• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $440 of $700 target

Hawks Untouchables....

Diesel

• Premium Member

I say that Zaza is untouchable because if he were to leave, I don't think we have a suitable replacement. Zaza does a lot.

TLue is why we are winning. When Lue comes in in the fourth, he brings big shots with him. If we are up and TLue comes in, then he knows how to waste time and steady the ship. If we are down when TLue comes in, he can hit the big shots. Last night, it was evident that with Speedy, JJ, Salim, Smoove, and Wright on the floor, we couldn't mount a whole lot of offense. Lue and Zaza came in for the last 4 minutes of play or so and they helped rebuild our lead.

speedy

jj/chill

marvin/smoove

shelden

zaza

those are the 7 for me; they can be here long-term for our championship run of the future

i don't wanna get rid of lue this year, tho (not until we get another pg to backup speedy for now and groom to be starting pg of the future)...and i wanna hang onto slim and solo to see what they will give us in the future as well...

so those are my 10 that i don't wanna trade this year

and lo is a good vet to have down lo for us this year as well

the other 4 people on our team are end-of-bench for now and can be substituted by others (ivey/bozeman/frieje/batman)

btw, they obviously aren't untradeable...i just don't wanna see them traded right now; we are youngest team ever and our players are all growing and improving...i don't wanna give up on them too early...look at jj now vs a few years ago...i wanna wait maybe 2 years and then see what we are missing to get to that championship run and what we can lose to get that missing piece without taking a step back

• Moderators

Guys who are actually untouchable?

No one.

But the closest is JJ. No one else is close to untouchable, IMO.

Would you trade Zaza for a half dozen other guys in the league? Yes. Is he untouchable then? No.

Same for T. Lue (although it is a longer list at PG than at C).

Both guys are key guys on this team but they aren't irreplacable and that is what you need to be to be truly untouchable.

i want to see all of them play at least through their exensions. i remember the old celtics how they would never trade any of their pieces and the players wouldn't bolt for free agency. i don't see why we would need to trade any of them. their only avg. 22 years old and they are already in the middle of the pack in the NBA! what do you think they are going to look like when they are 25-27-30 yrs old. no one would be able to outsmart them just because they would have played with each other for so long. if BK really wants to do something different, he won't be like other GM's and keep all of his youngsters.

JJ is untradable in my book. While there are a handful of players who are better than he is, the risk he took in coming to Atlanta makes him untradeable. So were Cleveland to offer LBJ for JJ, I'd politely decline. The city of Atlanta would hate me, but I'm sticking to my guns.

(Obviously, if LA were to trade Kobe, Bynum, and a 1st, then I'd bite the bullet, but honestly now...One on one, he doesn't get traded)

Also, I'd have to be overwhelmed for Josh Smith, because I don't believe that for what he brings to the team, we could get a fair trade. Even on his off nights, Smith is good for 10/7/2 blocks, and it's very evident that he does not play smart at all right now. He showed flashes of smart basketball (driving) against Portland, which had a lot of very capable big men (As Lo found repeatedly), and he obviously wasn't afraid to get contact. And like Diesel, I stood up and cheered when he pumped Z-Bo out from the three and drove around him. (This being said, I'm also not convinced that he deserves to start when everyone comes back. In the future, certainly.)

To a lesser extent, Childress and Lue's value to the team far outweighs their fantasy sports value, but were the right trade to come along, it wouldn't be that difficult to let them go. (I think I would cry with happiness if we could pull Marvin/Chill/Lue for Randolph/Rodriguez, but Portland wouldn't do that)

Quote:

I think I would cry with happiness if we could pull Marvin/Chill/Lue for Randolph/Rodriguez, but Portland wouldn't do that

Wow. Really?

I would most likely make that trade, but I'd really have to think about it. Definitely wouldn't cry with happiness. We're giving up a LOT there. The kicker is getting a near-dominant PF. Those are tough to acquire. Smoove/Randolph would be a nasty forward tandem.

Quote:

Quote:

I think I would cry with happiness if we could pull Marvin/Chill/Lue for Randolph/Rodriguez, but Portland wouldn't do that

Wow. Really?

I would most likely make that trade, but I'd really have to think about it. Definitely wouldn't cry with happiness. We're giving up a LOT there. The kicker is getting a near-dominant PF. Those are tough to acquire. Smoove/Randolph would be a nasty forward tandem.

All we lose in this scenario is depth. Lue has deservedly gotten praise for being able to make shots. A lot of them. It takes the scoring burden off of JJ. What would take the burden off even more would be to add Randolph in the post. We saw how much of a dominant offensive player he can be, and while he isn't a game-changing defensive player, he is a better defensive player than Smoove would be if he started at PF. The backup PG spot that Lue had is immediately replaced by Rodriguez, who completely revitalizes that role to adapt. He now has the ability to dish to Johnson, who can hit the spot from anywhere on the floor and no longer has to worry about always creating his own shot with the entire defense collapsed on him, Randolph, who we already saw how effective that tandem was, and the suddenly VERY scary Smith, who is now a third option on offense and is helped by the ball movement the way it was expected for Speedy to improve his game. I hate losing Childress, but he fills the talent gap. I'd actually be willing to throw in either Salim or a 2nd rounder onto the Atlanta side of the deal.

Claxton/Johnson/Smith/Randolph/Zaza with Rodriguez and Shelden off the bench is a lot more varied and scary than Claxton/Johnson/Marvin/Smoove/Zaza with Shelden, Lue, and Childress.

However, this also hinges on Randolph's willingness to play. We saw him as a bust last year once he got his contract, but he seems to be a different player this year.

Claxton/Rodriguez

Johnson/Stoudamire

Smith

Randolph/Shelden/Solomon

Zaza/Lorenzen

with whatever combination of NBDL jokes Woodson wants to put in. The team could go small and fast with Claxton, Rodriguez, Johnson, Smith, and Solomon, or could play big and strong with Johnson, Smith, Solomon, Shelden, and Randolph.

Coincidentally, Smith's ability to fit in either lineup is part of what makes him so valuable, and the same could potentially be said for Solomon in the future.

• Premium Member

Actually,

I would start to call Randolph dominant. I mean, he doesn't play defense. He has been on that PTL team since Smitty left and since Smitty left, they have been in the basement. I like his offense, but I think Shelden will give us much more defensively.

• Moderators

Quote:

Actually,

I would start to call Randolph dominant. I mean, he doesn't play defense. He has been on that PTL team since Smitty left and since Smitty left, they have been in the basement. I like his offense, but I think Shelden will give us much more defensively.

I agree about having misgivings about Randolph. This is the first season he has stepped up and he has had a litany of off-court problems in the past. I don't know if he has the mental makeup to lead a team or not. I am not sold on him.

Quote:

I think I would cry with happiness if we could pull Marvin/Chill/Lue for Randolph/Rodriguez

omg, NO

i would cry out in disgust and throw away my box of corndogs

with marvin/smoove/shelden/zaza, we have no need for randolph, who doesn't even play defense

and rodriguez is a nice pg, but not at marvin/chill/lue's expense

chill is a difference maker on this team and should NOT be traded and marvin is set to break out and get to the line 5-7+ times/game

ugh ugh ugh

remember, we score enough points to win games, especially when marvin/chill come back

it's our defense that wins us ball games...are are top 10 in the league in least points allowed this year...and marvin/chill are 2 of our 3 best perimeter defenders...if chill played in the cle game, we win it, since he does a good job on lbj...

u wanna trade away 2 of our 3 best perimeter defenders to get 2 non-defensive players...

offense doesn't win games as consistently as defense does