• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Marvin is putting it together!!!

Wurider05

I think two things are contributing.

1. Having Marvin in the line up gives the Hawks another perimeter shooter and a shooter that defenses have to account for. This is opening up the cutting lanes to the basket because defenders aren't sagging down as much as they were when Josh was playing small forward. This is allowing Josh to move around a little more and giving him more opportunities closer to the basket.

2. Marvin also brings the ability to put the ball on the floor and take it to the basket himself. This is drawing defenders away from Josh. While it hasn't really lead to many assists for Marvin yet, I think that in time, you will see a lot of plays where Marvin drives and kicks to a wide open Josh on the baseline.

Quote:

For defensive purposes, I would like to see Woody figure out how to play Marvin, Josh, and Shelden on the front line for extended periods of time.

I agree, especially considering how weak the Hawks are at C right now. Shelden did a great job defensively at C in the 4th quarter of the Denver game.

I think towards the end of season and maybe through half we could be seeing a very awesome Trio (The Big 3) similar to what the Wizards do with Gilbert Arenas , Caron Butler and Antwan Jamison. Obviously Smith and Marvin arent as polished yet but we could be seeing them really putting some amazing numbers as a group and the fact they all play pretty good defense. Josh is a consistent jump shot away from really being a big time player in this league. Even though Marvin is better scorer right now I think these guys are gonna impressive forward duo they are already showing a ton of chemistry out there. Josh Smiths all around game is really improving and will continue to improve once he can hit the consistent jumper and get some low post moves. Future is looking bright for the Hawks lets hope we can start winning some games now that everyone is getting back healthy.

I agree with falc on this. Its not so much his numbers, but the way he's been playing. It may ahve a whole lot more to do with Speedy or with his sense of a need to step it up with Joe out, but I think its a relief to see both Marvin and Josh play well on the court at the same time. Both of them have been bright spots lately, and from my estimation, it looks like they play better when they're both on the floor than when they are in games individually.

josh's defense has also improved since Marvin has been back. I think it has to do with Marvin being a better perimeter defender than Josh. Smoove needs to be around the basket to play to his defensive strengths right now.

Offensively, Josh is driving a heck of a lot more. That maybe due to Marvin coming back or it might have to do with him hearing the coaching staff, or whomever has his ear, telling him that his success will come off drives. The thing Josh needs to work on is how he goes up with the ball. He holds it too loosely right now.

In terms of "wasting" a pick on a role player in Sheldon, anyone we picked in the last draft would have been a role player THIS year. Woody wanted a vet point, so saying that Roy et al would be the starting point on this team is silly. Second, BK is stockpilling players for a trade. I think a big trade will come for this team. It may not happen this year, but it will happen.

...some of Marvin's numbers are solid, some are not so great.

If he could maintain the folloing stats, it would be well above my expectations for this year:

36 MPG

17.25 PPG

If he maintains the following, it would be about equal to my expectations, maybe just a bit under:

.792 FT

.500 FG

5.5 RPG

1 SPG

.75 BPG

The following numbers need a lot of improvement:

.5 APG

2.25 TO

3.75 PF

.250 3FG

After 6 games though, I'm happy with his progress.

• Premium Member

I'll tell you what I have liked about Smoove.

I have liked the fact that Smoove is taking less threes and putting the ball on the floor a little more. I don't think that that was triggered by Marvin being back, I actually believe somebody said something to him.

I have liked that Smoove has lowered the number of times that his ball handling has lost the ball.

Now, when you say his assists... I think Smoove was making good passes before Marvin came back.

If there is anything that is changed about the Hawks... it's Speedy...

In the 3rd and 4th qtr of the Bulls game, while JJ was on the bench, Speedy dominated...

Now, when we talk about Lue dominating, Lue does it with his scoring (timely). However, Speedy dominated with his scoring, passing, and defense. Speedy is not the best scorer but he produces offense. Some of the steals that Speedy got were standup good.

I think if anything makes us a contender, it will be Speedy's play as the season goes on and what Chillz does when he gets back in the flow... We are very dangerous... and we are a big away from being something special. I wouldn't be surprised to see us try to get Magloire.

Quote:

Quote:

Since Marvin returned Smoove has been more consistent than he was. I think he scored in double figures every game that marvin played.

I'm not here to be negative just honest.

I keep hearing statements like the ones above "since Marvin has been back"...

Uhm..

Since Marvin has been back, JJ has been out. That's 28 ppg sitting on the bench.

Since Marvin has been back, Speedy has been back. He's been over 10 assists.

With these two things in play, I think that if Smoove can't find 10 ppg, then he's a terrible player.

You are right, but what i am trying to say is that he has been consistent and his concentration is much better. Smoove can easily average 10 ppg, i am not saying that he can't. But he didn't have an off game like only scoring 6 points and than next game 15 points. He scored in 10-20 range which is much better than one game 5 and other game 15. His field goal % is much better as well and he is not forcing shots.