• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Marvin and Chillz are not saviors...

Diesel

• Premium Member

Quote:

i think chill will see lots of sf time as always

i think smoove will see more pf time when chill/marvin come back and shelden will see more center time than he has been (notice his per at c is VERY good, tho he's only played 7% of center mins thus far)

Nah, Smith will see less time period. And all of those other guys like Bozeman, Freije, & Stodamire will see no time unless there are other injuries. Both Marvin & Childress will eventually get 30 plus minute a piece.

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I do think Chill's minutes will go down. There's no way they'll go down below 20 though. But I think at this pace, Smith's will go down too. And JJ, as good as he is, is currently 2nd in the league in minutes per game. That's not good. Especially after playing this summer. It'll go down a little bit. We'll probably need a trade at some point, but there's no rush. It's fine if we find the right one, but no need to force one.

At the 2-5 positions you could average something like

JJ-38 mpg

Chill-27 mpg

Marvin- 27 mpg

Smith- 27 mpg

Shelden- 27 mpg

Solomon - 8 mpg

Wright - 10 mpg

Zaza - 28 mpg

That's the minutes that are available. It's tight but it's not like chill needs to average 17 minutes

• Premium Member

You act like it is FACT that they will get that many minutes. With our team it's gonna depend on who is playing well that night. Some nights they will get more, some less, depending on who we are playing.

And I love Chill and Marvin, but once Smith's shot starts falling don't start praising him..

• Admin

I appreciate your willingness to take the heat with a controversial but offbeat post, for the sake of conversation. I really do! I also know that you know what this team is right now, despite a recent string of posts to the contrary. We're not a championship contender and we don't need saviors. We need quality players, and that's what Marvin and Childress are.

You are correct about the summer league meaning nothing, but anyone who has seen both of them play, at this point, knows who has the more complete skill set and who doesn't. It will take a drastic step on Smooth's part to change that too.

Childress doesn't have to be anything more than he has been. He is a player that ANY coach in the league would welcome to their team. He may not be the most skilled, but he's a difference maker because he plays selfless, sound basketball.

To say we aren't better with Chill and Marvin is ridiculous. Now I know that Marvin, like Smoove has a couple more years before he really starts making noise in this league, the fact of the matter is they are sure as hell better than the backups we have getting too many minutes right now.

Getting CHill and Marvin will make our bench deeper and it will increase our offensive production. Josh Smith may be a great defender, but he is not going to knock down an open jumper quite like Marvin.

Personally, I look forward to seeing Marvin, Smoove, and Shelden all out of the floor at the same time.

Hell if you really wanted a sick lineup you'd go:

JJ

CHill

Marvin

Smoove

Shelden

Everyone can dribble, rebound, create their own shots, and play D.

Not to mention the athleticism.

• Premium Member

Quote:

I appreciate your willingness to take the heat with a controversial but offbeat post, for the sake of conversation. I really do! I also know that you know what this team is right now, despite a recent string of posts to the contrary.

That was flawlessly stated.

• Premium Member

Quote:

And I love Chill and Marvin, but once Smith's shot starts falling don't start praising him..

There are other offensive skill apart from shooting you know right. The secret to scoring consistently is getting to the free throw line. Childress and Marvin will get to the free throw line.

I briefly skimmed the rest of the posts after seeing Diesel post his most recent ludicrous statement, so forgive me if I'm repeating someone. But when I read

We are the same team with Marvin and Chillz... we are only slightly better.

I wondered, how much better? Would it be a stretch to say that adding Marvin and Chillz would be enough to make a six point spread in the scored/allowed column? Based on the PPG they had had last year as opposed to those who are playing in their stead right now (Take your pick of Shelden, Salim, and Smoove's extra minutes)

By that allotment, if the Hawks could score six more points a game, They would be 11-2 by my count. A loss to Philadelphia to start the season where the team hadn't meshed yet, and a loss to Orlando, the best team in the (albeit weak) Eastern Conference. In my mind, if a player can change over a third of the games you play from losses to wins, then that qualifies as a savior to me.

Being a savior is highly dependent on how much you need to be saved. Right now, all the Hawks need is someone else who can play solid offense consistently to get the pressure off of JJ, and someone who can hustle on defense. Both Chill and Marvin can do that, and thus both can be saviors of the franchise.

Also, anything that can get Josh Smith away from his 40 minutes a game has to be considered wonderful.

Quote:

To say we aren't better with Chill and Marvin is ridiculous. Now I know that Marvin, like Smoove has a couple more years before he really starts making noise in this league, the fact of the matter is they are sure as hell better than the backups we have getting too many minutes right now.

Getting CHill and Marvin will make our bench deeper and it will increase our offensive production. Josh Smith may be a great defender, but he is not going to knock down an open jumper quite like Marvin.

Personally, I look forward to seeing Marvin, Smoove, and Shelden all out of the floor at the same time.

Hell if you really wanted a sick lineup you'd go:

JJ

CHill

Marvin

Smoove

Shelden

Everyone can dribble, rebound, create their own shots, and play D.

Not to mention the athleticism.

I totally areee BusBOy! This lineup would be ABSOLUTELY sick. Every player can score at will and the athleticism is off the charts. I hope Woody plays this lineup at times of the game because it would awesome to see.

This post is like debating Diesel on whether the ball is round or the sky is blue. Naw, adding two solid NBA players back into your rotation doesn't help much. Right, Diesel? The Marvin hate will eventually expose you further.

I'm sure the coaching staff doesn't care if or when Marvin and Chill come back because they have their team.

As the Hawks improve during the next couple of years you may want to switch over to another team. A wretched team where you can be truly miserable, like maybe the Grizzlies.

Come on Diesel you can do better that this. What's the matter. You just bored and wanting some replies? Maybe you just need to build up those stats.

MWill and Chillz are not our saviors; well here is another news flash, neither is Smoove or Shelden. But having all four of them is a dang sight better than only having two. I just do not know why you have to be so negative about our players. Especially after nights that we are on the winning side of the scoreboard.

Quote:

Come on Diesel you can do better that this. What's the matter. You just bored and wanting some replies? Maybe you just need to build up those stats.

MWill and Chillz are not our saviors; well here is another news flash, neither is Smoove or Shelden. But having all four of them is a dang sight better than only having two.

Diesel would gladly trade all 4 of them in a 4 on 1 deal for Al Harrington.

Quote:

I keep reading about Marvin and Chillz coming to save the Hawks. We are the same team with Marvin and Chillz... we are only slightly better.

Marvin

Marvin is unproven. Smoove is actually better. A lot of people here make a big todo about Marvin's Summer League. Summer League means absolutely nothing.... Ask Foye, Sene, and Shelden about the meaning of SL? Plus it will take some time for Marvin to get into basketball shape anyway.

Chillz

Chillz is one of my favorite players, but he's still JJ's BU. The fact that JJ plays almost 42 mpg means that Chillz won't play as much. Especially being that Speedy's coming back and Lue's been huge... When does Chillz get time?

This is reality. The team we're seeing now are the Hawks... There's no hidden immunity idol...

There is nothing wrong with this post except saying that Smoove is better than Marvin, but maybe the injury will effect MArvin more than we think.

Quote:

To get Childress Minutes all we would really have to do is:

PG - Speedy/Lue

SG - Chillz

SF - JJ

PF - Marvin

C - Shelden

That is the best team we can put on the floor, IMO! Most talented and dependable, IMO.

Hmmmm....you may be right blush.gif

would take a better coach though...or at least a different one. Woody wouldn't understand how a lineup like that could work