• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

How long before we buy Speedy out?

Wurider05

He was damaged goods before we got him. Now that he is paid he seems as if he doesn' want too play. i mean they are using his injury to say that his conditioning isn't there yet buy he had an hand injury not a leg injury.You see Marvin still participating in drills. If the knee injuries slow his down we just wasted 25 million dollars because he sure as hell can't shoot the ball. If this keeps up for a prolonged period of time BK may want to consider buying him out.

I'm of the opinion that due to his career performance he can't possibly be as bad as he has played so far for us. We new the injury factor was a buyer beware, but I'm still hoping his play will improve significantly.

Speedy is probably the biggest disappointment in our season so far.

These threads are retarded. We are 11 games into a 4 year contract and he's been injured. He came back a little too fast from his hand problem and his knees are sore now. He'll be fine. He showed flashes against the raptors of how he can penetrate for us, he's just not up to game speed. They've tried bringing him back to soon. Once he's well rested he'll do exactly what he was brought here to do. Play D, run the break, and penetrate.

• 1 month later...

I called this one out. I knew he was damaged goods before we signed him. How did he pass a physical or was BK so happy to get him that he forgot to make him take one. His knee condition will not get better and it is obvious he can't play through pain. BUY HIM OUT now!!!! Since he is overpaid he probably won't agree to any buyout. Without his "speed" he is useless to us because he can't do much of anything else.

Quote:

no reason to buy him out when none better are available...

Not true. It would get his salary off the books. You have to think beyond this year when we have plenty of salary cap room to 2 or 3 years from now when we may not have that room and Speedy will STILL be getting paid $6MM by the Hawks.

Quote:

Quote:

Not true. It would get his salary off the books.

That isn't how buy-outs work. Once you agree upon the buy-out amount (let's say...$15 million), then you distribute that amount over the life of the contract for how it affects the cap (so that would be $5 million each year for the next three years). Buying out his contract now would be counter productive.

Just about the only thing we could hope for to get out of this contract before it is over is if Speedy can't play due to injury. But, that isn't likely to happen and at this point would probably only get us out of the last season of his contract (which is only like $3-4 million). This whole buy-out topic is stupid, there is no reason for us to even offer a buy-out to Speedy. As frail as Speedy may be, he is stuck with us for the life of the contract unless we trade him.

I'm certainly not suggesting we offer him $15MM in a buy out! Why would we offer nearly the full value of his contract to buy him out? If we offered something considerably less, we could reduce the implication on our salary cap for years to come.

Quote:

Quote:

Why would we offer nearly the full value of his contract to buy him out?

Because his contract is guaranteed, there's no reason for Speedy to accept a buyout.

There is if he thinks he can make more money between the buyout and whatever another team would sign him for. After this year, he has somewhere around $18MM left on his contract for the remaining 3 years. So let's say we offer him $6MM as a buyout. If he believes he can go get a 3 year contract worth more than $12MM a year, he'd go for this.

• Premium Member

Quote:

I'm of the opinion that due to his career performance he can't possibly be as bad as he has played so far for us. We new the injury factor was a buyer beware, but I'm still hoping his play will improve significantly.

Speedy is probably the biggest disappointment in our season so far.

I agree and that is another failure on BK's sorry resume.

Quote:

Quote:

I'm certainly not suggesting we offer him $15MM in a buy out! Why would we offer nearly the full value of his contract to buy him out?

For one, that was a hypothetical situation, don't take it literally since I was doing you a favor in explaining buy-outs. The full value of the contract is $24 million. This year he makes $6.8 mil, making the rest of his contract worth $17.2 mil(I was mistaken about the last year of his contract, its about $5 mil not between $3-4). If you want me to pro-rate his contract's value right now the remaining value is about $21 mil (he has been payed about $3 mil so far this season). So actually an estimate of $15 mil is a pretty good guess as to what he might get. I only chose $15 mil because Speedy has 3 years left on the contract, so it is easy to say he gets paid $5 mil for each year.

Quote:

If we offered something considerably less, we could reduce the implication on our salary cap for years to come.

And why exactly would Speed accept an offer of considerably less? At this point in time he isn't likely to get an offer anywhere close to what we gave him.

I tend to agree, but I don't think we'd need to offer him $15MM after this year to get him to accept a buyout. That would suggest he only needs to find a team who will pay him $1MM a year. I think he can do better than that.

It sucks that he's hurt, but his career numbers show he is a low % shooter that plays very good defense and can penetrate to give teammates an open shot. The handful of games he's felt good, he's done just that. If he had enough playing time under his belt this season, he'd be among the league leaders in steals, so his defense is still good. His bad knees have slowed him down a little, but dang. Give the guy a little break. Last season, everyone griped and complained because we needed a guard that could penetrate and kick it out to an open man. Many clamored for Speedy. Now we've got him and folks want to write him off because he's been injured!

If they don't manage to keep the team it does them no good to have him bought out a player. That cost comes out of their pockets now, not the potential next owner's pockets later. They will undoubtedly defer buying out any contract. I am even shocked they front-loaded Speedy's deal for this reason, but 1-2 million vs $15 million is a big difference. If anything this tighten's the owners' purse strings even more while it continues that we do not have a starting caliber C or Pg prospect. BK should resign in shame over that ffact alone.

BTW, it's fairly easy to assess Chondromalacia Patella with certain hands on special tests. With a positive test you request and x-ray. With an x-ray you have cause to not sign said player or to alter the deal with team options or buyout clauses. These manual tests are ones I would do in ANY thurough orthopaedic examination. who does the hawk's physical exams?!? This either was noted and glossed over by management or not looked for (unlikely given Speedy's horrid injury history).

W

• Premium Member

Quote:

There is if he thinks he can make more money between the buyout and whatever another team would sign him for. After this year, he has somewhere around $18MM left on his contract for the remaining 3 years. So let's say we offer him $6MM as a buyout. If he believes he can go get a 3 year contract worth more than $12MM a year, he'd go for this

If there's any team in the NBA that could use Claxton, why wouldn't that team be the Hawks? A buyout is simply not an option anytime soon.

Deron Williams still has nightmares from Speedy's suffocating defense. You are forgetting how tenacious his defense was when he was 100%. How much money can you save with a buy out. Do you think you can get anybody significant with that money? Speedy can contribute more than that even if he plays 20 minutes a game for 20 games per season. Having said that BK must take responsibility for this because he gambled and it looks like he lost.