Why the Marvin hate?

mrhonline

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

... that if he were playing a little better this thread would be about Salim, or Zaza, or Smoove, or any other. It's all about the fans needs to find somebody to be "cabeza de turco" (turkish head).

And that's ok, it's part of the game.

If you think a little about this and listen to the fans of other teams you will be amaze how they criticize players that you would have in our team.

• Premium Member

Quote:

Marvin doesn't play inspired basketball. Marvin doesn't even play like he wants it 1/2 the time. Marvin plays like a trained seal... Not literally but when Marvin gets the ball it's like he has to say in his mind, I have to drive the ball. Then he barrells into players left and right. At UNC, it was better orchestrated. He had wide lanes because of the pinpoint accuracy of the college game. But when the college game got tight, Marvin was a no show there too. Watch those last two NCAA games. Play the find Marvin game. May and Felton were the only studs on that side of the court.

However, now, in the pro game, the pinpoint accuracy is not there and it won't be there on any team accept Utah. What separates superstars from good players is that a superstar can create for himself. This is what makes JJ so good. JJ just gets the ball, finds a crease and scores. But Marvin may have the tools but he damn sure doesn't come to work. It's like his mind can't comprehend that he may have to do something different and find a way to get to the basket. It's that same ole thing... Watch him. When he hits the floor and the ball is passed to him, there are 2 things that he does:

1. Standstill jumper.

2. Drive to the right,
head down
, with lots of Jukes & akward pauses but no real attempt to go strong.

That's not the work of a superstar.

I've said it before, Dion Glover came into the league knowing how to get to the basket much better than Marvin. Out of Cedar Grove, Dion could have drove head up to the goal.

I don't think Marvin is a bad character or plays uninspired basketball, I just think he really isn't that good..

LOL.

T-Mac in his 2nd year in the league.

9.3 ppg

5.7 rebs

2.3 asst

44% FG

His development in his 2nd year, was stunted by the injury he sustained, which kept him out for the first 3 months of the season.

When he came back to the team, he slowly developed into what kind of player he would eventually become. But he was wildly inconsistent at times, but showed flashes of greatness at times.

The difference between the Raptors back then, and the Hawks now, is that the Raptors felt no need to rush McGrady into stardom. They let him develop at his own pace. They felt no need to start him in his first 3 years in the league, but he was a major piece of the Raptor puzzle by Year 3.

With the Hawks, they're trying to accelerate Marvin's growth at a rapid rate, instead of just letting him find his niche as a ballplayer on his own. Instead of bringing him off the bench and letting him get his 25 - 30 minutes from there, they're starting him to see if he can develop his game to be a valuable starter now, instead of next year or in 2008.

Yes, T-Mac was picked 9th in the 1997 draft, but he's easily the 2nd best player in that draft, next to Tim Duncan, who went #1 overall.

Bottom line. Hawks fans have NO CHOICE but to have patience with Marvin, while hoping that the coach do what is in the best interest of the team. Sending Marvin to the bench wouldn't be a demotion in my eyes, if he still played the same amount of minutes. Starting Childress right now may be overall what is better for the team.

But to say that Marvin isn't that good, just isn't accurate. To me, he's on the same learning curve with T-Mac. We'll see if he can make that quantum leap in Year 3, like T-Mac did. He may even make it by the end of this season.

Quote:

I would not say poor character traits but I think BK has selected guys that are not internally driven or intense in how they approach the game. While it is common to attack today's NBA player for having too much attitude, BK appears to be selecting guys without enought attitude.

Salim doesn't have enough attitude?

The problem with Salim, is that he may have too much attitude. He truly believes that he is a baller, a great baller. All the great ones have that attribute. He just doesn't have the skills to go along with that belief.

Too bad Salim isn't a 1/2 step quicker and about 3 inches taller. We might have something great there, if we did.

Quote:

9.3 ppg

5.7 rebs

2.3 asst

44% FG

That was in 22 minutes per game. he also averaged 1.1 steals and 1.4 blocks.

And Tmac came straight from HS.

Marvin is averaging 12 pts shooting 39.5%, 1.3 assists, 4.2 rebounds, .5 blocks and 2.67 turnovers in 32 minutes.

Quote:

Quote:

9.3 ppg

5.7 rebs

2.3 asst

44% FG

That was in 22 minutes per game. he also averaged 1.1 steals and 1.4 blocks.

And Tmac came straight from HS.

Marvin is averaging 12 pts shooting 39.5%, 1.3 assists, 4.2 rebounds, .5 blocks and 2.67 turnovers in 32 minutes.

If you put this that way, it looks that Marvin is worst than Batista LOL grin.gif

• Premium Member

Looking at Marvin's stats as aggregate numbers is misleading because he's so wildly inconsistent (as is to be expected of 20 year olds):

6 bad games: 7.2 ppg, 22% fg, 4.2 rebs., 3.1 to's (29 mpg)

6 good games: 17.7 ppg, 51% fg, 4.8 rebs., 2.5 to's (36 mpg)

It's a small sample size, but I'm not sure I've EVER seen such a dramatic difference. I think he needs more time to develop a more consistent game.

I am not giving up on Marvin by any means. But the bottom line is that he has been playing like crap lately and needs to get going.

I don't want to hear anyone talk about how young he is. I cut him some slack last year because he was a rookie but now it is time for him to produce.

There are plenty of young guys playing well right now.