• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Is sitting Speedy the wise move ?

coachx

The problem with Rondo is two fold.

First, while he is great at pushing the ball on the break and defending on the break, he's equally as bad in half court sets on both ends of the floor. Right now, his lack of size and strength is hurting him in half court sets.

Second, he simply isn't a good shooter. I really liked his potential coming out of Kentucky, and I believe that he will be a very capable point guard with some time. He's got to get stronger and work on his jumper though.

Quote:

The problem with Rondo is two fold.

First, while he is great at pushing the ball on the break and defending on the break, he's equally as bad in half court sets on both ends of the floor...

Can't argue the problems KB - but the strengths as far as transition skills - is one of the key things we need to get out on the fast break (and D). Diesel mentioned in another post - in order to run you have to rebound, have a PG who can push and make decisions at speed (paraphrasing), and have finishers. We have finishers (1/3 of the equasion) - Rondo may be able to provide another 1/3 - and SW and Solomon are developing into the other third. It might be worth the gamble.

I remember when DJ couldn't hit the side of a barn and they were laying off of him in the half court offense. It didn't keep the Celtics from winning (just substitute JJ for Bird in that equasion). Let em lay off - pass it to your point forward (or SG) and move without the ball and try to post up a smaller PG. Then a guy like Rondo goes from being an offensive liabilty to a threat.

Ridnour doesn't help us any defensively though. That's the biggest thing we miss with Speedy out of the line up. His ability to pressure the ball and give help defense sets the tone for this team defensively. When he plays, the Hawks play good team defense. Without him, the Hawks play lousy defense. The Hawks are 10 points better per 100 possessions defensively when Speedy is on the court. Defense at the point guard position for this team is very important, and as much as Ty Lue means to the offense with his ability to hit the open jumper and create instant offense, he simply doesn't bring the type of defense this team needs. A healthy Speedy in combo with Ty Lue is great for this team.

I like Luke Ridnour, but he simply doesn't fit with this team given the emphasis on defense.

I agree with you, but I'm not sure Rondo helps us much this year. The main reason is that he still has to learn how to defend in the half court setting. As I detailed in another post in this thread, that's what Speedy is so good at. He's a great defensive point guard that knows how and when to pressure the ball handler, how and when to play the passing lanes, and how and when to sag down to help his post defense. The Hawks are so much better defensively with Speedy in the game that the effects of not having him on the floor is pretty obvious.

I think Rajon Rondo will eventually be able to give you that kind of defense. Just not right now, so I don't think trading for him helps us a great deal in the short term.