• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $440 of $700 target

Atlanta No Spirit

Johnnybravo4

Gutless. Because our ownership group was too dumb to read a contract we are stuck with a bunch of geniuses that are afraid to make a move. In the offseason we had 15 million in cap space and a 20/8 player...and what do we get in return? A pg who cant shoot, and a stiff second string center.

A hall of famer becomes available and are we even a player? Oh no because we are content to have a 30 win season and so called "progress"

And since we have the weakest media in the country, they get away with it. I have to read farce articles from Sucko Smith about how our youth is developing and how Woody is such a great teacher. Meanwhile we are getting blown out by the Knicks!

We can't get a national game on tv despite the fact that the Studio show of one of the national networks is next door. In any other city Woodson and his blank expressions would have been sent packing months ago. Billy Knight would have been sent behind him. It is because of this toothless ownership that I can only buy a Hawks jersey at the clubhouse store in Phillips. One store still had Reef jerseys.

Therefore I welcome Steve Belkin. They say he wants to run the club on the cheap. We have the second lowest payroll, next to an expansion franchise. Can't get much cheaper than that. We worry about him trading JJ. Only an Atlanta Spirit owner would be that dumb. I welcome any owner who was saavy enought to pull the wool over 10 other people, even folks who call themselves Attorneys.

So player hate on Lord Belkin all you want. Couldn't possibly be worse than the dog squeeze we are presented with now.

• Moderators

Quote:

I don't care man I can't take it anymore. I am about to become the bane of the Atlanta Spirit's existance.

The salary issues may suck now but they will be much worse under Belkin who has reportedly opposed every significant salary addition sought by this team and the Thrashers in their existence. Good luck finding Belkin to be the better option when he jetisons our talent rather than signing them to long-term deals.

BTW - the rest of the real basketball national media agrees AI is a bad match for us and any but a handful of teams so our local media is pretty much in lockstep with the national pulse on that one.

It's hard to blame Atlanta Spirit for what happened with the contract. They hired the very best firm in Atlanta to represent them...probably the most prestiguos firm in the Southeast, actually (although I'm a little biased because I used to work that firm).

So the way I see it, Atlanta Spirit paid a ton of money to the best firm in Atlanta, and that's about all you can ask of them. It's not like the ownership group wrote the contract themselves or something, although it's embarrasing how things went down. But even if you don't like Atlanta Spirit, I actually think Belkin will be worse if he gains control. At least the Spirit guys care about the city and the team and winning.

• Moderators

Quote:

Which is why, like Bill Simmons explained, 75-80% of the league never have a chance to win.

Are you talking about the Bill Simmons who admits to having no more inside information or expertise than an average fan? Are you talking about the Bill Simmons whose wife is a better predictor of games than he is? Sounds like a good sports source. You can also pick up some fashion tips from his wife while she continues to own him in the season-long pick-em challenge, too. Bonus.