• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $440 of $700 target

Why can't Smoove defend PF's?

Blunt91

This post is a little late as it refers to the Seattle game but Smoove get's manhandled by average Powerforwards in the game. Wilcox is not all that big, as a matter of fact he andJosh are about the same size so why is it that he was able to back Josh down so easily? Seems like hitting the weight room still hasn't helped Smoove from getting push around so easily. The last 2 games in my opinion show where Smoove should play. He did a good job against Mello who is a Small Forward but defended poorly against Wilcox who is a Powerforward. I am not dogging smoove, I am just trying to figure out why a guy his size is easily pushed around by guys who are the same size or not much bigger than him?

Cause he doesn't use his body when trying to guard someone like Wilcox. I see a lot of time that Smoove let's his man push him inside so that he can try to block his shot. I think he is strong enough, if only someone can tell him and practice with him than he would be fine. I see JJ pushing around guys that are 6-10 250 and he is only 6-7 230 but he is strong like a rock.

He doesnt use his body or positioning at all I think he will learn that as he plays more PF for this team. I hope he learn how to hold his ground because guys like Wilcox should not be backing him down like that. Smith has a similar build to Amare and about the same height in 6'9-6'10. If Amare can defend the post I see no reason why Smith cant esp with his long body and good shot blocking. Another Similar guy in body type and height is Jermaine Oneal which defend well in the post. I think Smith has to get the mindset to be physical and muscle up vs alot of these bigs he still plays soft for the type of body he has.

Quote:

This post is a little late as it refers to the Seattle game but Smoove get's manhandled by average Powerforwards in the game. Wilcox is not all that big, as a matter of fact he andJosh are about the same size so why is it that he was able to back Josh down so easily? Seems like hitting the weight room still hasn't helped Smoove from getting push around so easily. The last 2 games in my opinion show where Smoove should play. He did a good job against Mello who is a Small Forward but defended poorly against Wilcox who is a Powerforward. I am not dogging smoove, I am just trying to figure out why a guy his size is easily pushed around by guys who are the same size or not much bigger than him?

...those instincts. He's not a Pf, wasn't one during his formative years, and doesn't want or know how to be one. The ONLY reason anyone would WANT to make JS a Pf is because of MW being on the team. That's unfair and criticism of any AK47-style Sf is simply crazy.

W

Smoove can defend soft PF's like Nowitski or KG if you classify them as PF's. He cant defend powerful ones due in part to his natural tendencies but moreso I agree with EDS, he's put on upper body muscle but I bet he hasnt put on much leg/core strength. He's very young and will develop more strength but I doubt he'll ever be near as strong as Shelden or Wilcox. Actually, Wilcox, Collison, and Amare are much stronger than you think. What I really dont wanna see is him trying to defend Tim Duncan. But Smoove is much faster and more explosive than most PF's, he'll just have to learn minimize his loss of post position and then out athletic them.

• Premium Member

To answer your question:

Wilcox has been a big PF type for most of his career. Even at Maryland, he was athletic with a post game. Smoove on the other hand didn't encounter many post games. He may have defended Howard a time or two.. however, Smoove just don't have experience against experienced post players.

I would bet good money that JJ could post Smoove up easily.

One other reason is that Smoove is primarily a Shot blocker. He has turned to blocking shots as defense and hasn't concentrated on post defense. He needs to spend some time working out with Shelden. Shelden plays darn good positional defense. Shot blockers who don't play good positional defense are normally faked out of position.