• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Marvin is putting it together!!!

Wurider05

I think he'll be the scorer, and Smith will be the "everything else" guy. I wish Marvin would post better assist numbers, but he just hasn't. Smith has.

I like the way they play when they're both on the court. Some don't like it, but they ARE our forward combo of the future. Our chances are only as good as these guys let them be.

Billy strongly hinted in the meeting tonight that MW was the closest they had to being their number 2 scorer. He also stated that Lue needs to be the 4th scorer on this team, that they really needed the young guys to step up.

Marvin is going to be a beast, mark it down. No, he isn't CP3 or Deron...but were going to love him anyway.

It's truly a lot of fun to watch Josh Smith and Marvin Williams play together. I can't think of a better young forward combination in the NBA than these two. There's energy plus on the court, and the aggressiveness is refreshing.

I know Marvin will always be compared to Chris Paul, but I really believe Marvin is going to be a star. When you watch this kid and realize how young he is, it's really exciting to think how good he might be in a few years. I think he's going to be a cornerstone for this organization.

I love our nucleus.

Yeah, Smith's play has really improved since Marvin got back.

Where are all the people that were saying the two of them can't play together and that they hate each other???

Marvin is going to be a nightmare for teams to deal with once he puts it all together, probably early next season. His shot is so smooth and he knows how to drive. Not much you can do against that.

I haven't never seen anyone on here say they couldn't play together. Just that there was some doubt about it. That is always the case when it is something new.

I have always thought they could play well together and their games complimented each other very well. Seeing Smoove out there playing well and elevating his game. I never forget it was Smoove who said he love/like playing with Marvin and felt they complimented each other on the court very well.

They can play together fine. But they will have trouble when they are facing a big, physical pf with a good post game. We saw how easily Wilcox handled Smoove, and Wilcox isnt exactly an elite pf.

It was nice to see marvin starting to hit his jumper. He has great form obviously but it doesn't matter how it looks if the ball doesn't go in.

I would have liked to have seen him get more touches in that game.

That's not a problem that will be encountered with any regularity though. There just aren't many power forwards or centers in the NBA today that I would consider big, powerful post players. There are some like Wilcox, Boozer, and Okafor that will give us some problems as well as most teams in the NBA some problems, but the smaller power forward/center types are becoming more and more prevelant in the league.

Quote:

That's not a problem that will be encountered with any regularity though. There just aren't many power forwards or centers in the NBA today that I would consider big, powerful post players. There are some like Wilcox, Boozer, and Okafor that will give us some problems as well as most teams in the NBA some problems, but the smaller power forward/center types are becoming more and more prevelant in the league.

Then why use a 5th pick on a role playing Pf?

I don't get it. If MW and JS won't have many problems (your words), why use the 2nd highest Hawks pick in 30 years on a role player that should BU the more talented JS? We have other needs. C and Pg. Same needs for the last 3 years. People undermine their own defense of the SW pick when they report how remarkable JS and MW play together. Just crazy.

W

• Premium Member

Quote:

Since Marvin returned Smoove has been more consistent than he was. I think he scored in double figures every game that marvin played.

I'm not here to be negative just honest.

I keep hearing statements like the ones above "since Marvin has been back"...

Uhm..

Since Marvin has been back, JJ has been out. That's 28 ppg sitting on the bench.

Since Marvin has been back, Speedy has been back. He's been over 10 assists.

With these two things in play, I think that if Smoove can't find 10 ppg, then he's a terrible player.

Quote:

Since Marvin has been back, JJ has been out. That's 28 ppg sitting on the bench.

Since Marvin has been back, Speedy has been back. He's been over 10 assists.

With these two things in play, I think that if Smoove can't find 10 ppg, then he's a terrible player.

Good post and all very true, and I'm sure that has something to do with it, but Smoove played well (FTs aside) against the Bulls with both of those players back and starting..albeit a very small sample size. But numbers aside, he is taking less 3 pointers and driving the ball much more. Also, he is improving his finishing skills and picking up his all around game. I'd say that's enough of an encouraging sign.

If we're talking value, Josh Smith at the 17th pick in an average draft class, and the fact that he was right out of high school, is really providing great value. he's doing a lot better a whole bunch of guys picked ahead of him.

i think with a better coach, josh would be more focused on defense and getting a higher field goal percentage. i'm not sold on woody at all to coach-up youngsters.

Absolutely!

Someone mentioned earlier that for the Hawks to be successful, Marvin needs to become a 20+ PPG scorer. I think that by the end of the season, you will see Marvin string together some 20+ point games and could very well average over 20 a game next season.