ATL/NY game thread

gsuteke

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

(and make 13 of course). I don't care about MW's 5-13 shooting. That FT stat line is promising. Get to the line young fella'.

Note: JJ averages about 6 FTAs per game. I know his game doesn't translate into alotta foul calls which means there is a sliver of room I believe for MW's game to compliment his. It's hard to run most of your plays through essentially 3, 6'8" players but if MW's tries and can get to the line with near this regularity there's some hope.

W

Quote:

WOOWOO! ok i am reaching but still it is nice to see.

This team is still weak and poorly designed but when a guy gets 15 FTAs he's doing something very right. Build on that Marv. By comparison, Allen Iverson, although not as good at this as he use to be, averages roughly 12 FTAs per game this year.

Note: Has a team ever been skunked on fast break points? The Knicks got 13, us? Zero. Maybe we're not running as much due to inuries but that is abysmal.

W

• Premium Member

Fast break is the only way that this "no offense" team can score, but we insist on walking it up the floor and waiting for a nonshooter to jack up a shot or turn it over.

What was all that talk about Speedy always pushing the fast break, and loves to run the break? His agent must have been a damn good salesman..

PS. All Marvins points were during garbage time against the Knicks scrubs..

JJ's injury has exposed our team and shown what needs to happen. If we are to win, the 30% number that JJ contributes to our total points has to be reduced. We have to have a more consistent rotation that allows the guys who can score to get their points. Smoove is capable of doing his part, TLue is up and down. Shelden, Salim, Marvin and ZaZa have to get their points to take some of the pressure of JJ.

Quote:

PS. All Marvins points were during garbage time against the Knicks scrubs..

...ongoing game board. Oh well. It'll help his confidence coming back from injury perhaps.

I've never liked Woody. Not hated him, just never liked him. He just doesn't seem head coaching material. We're injured now and can't run much, but then again we haven't much under Woody. This is nothing new.

About Speedy...did he have to pass a rigorous functional test physical for us? I doubt Speedy is as bad as he looks now or as good as ANYBODY hoped, but we need more from him and a GM that will get us a d@mn Pg prospect so Speedy won't have to be counted on.

Passing on Paul/deron may result in the modern day equivalent of "inadequate Sf for hire" where we half ass tried to fill that position and only made it worse and worse.

W

Quote:

Quote:

All Marvins points were during garbage time against the Knicks scrubs..

marvin had 10 at the half.

Let's be honest, Marvin's game last night looked much better in the newspaper box score then it did live. That said, he was the highlight for the Hawks.

Marvin does have a preternatural ability to draw fouls, but he has to get stronger. Every time he is fouled it he stops dead in his tracks or is tossed backwards. He also has to stop dribbling off his feet (but they look big so I guess I can understand).

Is Sheldon in the doghouse? Why not play him? He is the best interior defender on the team - which isn't saying much - and needs to be in if the Hawks have any hope of stopping teams from running a lay-up drill.

All-in-all the final margin of victory was closer then the game was.

I think Sheldens shoulder is still bothering him and now that Marvin is back he has time to rest it.

I don't care how Marvin's points looked. Bottom line is that it has been very rare for a Hawk to get to the line over 10 times a game.

Plus he was being aggressive. I would like to see his outside shot start falling but he does have that brace on his left hand which might affect his shot.

Quote:

Poster: EDS

Subject: Re: Just brought it up myself

Quote:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Quote:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

All Marvins points were during garbage time against the Knicks scrubs..

marvin had 10 at the half.

Let's be honest, Marvin's game last night looked much better in the newspaper box score then it did live. That said, he was the highlight for the Hawks.

Marvin does have a preternatural ability to draw fouls, but he has to get stronger. Every time he is fouled it he stops dead in his tracks or is tossed backwards. He also has to stop dribbling off his feet (but they look big so I guess I can understand).

Is Sheldon in the doghouse? Why not play him? He is the best interior defender on the team - which isn't saying much - and needs to be in if the Hawks have any hope of stopping teams from running a lay-up drill.

All-in-all the final margin of victory was closer then the game was.

The game was a disaster, a complete disaster. Without JJ we can hang for a couple rounds looking like a competitor, but we run out of gas and come to a complete stop.

As for Marvin, this was a GREAT game. But not great because he scored 20 whatever points in garbage time (his most impressive minutes WERE during garbage time, I fully admit that), but great because it became a meaningless live action full speed scrimmage. He lost some of the preseason and the entire first quarter of the regular season. Getting the kind of run he had in the 4th Q is invaluable to help him get comfortable out on the court again. I don't think he was THAT impressive, at all, but I was glad to see him play so many minutes and still look like he had some gas at the end. I though he was far too passive and uninvolved for the entire game until he was the only starter left on the floor, then he seemed to turn it up a bit.

This guy isn't a seasoned vet. He hasn't "been there before". He's a second year pro, he's a junior in college. On top of being out for a long time and being rusty, he is also an extremely raw and developing player. That combo can be pretty ugly, so I'm glad to see him appearing just a little more comfortable.

The game was a complete waste, until it turned into a practice session for Marvin, hopefully something good comes from that.

What an embarrasing loss, even without JJ. We gotta get some momentum going soon.