• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Why in the world do you think Iverson would fit ?

coachx

• Replies 104
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Quote:

Let me say in Iverson's defense that you should compare true shooting %s rather than the raw fg% when evaluating him because of his astronically high (traditionally) number of free throw attempts. The guy could shoot 30% from the floor and be a highly efficient scorer if he hit enough 3s and FTs.

OK AHF, lets do that.

AI's TS% is ranked 87th in the league, behind his teamates Korver (9) and Iggy (33).

Let's look at some other top scorers;

Dirk (10), Redd (13), JJ (18), Vince (23), Carmelo (26), Pierce (28).....

Last year was Iverson's best year ever shooting. His TS% last year was 54.4%, which would rank him 73rd in the league right now.

• Moderators

Quote:

Quote:

Let me say in Iverson's defense that you should compare true shooting %s rather than the raw fg% when evaluating him because of his astronically high (traditionally) number of free throw attempts. The guy could shoot 30% from the floor and be a highly efficient scorer if he hit enough 3s and FTs.

OK AHF, lets do that.

AI's TS% is ranked 87th in the league, behind his teamates Korver (9) and Iggy (33).

Let's look at some other top scorers;

Dirk (10), Redd (13), JJ (18), Vince (23), Carmelo (26), Pierce (28).....

Last year was Iverson's best year ever shooting. His TS% last year was 54.4%, which would rank him 73rd in the league right now.

Sounds fair to me.

• Moderators

Quote:

Quote:

What concerns me is that Philly has intentionally avoided pairing him with an offensive talent until bringing in an over-the-hill Webber to the team. Philly deliberately constructed its team to have players who focused on the dirty work and are not very good scorers in an effort to surround AI with good defenders and role players and to make the offense rotate almost solely around AI. This is why his usage rate is so much higher than everyone else's over his career.

If AI can step away from that team structure he could work out well. However, we haven't seen that and Philly apparently concluded that trying to channel AI into a more balanced role would be bad for the team. That concerns me a lot about AI.

That is a statement of concern for the Philly administration, not AI. Iverson has to score with that group because of their deficiencies.

It is a chicken or egg problem.

Does AI hog the ball because he has no support or does the team have no balance on offense because he hogs the ball?

I don't see how anyone can answer that he would lead a balanced team when he has never done it. Even at Georgetown, he dominated the ball, averaging over 17 FGA per game. The team revolved around Iverson in college and has revolved around him in the NBA.

The question is whether he can be a big cog in a machine, and there is not a definitive answer to that question.