• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $440 of $700 target

Hawks face major adversity tonight !!!

coachx

Hawks fans, the game tonight at Denver will test the Hawks heart and will much more than their skill.

ZA ZA could miss tonight due to a suspension for elbowing Petro vs. Seattle last night. Speedy could be out too.

Talk about digging deep. Maybe Solom Jones will have a break out game or L. Wright manages to play 35 minutes. We will probably need both of these things to have a prayer considering how we looked last night. The energy was low last night. With the present roster decimated by injuriesd our only prayer is to out hustle teams. Now we have to play a back to back game missing 4 quality players, (Chils, Marvin, Speedy, Za Za).

If we win tonight credit will have to be given to the team as a whole for their resiliency, heart, and determination. If they lose, well, thats is nothing to hang your heads about considering the current situation.

Why would Zaza miss the game for a suspension when he wasn't even called for the foul. The foul was called on Petro not Zaza. I don't think they can give him a suspension after the fact especially when the refs didn't even give Zaza a foul. Either way this game is going to take a miracle to win with all of our injuries.

that was one of the cheapest shots I have ever seen someone take in the NBA. The only reason the refs didn't call anything on him is that they couldn't see what happened from their angle, at least according to the "announcers".

Personally I hope he gets suspended for a couple of games and realizes that taking cheap shots like that when he is frustrated from being completely outplayed won't cut it.

• Premium Member

I'm not going to call it a cheap shot. I think more the point was that he was Flailing out of control and hit Petro.

He started his Patrick Ewing like stroll through the lane. Petro bumped gave him a hip check on one side and somebody else hit him from the opposite side... Zaza being one to flop , did so and I think he hit Petro with his flailing.

Slowed down and played from a few angles, I think it was worse than it was.

Quote:

I'm not going to call it a cheap shot. I think more the point was that he was Flailing out of control and hit Petro.

He started his Patrick Ewing like stroll through the lane. Petro bumped gave him a hip check on one side and somebody else hit him from the opposite side... Zaza being one to flop , did so and I think he hit Petro with his flailing.

Slowed down and played from a few angles, I think it was worse than it was.

Zaza had bad intentions. you can tell he was very frustrated and he let his feelings be known by shooting a chicken wing at Petro's head.

look at his body language as he's (Zaza) backing away. it hasn't changed since pickup games in 10th grade. you can tell when a guy is p!ssed, and Zaza definately fit the bill.

I meant that several factors together will cause tha Hawks to face major adversity, not just missing Za za.

Thise is where adversity comes in:

1. Missing Za za, Speddy, Chils, Marvin, causing a super thin rotation.

2. Playing back to back games in the high altitude in Denver.

The players will naturally be fatigued, compounded by thin air and a thin bench = major adversity.

If Zaza is out I'd start this Roster.

PG Salim

SG JJ

SF Free Stiff

PF Shelden

C- Smoove

Then run like we stole something. This is the only lineup that could score with the West Coast teams.

For those worrying about Salim at the point, think of it like this. The west doesn't play tough D anyway. Let him and Free Stiff park at the 3 point line and fire away. Put JJ on Melo and pray for the best.

Quote:

Quote:

Then run like we stole something

So you want the Hawks to play a run and gun game on the second game of a back to back when they are short handed playing in the thin air of Denver?

why not? grin.gif

if you are going to use having the youngest team in the NBA as a crutch then i think you should also be held accountable when you don't let them get out and run around these old farts on other teams tongue.gif

I agree to some extent. These guys are professional athletes, and they're young as all get out. If they can't run in Denver after a game last night, then I think there's something wrong with them. Use the bench, pressure on D, and run like crazy. Rest tomorrow. They CAN run tonight, the question is, do they want to? And does Woodson want them to?

I think its just not Woody's style to have a team that runs. If we had a guy that preached it the players would believe in it, and it wouldn't matter where we are or how often we're playing, you would still play at a fast pace and let the reserves spell you when you're tired.

Quote:

I agree to some extent. These guys are professional athletes, and they're young as all get out. If they can't run in Denver after a game last night, then I think there's something wrong with them. Use the bench, pressure on D, and run like crazy. Rest tomorrow. They CAN run tonight, the question is, do they want to? And does Woodson want them to?

I think its just not Woody's style to have a team that runs. If we had a guy that preached it the players would believe in it, and it wouldn't matter where we are or how often we're playing, you would still play at a fast pace and let the reserves spell you when you're tired.

i am not a proponent of moving to basketball's verion of the "run and shoot" offense.

however, does the coaching staff in place either a. possess the philosophy or b. the adaptability to maximize the talent on this roster?

Quote:

I have been to Denver and did not experience any effects from the altitude when exercising (60 mile bike ride less then 24 hours after arriving) so I think the effects of the altitude on professional athletes is a little overstated.

i used to go to Arvada (sp?) which is higher than Denver, not sure how much, each spring break. it kicked my butt.

in fact i remember walking up the Red Rocks ampitheater from the bottom to the top. i thought my lungs were going to explode.

http://www.nba.com/news/Pachulia_061206.html

Tonight i want to see more of Shelden and Solomon, and i want to see them get more looks on offense. Zaza and Smith have had more than their share of opportunities and haven't produced. I think it is time to see what other guys can do.

The suspension will force Woody to play these guys more but still he needs to get them more shots.