• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $440 of $700 target

Hollinger's Advice for the Hawks

AHF

• Moderators

Quote:

Atlanta Hawks

My first piece of free advice is fairly obvious: Spend some actual money. It's criminal that the Hawks weren't more involved in the Allen Iverson negotiations, because they easily could have extracted a pound of flesh from one of the many teams interested in making it a three-way transaction via the Hawks' abundance of cap space.

Otherwise, things could be worse. Every Hawks rotation player has missed at least one game because of injury -- yes, all of them -- and yet the team has remained competitive by recent Atlanta standards, even with free-agent pickups Speedy Claxton and Lorenzen Wright competing to see who can be the more crushing disappointment.

http://insider.espn.go.com/nba/insider/col...john&id=2704833

• Moderators

I'll add in Chad Ford's latest on the Hawks, which isn't quite as negative as usual:

Quote:

Jeremy (ATL): Chad, Do you think Joe Johnson will get an All-Star bid? Also looking at the Hawks what do you see as their biggest need?

Chad Ford: He deserves one. I think they still need a great starting point guard. Speedy Claxton is a backup. I'm surprised the Hawks couldn't get in this deal and land Andre Miller and, in turn, send a young player to Philly.

Quote:

It's criminal that the Hawks weren't more involved in the Allen Iverson negotiations, because they easily could have extracted a pound of flesh from one of the many teams interested in making it a three-way transaction via the Hawks' abundance of cap space

I think it is criminal that they didn't put more effort into getting a quality center this summer with their cap space. Blo is a worthless puss.

Of course we don't know just how much the ownership situation is affecting BK's ability to make moves.

Quote:

I'll add in Chad Ford's latest on the Hawks, which isn't quite as negative as usual:

Quote:

Jeremy (ATL): Chad, Do you think Joe Johnson will get an All-Star bid? Also looking at the Hawks what do you see as their biggest need?

Chad Ford: He deserves one. I think they still need a great starting point guard. Speedy Claxton is a backup. I'm surprised the Hawks couldn't get in this deal and land Andre Miller and, in turn, send a young player to Philly.

Initially I thought this talk was a pipe dream, but I've seen it surface in several different places, which makes me think there could be some merrit. Problem is, don't think the Hawks will part with the $$$. A one-two punch at p.g of Miller and Speedy could help us take a major step up. Maybe it will happen????

• Premium Member

We already missed the chance. We should have been involved to absorb Andre Miller his contract is not that bad and its only got I believe 2 or 3 years left on it. Andre Miller is exactly what this team could use at point guard. The only other glaring need would then be a defensive center/low post threat at ANY position frankly and we'd be good to go with anyone in the NBA.

I wouldn't say its over by any means IF were willing to spend the money to get him. Here is a rumor from the NY Post on SI.com about what Philly's intentions are with Andre Miller. Looks like they want to trade him now.

Sixers president and GM Billy King will brainstorm with consigliore Larry Brown to reroute Andre Miller to a playoff contender. Better to move the 30-year-old a half season early than a half season late. The longer Miller remains with a loser, the less productive and motivated (as his one-year Clippers' tour attests, though it's not necessarily reflected in his stats) is bound to become.

• Moderators

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

unless you cut and paste it AHF.

uh, he did cut and paste it.

I pasted all the portions of the article and chat relating to the Hawks.

my Homer Simpson moment today..... DOH!

Relax. What is mind? No matter. What is matter? Never mind!

Homer is deep.

• Premium Member

Quote:

I wouldn't say its over by any means IF were willing to spend the money to get him. Here is a rumor from the NY Post on SI.com about what Philly's intentions are with Andre Miller. Looks like they want to trade him now.

Sixers president and GM Billy King will brainstorm with consigliore Larry Brown to reroute Andre Miller to a playoff contender. Better to move the 30-year-old a half season early than a half season late. The longer Miller remains with a loser, the less productive and motivated (as his one-year Clippers' tour attests, though it's not necessarily reflected in his stats) is bound to become.

We need to jump on this immediately. Speedy's been pretty good as of late, but Andre Miller is the real deal at PG. Besides, how long will it be before Speedy is injured again? Honestly, I'm not opposed to trading Marvin at this point if it means getting a player like Miller. I think Childress, when healthy, brings more of an all around game to the table anyway. It's time for BK to make some changes while this team still believes that they can win a game. We have a golden opportunity to make the playoffs, and if we end with another 30 win season, he and Mike Woodson need to look for employment elsewhere. This is a great opportunity to get a player who we would have offered a big contract to(had he been a free agent) during the offseason for "relatively" cheap. Get him!!!

Quote:

I'd kill to get Miller on this team. I'm a little concerned about his age but he's not saddled with some insane contract either.

Same here, but bonehead BK decided to go with Speedy...not a bad player but come on, he is a mediocre starter in this league while Dre is a bona fide great PG. Think about how many Alley-Oops Smoove, Chill, and Marvin would get on this team. Scary...

I don't want to give up Marvin though for him. I think Philly would be getting a steal there. Miller is 30yrs. old. Maybe we could give them Lue and someone else. I have no idea what they would take but I think they would wouldn't mind Lue considering his contract is small and that it will be expiring next year. All Philly cares about at the moment is getting rid of salary and gaining cap space. Plus tanking the season probably to get Oden as well. It might not take much to acquire Miller.

This from Sekou's blog:

3: The Hawks’ roster will take a slightly different shape by this time next week (surely, you’ve figured out how by now). The only question is who leaves the building to make it happen. I have my ideas but I’m curious who you think makes sense … ?

I guess he is referring to the work out of the ex-Laker dude. While he's thinking about making changes, think BIG and go for Andre.

• Premium Member

Quote:

If it costs Marvin Williams, getting Andre Miller is not a relatively cheap move.

I don't know. Maybe we should start thinking about the here and now. No more guys who we believe are going to be "superstars" in a few years. Those things hardly ever really pan out(at least not for the team who drafted them). The potential thing is good and all, but Marv is replaceable, no doubt about it. And he sure as heck hasn't been this "beast" that I heard so much about before the draft. Heck, there are some SF's coming out in this year's draft who could fill in and actually hit the ground running. I'm not knocking Marvin, but he's not untradeable. No more "reach" draft picks, no more "potential" three-years-down-the-road type picks, no more mediocre free agents, no more "bargains"...We need to bring in something tangible that shows the fans that this organization is serious about winning. We passed on Iverson which is somewhat justifiable, but there is no justification for passing up this opportunity. We have to at least look into it, and do so publicly.