• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $440 of $700 target

AI to Denver

lifelong

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Who in the hell is going to Philly to play with Iggy and the Draft Picks?

it's called rebuilding. hopefully unlike you Philly fans take their meds and don't spam message boards in a weakass attempt to contact the team's owners.

LOL many of you may disagree but after looking at it a few hours later i think this is spot on!

If Philly loses the remainder of the season and pulls out a top 3 draft pick, perhaps #1 pick they get a 1-3 pick in the best big draft in many years. The top 5 picks are interior players with the "least" of them being Joakim Noah. That is insane!

I'd pair any of the top 5 picks with Iggy, Andre Miller, Korver, Daly, and two mid to mid-late firsts in this draft (do they get cap space out of this deal. It's a beginning and that's about all one could hope for after the public falling out.

W

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Quote:

hey Walt I have no idea what you said but i hope you agree considering some goofball tells a fellow poster that he could care less what he thinks, "it's the owners i'm trying to talk to." welcome back to planet earth.

LOL

I miss your posts about your your ripped (insert opposing team's fan's) a new one. How they left their own site speechless or even converted to Hawks fans (or whatever) after you made your presence felt. It really demonstrated your humility in the face of "I, gsuteke, honor myself as poster of the day" declarations.

I'll talk to the owners while you talk to the mirror.

W

• Premium Member

Quote:

Philly now has the PG set, and they have 3 1st rounders. If things go well for them they can be set at the C after the draft, with some decent young swingmen in between.

First of all, both of the picks involved in the trade are going to be in the 20's. Nothing special.

Second, Philly isn't going to have a ton of cap space any time soon. Webber is on the books for next season, plus in 08-09 they will then have Korver, Daly, Miller, Hunter, Green, several draft picks, and a much more expensive Igoudala.

Sure, they have plenty of tradeable contracts, but if they don't get lucky in the draft, they're going to be mediocre for a long time.

this is a longer version of what i have already about Iverson in Denver

------------------------------------------------------

Deal will create excitement ... but little success

Story Tools:

Print Email Blog This Subscribe

Charley Rosen / Special to FOXSports.com

Posted: 9 hours ago

This is what all the waiting was for?

FOX Bite

Videos

Sixers swap Iverson

Philadelphia 76ers general manager Billy King discusses trading superstar point guard Allen Iverson to the Denver Nuggets.

After Allen Iverson spent the better part of 10 days in limbo, a trade has reportedly been agreed upon in principle. And it really doesn't appear to be worth the wait to which we were all subjected.

With that initial assessment in mind, let's take a closer look at both sides of the less-than-momentous deal between Philadelphia and Denver.

BlogJam...

One day after the Nuggets learned they'd be losing Carmelo Anthony for a while, they've swung a deal to add Allen Iverson. Who got the better end of this deal? Tell us what you think.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Hit the boards

Nuggets | 76ers

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Also...

Iverson dealt to Denver

Rosen: Deal won't help Denver

Fantasy fallout: A.I. to Nuggets

Iverson career stats | Highlights

Philly got Andre Miller, a terrific point guard who uses power, trickery and deceit more than sheer speed. His defense is less than adequate, but is certainly no worse than Iverson's. Miller is unselfish and has incredible court vision. The bottom line is that he can run a set-up offense with maximum efficiency, thereby getting his teammates totally involved.

The problem is this: Which of the remaining Sixers merit being totally involved in the offense? Broken-down Chris Webber? Andre Iguodala, who has yet to prove he can shoot his way out of a paper bag? Samuel Dalembert, with his cheesy jumpers and jump hooks? Steven Hunter, who's strictly a baseline-and-paint player?

That leaves Kyle Korver, with his catch-and-shoot excellence (and his limitations elsewhere) to try and shake free by running off perpetual screens. But screens set by whom? Webber, who avoids contact like mice avoid snakes? Or the leansome Dalembert, who gets nosebleeds when he's too far away from the hoop? Perhaps Hunter, who's so thin that eyewitnesses can see his heart beating every time he walks past a light?

By default, it seems that Willie Green will become the Sixers' go-to scorer. For sure, Green can drive both ways, always works hard, and can routinely bury face-up jumpers from 17 feet. But, his passing is inadequate, he's prone to turnovers, and his long-range shooting will definitely not frighten anybody except Mo Cheeks.

Still, Green is young, talented and eager, and, under the circumstances, building the offense around him is a risk well worth taking. At least until a bona fide superstar is somehow procured by Billy King.

Even though Joe Smith's game is expiring, he's marginally valuable because so will his contract after this season.

As for receiving two No. 1 draft picks ... except for Greg Oden, legitimate franchise players will be hard to find in the glorified crap-shoot that constitutes the NBA's draft. That's why the Sixers' trio of top-of-the-line selections might have more trade value than anything else.

Overall, the Sixers have made an admirable commitment to rebuild their roster. Now if only they could find some sucker to take Webber.

In the past, George Karl has bragged about his teams' disorganized offenses. After all, if the Nuggets don't really know what they're doing when they have the ball, how can their opponents come up with a defensive game plan? This kind of helter-skelter, every-shooter-for-himself attitude is perfect for a conscienceless machine-gunner like Iverson. And with Carmelo Anthony on the shelf for another 14 games, Iverson just might end up unleashing 30 shots per game.

The Nuggets fans will assuredly be excited and entertained by Iverson's courage, creativity and awesome talents. And Karl can also sit back and enjoy the show.

But there are several caveats involved here. Karl has always had trouble coaching strong-willed players. Think Gary Payton and Shawn Kemp, tough-talking guys who came right back at Karl's attempts to threaten or cajole them. In the past, Karl's response has been to kow-tow to these guys, and find other, more passive players to verbally abuse and accuse. And who in the league is as street-tough and ornery as Iverson?

Since Karl learned his Xs and Os at the feet of Dean Smith, practice time is sacrosanct and his players are required to be on time and be ready to work hard. Iverson will certainly toe the line for a while. But how long will it take for A.I. to lapse into his habitual show-up-late-and-lazy attitude? Then what does Karl do?

Here's your chance to fire back at Charley Rosen. Got a question or a comment

Subject:

Comment/Question:

Name: (ex, john doe)

Email: (ex, a@b.c)

Hometown:

Okay, if Iverson will be granted a license to shoot while Anthony is in exile, what will happen when 'Melo returns? Will anybody else get to touch the ball?

Sooner or later, his new teammates will react the same way to playing with Iverson as virtually all of his former teammates have — with frustration that will eventually become disgust. And that's exactly why the Nuggets will have difficulty recruiting any free-agent superstars.

Overall, Philadelphia has made a firm commitment to the future, a step that was as necessary as it is worthy. On the other side of the equation, Denver has made an equally firm commitment to the here and now, a step to the edge of an abyss that will create more excitement than success.

The immediate (and short-lived) advantage goes to Denver.

Depending on how King can utilize his new draft picks, the long-range advantage might go to the Sixers. The key word here is "might."

Charley Rosen is FOXSports.com's NBA analyst and author of 13 books about hoops, the current one being "The pivotal season — How the 1971-72 L.A. Lakers changed the NBA."

Quote:

They will never be able to coexist.

I thought the same thing at first until I realized that he's never played with a truly great player - even at Georgetown. I'm not quite sold on Melo as being a great player, but I think with his offensive game, he and AI will be very effective playing together. Iverson's a ball hog because he's always had to be given the teams he played for.

And, in spite of all of the negatives from the press, AI plays hard and want's to win. Given this, I believe he'll surprise a lot of people with his unselfishness. I sure hope he does..

Quote:

I thought the same thing at first until I realized that he's never played with a truly great player - even at Georgetown. I'm not quite sold on Melo as being a great player, but I think with his offensive game, he and AI will be very effective playing together. Iverson's a ball hog because he's always had to be given the teams he played for.

And, in spite of all of the negatives from the press, AI plays hard and want's to win. Given this, I believe he'll surprise a lot of people with his unselfishness. I sure hope he does..

People say Iverson can't win with a supporting cast, but really who has he had?

Derrick Coleman is the best player he's ever played with.

Now he has a chance to play with an NBA Superstar.