If Gasol is "available", how much would you give?

Guest Walter

I would do that deal. Unfortunately this league relies on star potential. We have a star in JJ, a potential star in Marvin, and a more unlikely star candidate in Smith. Zaza is a nice young center too, though not a guy who will carry a team. Shelden is a dirty work guy that can do wonders, but I'd trade him for a star.

This would leave

Claxton/Lue

Johnson/

Marvin/Childress

Gasol/

Pachulia/Wright

as the real impact guys. We'd be trading depth for a better starting lineup, but I think I'd do it. I'd really hate to see Shelden and Smith go, and especially to break up our young core, but Gasol is a BEAST when healthy.

The real benefit is a better distribution of talent. Of your top 3 players (assuming Marvin blossoms how we hope he will), you'd have a shooter (JJ), a slasher (Marvin), and a post player (Gasol) to spread it all around. Not to mention Zaza. This is why I don't mind BK's moves as most as many. Teams are rarely kept together for a decade while they all grow. Trades are inevitable. Our team is doing well as is, but all players have exceptional trade value when we figure out who should go.

All that being said, I can't see this deal happening but it's fun to think about.

and about what I expected. All the way from steal to "NO WAY". I'd lean toward the steal side and don't understand why people wouldn't want a 21/9 7'1" guy who can defend at this price. A 1, 2 lineup punch of JJ and Gasol at least sounds dominating to me.

W

I wouldnt want him for the same reason memphis would want to trade him. He doesnt connect with the fan base the same way a foreign guy like dirk does. He is also hard to market. Dont get me wrong, if they offered him for Childress straight up or something ridiculous like that, i would jump all over it.

Besides, you saw how he flopped in the playoffs

Well considering we drafted this guy with the 3rd overall pick years ago and traded him to BK(Memphis) for a bunch of stiffs it would be pretty pathetic to get him back now. I think were giving up too much either way. I wouldn't give them our 1st rounder next year too. They are getting 2 starters in Smoove and Landlord and they haven't even came anywhere near their potential. Gasol is NOT a good defender either. He is weak inside.

Yea his numbers in the series looked nice, but actually watching him play was another story. As a "star" his performance was lackluster at best. Just my opinion though.

As far as him playing with a bona fide star in Joe, maybe your right. But I would want him closer to a role player than the star player. That should be shared between marvin and joe.

Quote:

Quote:

Gasol is NOT a good defender either.

Are you out of your mind?

No are you? I've seen him play a lot and for a guy that is 7'1 he is not that great of a defender in the post. I've seen him get abused by other players. He barely averages 2 blks a game for his career. Don't get me wrong the guy is a solid all around player but he isn't worth Smoove, Landlord and our 1st rounder next year. If we did that trade we would look like total idiots since we traded his draft rights in 2001 to BK and Memphis. Now we get him back and trade two guys that are already performing at a high level at only 20 and 23yrs old respectively and still have tons of untapped potential? Smoove will turn into a superstar while Shelden will be another Boozer type player if we did this. We would definitely be the laughing stock of the NBA for another 20 yrs . Thats just what would happen because were the Hawks

Quote:

...If we did that trade we would look like total idiots since we traded his draft rights in 2001 to BK and Memphis....

Well I doubt the trade is a real possibility - but that arguement doesn't wash. If we could get ahold of a guy like that without having to trade JJ I would say anybody else we have to trade would be an option we'd have to look at very seriously. The East isn't that good and an inside/outside combo like JJ and Gasol could really move us fast-forward.

• Premium Member

I'd have no problems making a resonable offer toget Gasol. We never should have traded our rights to draft him. He's a legit low post threat, good rebounders, can get some blocks and would give Joe Cool a legit second scoring option every night to play with.

Quote:

And?

Shelden is the better player, I would prefer to keep him over Zaza.

Zaza can play center. Shelden really can't if you want to play "big boy" basketball. undersized PFs are a dime a dozen in the NBA. centers are at a premium.

to paraphrase Walt here are we talking about winning a few games or are we talking about playing championship basketball?

your argrument holds water like a colander.