• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Is sitting Speedy the wise move ?

coachx

Not being an insider - I don't know. But I do know that once I heard he was out last night, Ridnour would likely have a big night. He was a big part of our problem.

Lewis was hot enough to pretty much match JJ (29pts to 34pts)...our lack of rebounding hurt us a bunch...but Ridnour was always making something happen or driving past our PG when we looked like we were going to make a run. With Speedy's defense we may have been able to make it a game late.

We also looked clueless on a couple fast break opportunities.

Frustrating. frown.gif

Quote:

Just wondering:

1. Has management come to the conclusion that sitting Speedy is the best move to allow him to get his knees fully healthy.

2. Or are his knees damaged more than there letting on ?

and soon. if Speedy's knees don't get any better they may elect to do some arthroscopic surgery. then he'll be gone for weeks if not months.

this team cannot function without a viable #1 or #2 option to Lue at the point.

a midseason trade, while rare in the NBA, is in order IMO.

Quote:

The only guy with any value the Hawks could trade is Salim, so a midseason trade is unlikely unless they want to ship out Lue to a contender before the deadline.

trading Lue would be counterproductive at this juncture.

it's decision time for the Hawks. either make some bold moves to shore up the roster or commit to a lottery run.

the lottery run is far riskier with that top 3 protection. that and i can't stand another 2-13 stretch grin.gif

How can Speedy possibly need surgery on his knees already? He wasn't even hurt so I don't even understand where this friggin knees soreness came from. It was his damn finger that was broke. This would be a total disaster if it happened. We HAVE to make a trade if Speedy goes down for months for sure.

Quote:

A possible trade partner would be Boston. They have two good backup PGs in Rondo and West and Rondo has just been benched (for lack of offensive output).

a Rondo trade would solve a long-term problem. 2 birds with one stone.

what can Billy offer? he can't trade another first rounder I don't believe.

Rondo is worth a future first rounder after we give one to Phx IMO.

risky business, however we do have Indy's pick. I think it will be in the 15 range. Rondo was picked at what, 17? i know this draft is going to be deep. hmmm......

Quote:

A possible trade partner would be Boston. They have two good backup PGs in Rondo and West and Rondo has just been benched (for lack of offensive output).

any details? I know he went off early and created a mini-buzz. Is it perimeter shooting that is lacking again? If so we may have enough to cover for him - especially if he can drive to the basket.

Quote:

...risky business, however we do have Indy's pick. I think it will be in the 15 range. Rondo was picked at what, 17? i know this draft is going to be deep. hmmm......

Yeah - we really can't predict where the Indy pick will fall (not very likely lottery). It could even be a 20+ before it's all over this season. Agreed a deal like that would be a risk but it may be worth it.

As far as our own pick...no way will Stern let us have a 1-2-3 pick in this lottery anyway. smirk.gif

Quote:

Quote:

...risky business, however we do have Indy's pick. I think it will be in the 15 range. Rondo was picked at what, 17? i know this draft is going to be deep. hmmm......

Yeah - we really can't predict where the Indy pick will fall (not very likely lottery). It could even be a 20+ before it's all over this season. Agreed a deal like that would be a risk but it may be worth it.

As far as our own pick...no way will Stern let us have a 1-2-3 pick in this lottery anyway. smirk.gif

Atlanta is a big market, especially for the NBA. for Atlanta to have a viable team is big for the NBA, especially considering merchandising. think about the demographics of Atlanta GA vs. Minneapolis Minnesota.

Quote:

Quote:

All 8 western playoffs teams will have better records than Indi. So, I bet the pick would be high teens at worst. An injury, which is a possibility, could bring it down to the low teens.

Quote:

I would take either one. Delonte isn't a traditional pg. He is really an undersized 2. However he can play D and is a very good shooter.

Don't let this years percentages fool you this guy can shoot. However i think his confidence has been hurt by the fact that they brought in Telfair and Rondo.

His downside is that he isn't a natural distributor and doesn't push the ball well on the break.

I am not sure what the Celtics would want from us in a trade.

Quote:

Quote:

The only guy with any value the Hawks could trade is Salim, so a midseason trade is unlikely unless they want to ship out Lue to a contender before the deadline.

trading Lue would be counterproductive at this juncture.

it's decision time for the Hawks. either make some bold moves to shore up the roster or commit to a lottery run.

the lottery run is far riskier with that top 3 protection. that and i can't stand another 2-13 stretch grin.gif

I agree, you only trade Lue at the deadline if management has determined that the playoffs are not going to happen. If some combination of Lue, Salim or the Indy pick can net a prospect like Rondo, Farmer, Williams then the team needs to consider it once it concedes the playoffs. If they remain in the playoff hunt then it would be unlikely they make a move.

• Moderators

Quote:

Quote:

any details? I know he went off early and created a mini-buzz. Is it perimeter shooting that is lacking again? If so we may have enough to cover for him - especially if he can drive to the basket.

His perimeter shooting is aweful and he is naturally impaired in any kind of perimeter shot (I'm including FTs) because his hands are abnormally large for his body. This helps his ballhandling and defense but hurts his jumper. He also has to develop in terms of offensive IQ - at UK he dominated the ball more than he should have when it would have been better for the team to just make an easy pass.

However, Rondo is a stud athlete and a good passer. He can be a special defender and is good at penetrating. The problem for him is that teams can dramatically sag off of him on the perimeter and it ends up being like playing 4 on 5 offensively.

West is more experienced and a natural fit to integrate into this team, IMO. He is solid defensively and a pretty good shooter. He is a combo guard with good height and is not a true PG.

------------

Either West or Rondo would be a nice addition to this team, although I am not sure what we would give up for them. I would be very hesitant to give up the Indy pick based on the strength of this draft class but we would probably need to give that up to get either one of those guys.

Quote:

...His perimeter shooting is aweful and he is naturally impaired in any kind of perimeter shot (I'm including FTs) because his hands are abnormally large for his body. This helps his ballhandling and defense but hurts his jumper...

I say trade for him now as we need his ballhandling and defense short-term...then clip his fingers in the offseason to improve his jumper grin.gif.

• Moderators

Quote:

Another weakness for Delonte is that he doesn't get to the line hardly at all.

West clearly isn't a perfect player. The fact that the Celtics brought in 2 PGs shows that. However, I do think that with JJ's abilities, he would be a good fit for this team - especially defensively.