• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $440 of $700 target

Imagine if AI had been able to do this for us

Admin

Quote:

Within 30 minutes of the Nuggets announcing their trade for Allen Iverson on Tuesday, the ticket office had sold 340 season tickets.

There were lines at the Pepsi Center waiting to buy tickets for Denver's game Wednesday night against Phoenix.

"In 17 years, I've never seen a spike like that," said Paul Andrews, the executive vice president of Kroenke Sports Enterprises, who said more than 4,000 single-game tickets were purchased in a two-hour window.

It may still be Carmelo Anthony's team, but he's got company. Iverson brings instant star -- not to mention box office -- power.

"We're getting a superstar," said Mark Warkentien, Denver's vice president of basketball operations. "An absolute superstar."

I realize that we have been told the price was far too high for us to get AI, but he would have an instant impact player for us and would have locked us into the playoffs annually with he and JJ and whomever was left over. I'm glad we have an exciting young core to build around, but if this thing never pans out for Smoove, Marvin, Chillz, or Shelden we are going to end up seriously regretting this non-move.

I'm happy for the Denver fans I guess. Having lived out there for six years when the Nuggets were the pits...those fans deserve the excitement of a run deep into the playoffs.

One season I was out there the only controversy was whether or not Mahmoud Abdul Rauf would stand up for the national anthem. smirk.gif They were terrible.

• Premium Member

Quote:

Quote:

Within 30 minutes of the Nuggets announcing their trade for Allen Iverson on Tuesday, the ticket office had sold 340 season tickets.

There were lines at the Pepsi Center waiting to buy tickets for Denver's game Wednesday night against Phoenix.

"In 17 years, I've never seen a spike like that," said Paul Andrews, the executive vice president of Kroenke Sports Enterprises, who said more than 4,000 single-game tickets were purchased in a two-hour window.

It may still be Carmelo Anthony's team, but he's got company. Iverson brings instant star -- not to mention box office -- power.

"We're getting a superstar," said Mark Warkentien, Denver's vice president of basketball operations. "An absolute superstar."

I realize that we have been told the price was far too high for us to get AI, but he would have an instant impact player for us and would have locked us into the playoffs annually with he and JJ and whomever was left over. I'm glad we have an exciting young core to build around, but if this thing never pans out for Smoove, Marvin, Chillz, or Shelden we are going to end up seriously regretting this non-move.

I hope that we do well enough this season so that we don't regret it later. But I have to admit that it would have made for the most exciting time in recent Hawks history. I would have loved to see him here, despite how many may feel about him. He would have brought immediate credibility to the franchise. It would've also sent a message to the fans that we are serious about winning and are willing to take risks to do so. I like JJ, but sometimes I don't see him as a "leader" in the traditional sense. I don't really see him as the type of guy that would stand up for his teamates in one of those "chippy" games. It seems that he and the rest of the team would really benefit by having a strong player/leader, preferrebly someone at PG position. Just as many here thought that Cassel could've been that guy for this team, I feel that AI could've brought that to this team to an even greater degree.

• Premium Member

Quote:

both of those teams have worse attendence than us so far this year.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/attendance

Once the Denver fans see AI taking as many or more shots than Melo, while shooting 10% worse, the honeymoon will be over quickly.

That's way better than I thought it was for us, but why does Philips look so dead when the game first starts? Does everyone just show up late? Are there a lot of no shows? Or does everyone just buy cheap seats and move down in the 2nd half..

Cuz in the 2nd half it always looks a lot more crowded

Increased ticket sales are a nice "blip" for signing AI, but even with a likely increase in local TV revenue (due to higher ratings with AI and thus better rights fees) it would take a hell of a lot of ticket sales to help offset the cost of someone like AI.

At an average ticket price of $50, which might be a bit high, but I'm being generous here, AI would have to account for 340,000 extra tickets sold to cover his salary of $17 million. A 20,000-seat arena only allows for 800,000 tickets to be sold all year (excluding playoffs, and local teams don't keep the playoff revenue - that mainly goes to the league for all teams to divide, I believe). So, AI would have to sell out 40% of the stadium every single night to cover his salary.

Or he would have to account for 8,500 new season tickets (probably more than double what Denver normally sells).

In other words, while a superstar can generate more money for a team, they rarely, if ever, pay for themselves. The WHOLE TEAM - WINNING - pays for itself.

The honeymoon will be over once Anthony and Iverson are bitching at each other on the floor because of their insatious desire to shoot the basketball. Anthony and Iverson are the top two shot chuckers in the game.

Denver's team was already a powder keg waiting to explode. Adding AI just adds a fuse that is already lit. It's only a matter of time before it blows up.

Quote:

The honeymoon will be over once Anthony and Iverson are bitching at each other on the floor because of their insatious desire to shoot the basketball. Anthony and Iverson are the top two shot chuckers in the game.

Denver's team was already a powder keg waiting to explode. Adding AI just adds a fuse that is already lit. It's only a matter of time before it blows up.

Things can't any more inept in than they have here in Atlanta.

Denver wasn't built to win now. We arguably had a better 1-5. Denver just wasn't afraid to pull the trigger.

As far as revenue, you those extra ticket holders buy Jerseys, hot dogs cokes, pizza etc. You can sell more signagae and ad revenue in the stadium. Car lots pay you to use AI in local television spots. The possibilities for marketing are endless.

The bad part is that in Atlanta AI is the perfect person for marketing. Atlanta is 60% black...and young. The Falcons realized this when they drafted Vick, which is why they cross promote with V-103 and other stations. The increase in Falcons revenue comes from mostly the Black Fan, who lives closer to the city. They could have made a fortune with A.I. But AS aren't too bright. They must have inherited all of their money.

Quote:

And wouldn't we have AI for at least 3 years? It is not like we were renting him for a playoff run this year. If we aren't ready to compete for a championship 3 years from now we might as well break up the team now.

I'm not saying we shouldn't have gotten him - we should have (IMO) - only that I dis-agreed that we are better thsn Denver 1-5 now (pre A.I.).

JJ is great but Melo is at least equal - most all other positions they are equal or superior.

Quote:

Yes they can. Atlanta is far from the worst team in the NBA. Things could be much worse. We could be the New York Knicks. We could be the Memphis Grizzlies.

Those teams haven't been badly for nearly a decade. The Knicks will probably make the playoffs before the Hawks do. Zeke will be fired after this year and they'll probably get things fixed.

I don't give a rats @ss anymore about the payroll. The payroll has nothing to do with the fans. I know we currently live in a "Atleast I'm not that guy" type of society, but to me bad is bad.

Saying your better than one or two teams doesn't mean jack.

• Premium Member

Here's my thoughts on us acquiring AI...

1. It would have been Christmas for our ticket office

Anyone who doesn't believe that Ai would have increased our ticketsales by a lot is foolish!! Unless they get Oden, Philly will sleek back into obscurity now.

2. It would have costed us something

I can see Marvin, 1st, Lo, Speedy as our deal. Would it have been worth it? Hard to say.

3. JJ and AI would be a great one two punch offensively and defensively.

It would have ended JJ's Babysitting service having a warrior like AI playing with him.

4. What about AI's Health ?

Don't know.

5. Would AI have fit in ?

I don't know if he would have totally fit in. I can see our babies remaining babies. Just like Iguodala and the gang never really matured. Everybody has to be a side item when AI is on the menu. I think that's good when you have a vet team. I fully expect Denver to do a lot of winning now. AI plus Camby plus Melo is an awesome combo!!!! The question is Will AI and Camby stay injury free.. .That's doubtful.

So in short, AI would have been a shortterm fix. NOt a good fix, not a bad fix but a shortterm fix. I didn't say good because as the years go on, we have to pay for having AI. That's money and whatever else we gave away for him. Honestly, I like what I have seen out of Speedy lately. I'm willing to give that a shot. I still think Marvin was the wrong pick and maybe we need to consider one of our forwards as tradebait to get a dominant BIG.

That is more needed than Ai.