• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $440 of $700 target

Where are all the Speedy detractors?

codyatl

He has finally shown what many of us knew he would. The PG spot is fine, unless we are going to get Billups or maybe Bibby. What we need is a defensive center, period. I have to wonder if BK drafted Sheldon thinking he could play center down the road? Not a bad idea, but I doubt we would be winning any titles with shel at the 5. I like solo but he needs to gain ALOT of weight before he could handle the 5 for a whole season. I dont want to rely on a rookie to come in and fill that spot so what are our options? Darko Milicic, Anderson Verajo(can he play 5?), Chris Wilcox? Not a lot to choose from. Thoughts?

• Premium Member

Er...no one has said Deron is a HOF point guard. However it is obvious we would have been better off drafting him than Marvin.

And btw a few decent games from Claxton doesn't make up for the horrible season he's been having or the fact he's an injury waiting to happen.

Quote:

Er...no one has said Deron is a HOF point guard. However it is obvious we would have been better off drafting him than Marvin.

And btw a few decent games from Claxton doesn't make up for the horrible season he's been having or the fact he's an injury waiting to happen.

Speedy is for real. Its not just few games. He looks like he has recovered from his injury. The only thing that could stop him is another injury, not lack of talent or lack of IQ. He is a player. DW will have nightmares about Speedy despite today's win. Speedy was his daddy today.

We need a coach more than a center.

Quote:

I think a few decent games DOES at least show us that Speedy is good when he's healthy...great defense, great penetration on offense.

But you're right...it doesn't mean he'll stay healthy for long.

Quote:

I don't know where the Deron love comes from. Okur / Kirilenko / Boozer is what won the game. I wasn't all that impressed with Deron. He's definitely solid and I would have been for getting him last year but people too quick to say he is a future HOF, etc.

I'm judging Deron based on this season and the end of last season, not just on tonight (although he did a lot more to help his team win than Marvin did). Of course, Deron certainly hasn't solidified his spot in the HOF by any means, but he does look like an all-star PG this season, which is a lot more than Marvin can say.

The thing is, I've always had problems with Paul that will never go away...mainly his size. But with Deron, the questions that I had about him before the draft, he's proven that those things won't hold him back...namely his quickness, ability to penetrate, and shooting ability.

So right now, it would make a lot more sense to have Deron on the team...especially because Chill and Smoove are pretty good players. And I'm a lot quicker to admit that about Deron than I am to say that passing on Paul was a huge mistake. We have the benefit of hindsight of course, but looking back now...if I could do it over now I would take Deron.

Marvin's still young and developing, though, so I'm still hoping he'll show that he was worthy of a number 2 pick, but just being an all-star at some point in his career probably won't be enough to show that he was a better pick for us than the PGs, because Deron and Paul are already at all-star level AND we needed a PG much more than a SF.

This is old territory, but I'm slowly coming around to the national perspective on this one...except I would take Deron rather than Paul.