• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Why in the world do you think Iverson would fit ?

coachx

• Replies 104
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Quote:

We need a center who can actually play D. Without that the Hawks will never be title contenders regardless of any other moves they make.

Good point. But where are we going to get one? Are you saying that if we don't trade for AI, a dominant center will magically appear to save the day for us?

We're already playing .500 ball, so don't count on Greg Oden. And the Hawks are a league-wide joke right now, plus teams don't just let guys like Howard or Duncan walk away in free agency...so I wouldn't hold my breathe on that front either.

If you're BK and you have reason to believe Dwight Howard wants to come home and will demand a trade, that's one thing. But otherwise, a doubt a big-time center comes our way in the next two years one way or the other.

So to me, Josh Smith and a mid-first round draft pick (plus a bunch of salary) is a bargain for AI. I would think hard about doing it. If they demanded Marvin, then no deal. But I hardly think having AI on our roster for 2 years is going to cost us the next great center.

And at some point you need to make a bold move, win some gains, and get some excitment and legitimacy around here...as long as it doesn't cost you your future. To me, giving up Josh Smith and an OK draft pick, when we have Marvin, Chill, Shelden, and Solomon, is not going to set you back that far.

Again, I'm just saying that it would be something to consider, and it's not really fair to act like having AI around would be the ruin of this team.

• Premium Member

Quote:

You are the cap guru and you are asking me?

You have cap space to attract that center if you don't make the trade, you have the MLE (plus any "clout" having AI would bring) if you do.

Not a whole lot of difference IMO.

Are you suggesting throwing $50M at Darko Milicic in the offseason? Because how else are you going to acquire that center?

Quote:

You do realize that a lot of the people that show up in Philips arena actually are there to cheer for the other team, right? And that the Sixers sell out everywhere they go around the league because people want to see AI? And that the situation in Philly after more than a decade with AI is far different than the situation in Atlanta, where Philips Arena is almost synonymous with "empty" in the consciousness of most basketball fans.

No. I go to every home game. This has changed a lot. As of 2 years ago half the arena was cheering for the other team. Now the vast majority of the arena are rooting for the hawks. You still get a presence of Lebron / Kobe fans when those teams are in town, but it's minor compared to a couple of years ago. The point is we have a decent attendance with momentum going the right way. It's not worth risking our team's future to get a small temporary attendance boost.

Here is the crux of the matter in my opinion. The East is a very bad conference right now. One would think that a top 5 superstar could at least lead his team to respectability. Especially when he has Iggy and a few other OK pieces. But the 76ers are horrible. How can they be this bad with a player supposedly that good? I know Mo Cheeks is a pretty crappy coach but something about AI doesn't add up. This guy, I think, is shooting like 41% for his CAREER. I don't know about anybody else, but WHY do you want to let a 41% shooter chuck up that many shots? It makes zero sense and really never has...I propose that AI is one of the most overrated players ever. He led the sixers on that one run to the finals and that pretty much sums it up. I really don't believe he has ever really made his teammates better. And we already HAVE a superstar whether we acknowledge it or not. JJ is the real deal and the kind of star you want on your team. JJ shoots a high percentage and gets others involved. I believe when we get our squad healthy we are on to something. AI is fools gold...plus, the man is on the downside real soon. This trade makes no sense for the Hawks and I doubt BK looks at it.

Quote:

You have cap space to attract that center if you don't make the trade, you have the MLE (plus any "clout" having AI would bring) if you do.

Not a whole lot of difference IMO.

The difference is that we won't be able to offer any more than the other 29 teams in the league.

Quote:

We need a center who can
actually play D
. Without that the Hawks will never be title contenders regardless of any other moves they make.

Quote:

Good point. But where are we going to get one? Are you saying that if we don't trade for AI,
a dominant
center will magically appear to save the day for us?

Nice twisting of the words there.

The Sixers play HORRIBLE team defense. That's why they don't win games. Webber might as well be a Rocky statue out on the floor, and Sammy is a very overrated center. Thank God that we didn't sign that kid.

When you look at some of the players that AI had to play with, you just have to laugh.

Most playoff teams have 2 very good players on their team. AI has maybe had that twice in his career.

And if you don't have another very good player on your team, you better have 6 - 7 good players that won't kill you on either end of the court. The Sixers these days might have 2 good players outside of Iverson. Iggy and Rodney Carney ( when he learns the NBA game ).

• Premium Member

Quote:

You can. If you start comparing the supporting cast.

Lemme see.

Dalembert has at least 3 fouls in 15 of 17 games.

Chris Webber is shooting 37% and 45% on FTs.

Randolph is out for at least 4 months.

Korver plays no defense.

Green is undersized.

Carney is inexperienced.

Hunter has the BBall IQ of a squirrel.

Iguodala has been good at least.