• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Re-evaluating JJ's all-star odds

Lascar78

As pointed out by vdunkndunk, AI is gone from the conference, and he was the leading vote getter for the eastern all-star. Without AI, preliminary results for the guard spot were:

Dwyane Wade (Miami) 586,679;

Vince Carter (New Jersey) 433,363;

------------------------------------

Gilbert Arenas (Washington) 225,923;

Jason Kidd (New Jersey) 190,385;

Chauncey Billups (Detroit) 109,687;

Stephon Marbury (New York) 107,219;

Michael Redd (Milwaukee) 97,394;

Joe Johnson (Atlanta) 78,680;

Steve Francis (New York) 76,210

In all likelihood, there will be 4 or 5 guards headed to the game. There could even be 6, but let's assume 5. It seems inevitable that Wade and Carter will be voted in by the fans as the starters.

The question is will JJ be in the top 3 of the remaining players when the coaches make their picks? Marbury and Francis will not be picked by coaches with the embarassment that NY has become.

Including other notable guards with somewhat of a chance, the total list is:

G. Arenas 29/6/4

C. Billups 19/8/3

T.J. Ford 15/8/4

B. Gordon 19/3/3

R. Hamilton 21/3/4

K. Hinrich 15/6/3

J. Johnson 28/4/5

J. Kidd 13/9/9.5

A. Miller 13/9/4.5

M. Redd 28/2/4

To me, Arenas is clearly backup #1. I honestly think the two most deserving after that are probably Kidd and JJ. It's tough though. The closest calls are probably Redd and Billups.

So if they squeeze in 5 guards (+4/5 F, 2-3C), I think JJ might just make the cut. I don't think it's nearly as automatic as most around here. I think AI leaving the conference is just the little bit of help JJ needed.

Of course there is still a lot of ball to be played, and the teams' records might change from now to then, and team record factors in as much as stats do.

All of this being said, do you think JJ should make the cut, and do you think he will?

Quote:

i think jj deserves it but i don't think he'll make it unless someone is injured. i think of that list, billups, kidd and arenas will make it.

agree, he worthy but the Hawks are still irralavent in the eyes of many.

Quote:

No one voted for Redd but me. You guys are crazy if you don't think he will be an all star. He has been crazy dominant this season.

Gilbert and JJ both average more points, more rebounds, and more assists, and both play better defense for starters. Washington is much better and we're basically even with them. So I don't see how he gets ahead of either one.

I think Kidd gets ahead as he still averages nearly a double double in ast/reb which is pretty nuts. Throw in Billups' pretty good stats on a team with a great record, and I'm not seeing how Redd squeaks in.

Who are your 3?

i am the guy who voted no.

Skiles was on ESPN radio today answering how you stop Kobe Bryant. his answer was you hope to make him shoot turn around jumpers and fade aways. the worst case scenario is having Kobe slash to the basket all night.

hello, that's Joe's game, and I don't mean the slashing. with the game on the line against Chicago what did the Hawks do? they gave it to Joe Johnson. what did he do? he shot a turn around jumper.

if Joe is going to be an all-star or better yet for us a SuperStar player than he's gonna have to be more aggressive come crunch time.

Quote:

Skiles was on ESPN radio today answering how you stop Kobe Bryant. his answer was you hope to make him shoot turn around jumpers and fade aways. the worst case scenario is having Kobe slash to the basket all night.

hello, that's Joe's game, and I don't mean the slashing. with the game on the line against Chicago what did the Hawks do? they gave it to Joe Johnson. what did he do? he shot a turn around jumper.

I get your point, but to be fair, JJ is a much better pure shooter than Kobe. JJ is such a good shooter, in fact, that he's averaging 28 ppg on .50% shooting even though he doesn't get nearly the amount of dunks and freethrows that Kobe gets.

And JJ's not usually taking those patented Kobe fadeaways and turnarounds that are ridiculously difficult...he's taking midrange jumpers, threes, and posting up...better shots than Kobe sometimes takes.

With that said, I agree that JJ should take it to the basket more often and get more freethrows. But even so, last season JJ actually hit more game winning shots than Kobe did.

Quote:

I think JJ's All-Star bid will depend on how quickly he returns to form. If he picks back up tonight where he left off before his injury, I think he will make the team over Redd and one of the PGs.

it would be nice to see an Atlanta Hawk participating in the big show.

I wonder if Marvin will play in the sophomores game. he should own that game. subsequently i wonder if Shelden would plant him during that game if Marvin tried to dunk over him grin.gif

Quote:

Quote:

I think JJ's All-Star bid will depend on how quickly he returns to form. If he picks back up tonight where he left off before his injury, I think he will make the team over Redd and one of the PGs.

it would be nice to see an Atlanta Hawk participating in the big show.

I wonder if Marvin will play in the sophomores game. he should own that game. subsequently i wonder if Shelden would plant him during that game if Marvin tried to dunk over him grin.gif

If it was Shelden instead of Camby, Marvin would have gone over him, ALA Carter.

Quote:

I think if JJ shot 50% FG 45% 3FG and averaged 30 ppg until the break, that he still might get snubbed for the All-Star game.

The one thing that can elevate his status, is if the Hawks start winning on a consistent basis, or put up a 5 - 7 game win streak.

We're going to have to do that at some point in the season anyway to have a shot at the playoffs. January would be the perfect time for that to happen for the sake of the Hawks, and for the sake of JJ making the All-Star team.

I think what factors in here also is the record of some of these teams. I think Arenas and Jason Kidd are def. going to be voted on. People arent noticing that much but Jason Kidd is nearly avging a triple double for the whole season. It seems like every night this guy is getting a Triple Double. Michael Redd and Joe Johnson are both having career years and its gonna be between them too or if they decide to go with 4 Guards they will both make it.

JJ could make it in as a G/F. That versatility gives him a little edge for making the team. He could even play a little point. If it comes down to Redd vs. JJ, I think Redd gets it. Not necessarily saying he deserves it over JJ, but that's the way I think it will play out.