe there is this much commotion 11 games into the season about this though.

And his contract is in no way cap killer for some of the people suggesting that. It also is not $6 million per year for 4 years. I forgot who posted it and where they did it, but Speedy's contract is frontloaded. BK made a questionable player choice, but contract wise it was smart.

should BK have a player undergo a bone density test or something? i mean how do you explain 3 broken hands unless you're a catcher?

Quote:

Worst free-agent signing in Atlanta Hawks history.

Too early to say that. In the first few games, when he was not even in game shape, his awesome perimeter defense helped us restrict our opponents to 91 points a game. As soon as he stopped playing our defense went down the tank despite SW's improvements. (and that was when Chillz was still playing).

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

This has been Speedy's third broken hand in his career so far...freak occurence?

I have always said Speedy is a good player...if you like someone who plays about 60-75% of the games. I can't believe there is this much commotion 11 games into the season about this though.

And his contract is in no way cap killer for some of the people suggesting that. It also is not $6 million per year for 4 years. I forgot who posted it and where they did it, but Speedy's contract is frontloaded. BK made a questionable player choice, but contract wise it was smart.

should BK have a player undergo a bone density test or something? i mean how do you explain 3 broken hands unless you're a catcher?

Hey, some people hate him for doing a bone density check on Roy.

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Hey, some people hate him for doing a bone density check on Roy.

seriously. how do you explain somebody breaking their hand 3 times? i would think that's a freak occurence.

Quote:

How do I explain it? Well I do remember the first two times he broke his hand it was on his second metacarpal on his right hand. Now he broke his third metacarpal on his left hand. Three hand injuries, two on the same metacarpal. This isn't something that needs to be explained, it is just a fact of life. Speedy will get injured.

Quote:

...should BK have a player undergo a bone density test or something? i mean how do you explain 3 broken hands unless you're a catcher?

I imagine it will soon be part of the combine scoring Teke. BK on draft night: "his bench press is good but his BDT is only 6.085...we need a guy with at least a 6.250"... Ahhh...science.

Seriously though - a smaller guy - 5'11" or so - who drives to the basket alot, will get dinged up a bunch. They say once a bone is broken it heals back stronger - so the only fingers we really have to worry about are the ones that haven't been broken yet. smirk.gif

I think Speedy will come back OK - will he be able to consistently hit a jumper? That's the real question in my mind. But I'll sure take his defense over anything we've got now.

REAL injuries do unfortunately occur, but how do you test for 'heart' before committing to a player? At one point over the long holiday NBA TV ran a series on players who willed their teams to victory in the 80's and 90's; players we all know like Bird, Magic, Isaiah, and of course Jordan. One of the traits they shared was 'heart'. Not only did these guys bust their butts to raise some element of their game to another level each off-season, they came to camp prepared to play each year. You wouldn't catch Bird, Magic, or Jordan 'not in playing shape' or in street clothes on the bench due to some minor discomfort. Zeke almost broke his ankle in a late 80's series against the Lakers, but you couldn't keep his off the floor. Not only did he play on the severely sprained ankle, he was exceedingly effective. You couldn't help but share a tear with Jordan as he craddled the Bulls' first O'Brien trophy because you knew he had given 100% of his being all that year to accomplishing that team goal. And they were leaders because all of those around them saw each day their commitment to excellence and commitment to their teammates.

It's unreasonable to expect most of today's players to play at the skill level with which these guys played, but is it unreasonable to expect them to play with similar passion and heart and commitment to their teammates? Joe Johnson DOES appear to possess some of this desire, but who else? Some of the things you read about Marvin suggests that he may possess a bit of that passion. How do you determine if a player has such traits before signing him to a lengthy contract?

people love to complain about something.....i'm just as upset he's not playing as much as he should as anyone else but must we go into this Complain About This Player of the Week?

and Texas, several dud players BK has wanted? Again with the Bk bash..BK has actually done very well in bringing in players..I'm not sure if you actually see our roster or not but again I'll say this and everyone again needs to perk up the ol ears.....we are one year past THE YOUNGEST TEAM IN THE HISTORY OF THE NBA. and we currently have THE YOUNGEST TEAM IN THE LEAGUE.. the fact that we are where we are and we have this youth is a testament to BK's ability to bring in good young players.

Quote:

people love to complain about something.....i'm just as upset he's not playing as much as he should as anyone else but must we go into this Complain About This Player of the Week?

and Texas, several dud players BK has wanted? Again with the Bk bash..BK has actually done very well in bringing in players..I'm not sure if you actually see our roster or not but again I'll say this and everyone again needs to perk up the ol ears.....we are one year past THE YOUNGEST TEAM IN THE HISTORY OF THE NBA. and we currently have THE YOUNGEST TEAM IN THE LEAGUE.. the fact that we are where we are and we have this youth is a testament to BK's ability to bring in good young players.

i agree with most of that statement. however i see where their frustration is rooted. you are only as strong as your weakest position allows you to be as a team. BK has yet to fully address the PG position for 3 years running.

Actually we never offered Kenyon "My body is as cheap as something from KMART" Martin a max deal thats why he passed. He said if we would match Denver's offer then he would be happy to be here, but we never came close.

It was rumored we went after Damp, but I dont believe we even made him an offer. I can remember driving home from work, and listening to Buck go spew about how dumb BK was for not offering him a max deal. He would go on for weeks about how Damp was the ideal guy and we shouldnt p*ssy foot around offering him far less then fair market value, because if we didnt get him how bad we would be.

Quote:

Actually we never offered Kenyon "My body is as cheap as something from KMART" Martin a max deal thats why he passed. He said if we would match Denver's offer then he would be happy to be here, but we never came close.

Other way around. We offered him the max. Then he went to Denver and said he would go to Denver if they matched, they did and thats where he went to.

And BK has said numerous times that he went after Damp. He didn't offer as much as the Mavs did, but still he offered a substantial amount.

• Moderators

Quote:

Quote:

Other way around. We offered him the max. Then he went to Denver and said he would go to Denver if they matched, they did and thats where he went to.

And BK has said numerous times that he went after Damp. He didn't offer as much as the Mavs did, but still he offered a substantial amount.

We offered KMart the max. We offered a ton less than the Mavs did but made a much more realistic (still substantial) offer for Dampier.

Glad JJ wanted us and not them!

Quote:

....we are one year past THE YOUNGEST TEAM IN THE HISTORY OF THE NBA. and we currently have THE YOUNGEST TEAM IN THE LEAGUE.. the fact that we are where we are and we have this youth is a testament to BK's ability to bring in good young players.

Well really...the key to having a very young team is to be lousy for a number of years so that your draft picks are always in the lottery and the players are good enough to stick on an otherwise poor team.

BK did dump some bad contracts though - and it looks like the youth movement is starting to produce wins.