• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

How long before we buy Speedy out?

Wurider05

Quote:

Quote:

There is if he thinks he can make more money between the buyout and whatever another team would sign him for. After this year, he has somewhere around $18MM left on his contract for the remaining 3 years. So let's say we offer him $6MM as a buyout. If he believes he can go get a 3 year contract worth more than $12MM a year, he'd go for this

If there's any team in the NBA that could use Claxton, why wouldn't that team be the Hawks? A buyout is simply not an option anytime soon.

I don't actually think a buyout is a good option here. I was originally just responding to some joker who was saying "Gee, why would you buy him out if you can't get anyone better?" And I was pointing out that buyouts affect your cap room for years to come, so you can't just look at our current situation today and say "well, there's no other PG out there available in FA so there's no reason to do it." But in reality, I don't think we're going to be better off buying out Speedy's contract, and it's certainly not feasible given the current ownership situation.