• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $440 of $700 target

If we got the #2 pick....

CBAreject

I would take Kevin Durant. He is putting up close to 24/11 and getting better as time goes by. He could have the most dominant freshman year in my memory before it's through.

I would then trade Marvin/Zaza for as high a pick as possible to get Thabeet or Noah. The #5 pick should be just about right. I'd also do other combinations to get that pick. I would prefer Thabeet from those two because he's a sick shot blocker. He has put up 9 and 10 blocks in games this year, and UConn only plays him 20 mpg. Last night, he played 16 minutes and blocked 4 shots. He's the only center in the country better defensively than Oden.

I would also consider trading up to get Spencer Hawes if he comes out. I would rank him after Noah and Thabeet because he's not as good defensively, but he's still so much better than Zaza.

There are potentially 4 starting centers in the top 10 picks this year. That's not to mention Visser, who will probably be mid-first round or Washington (of Syracuse) who will probably be early-second. BTW, I'm going to make my early 2nd round choice Washington as of right now.

Ideal scenario: tank hard, get #1, draft Oden and line up:

Marvin

Smoove

Oden

JJ

Speedy/Lue

...in this case, I would trade Marvin/Zaza or the Indy pick to move up and get Crittenton if he comes out. He's just amazing (6'5" PG that can score like Francis, but he's too unselfish!)

Other very good scenario: tank hard, get #2, draft Durant, trade MW/Zaza for Thabeet, and line up

Smoove

Durant

Thabeet

JJ

Speedy/Lue

trade Speedy/Indy pick to move up and get Crittenton, still.

Not too bad scenario: tank hard, get #3, draft Thabeet, and line up

Marvin

Smoove

Thabeet

JJ

Speedy/Lue

Still move up to get Crittenton with some combo

Suck scenarios: tank and still get #4, win a few meaningless games and get #6 or #7

After any of the above, fire Woodson.

I think too much youth is a bad thing. Young teams just don't win in the NBA. One rookie stud would be more then enough. For example, if the Hawks landed Oden, trade some combination of Marvin, Zaza, Salim, Lue and the Indy pick for a solid veteran point guard. Andre Miller would be great. Final piece would be a legit veteran big man along the lines of a P.J. Brown, just to set the tone for the young guys. Add a good coach and you have a potential 50 game winner:

Andre Miller/Speedy Claxton

Joe Johnson/Josh Childress/Dijon Thompson

Josh Smith/Josh Childress

Sheldon Williams/P.J. Brown

Greg Oden/Solomon Jones/Esteban Batista

I like that trade for Miller. I've been wanting to get him for some time. I think Philly is blowing it up and starting over, so they might trade him for all that youth.

A front-court of Oden, Shelden, Smoove would be just sick defensively. The identity of the Hawks would be you get no lay-ups, and no offensive rebounds when you play us.

Exactly. And the Veteran backcourt - two guys who know how to set-up their teammates - would just be such a boon to the young frontline. Miller would create easy scoring opportunities for Smoove, Sheldon and Oden. Both Miller and JJ are unselfish and yet have effective offensive games.

In other words, the veteran backcourt makes all the decisions and gets the young athletes the ball in position to make plays.

That would be a really strong team right out of the gate and would only get better over the ensuing years.

Quote:

Ideal scenario: tank hard, get #1, draft Oden and line up:

...in this case, I would trade Marvin/Zaza or the Indy pick to move up and get Crittenton if he comes out. He's just amazing (6'5" PG that can score like Francis, but he's too unselfish!)

Excellent scenario. If Crittenton comes out this year, he might be available at Indy's pick. Not likely but might. His 6 APG are almost shocking given his size and being a freshman.

Quote:

Other very good scenario: tank hard, get #2, draft Durant, trade MW/Zaza for Thabeet, and line up

trade Speedy/Indy pick to move up and get Crittenton, still.

I believe this is an even better scenario but less likely just because it entales more moves.

Quote:

Not too bad scenario: tank hard, get #3, draft Thabeet, and line up

Still move up to get Crittenton with some combo

FAR better than any other non-tank scenario.

Quote:

After any of the above, fire Woodson.

Yep.

Good plans all around. I wouldn't have thought Crittenton. Just haven't thought about him coming out, but who knows there may be a mass exodus of players this year, all forced to go to one year of college. He might even make me forget about Paul/Deron...please, let me forget.

W

Quote:

I can't stand Noah, he has bust written all over him. He may be a decent shotblocker in the NBA but that's it. He can't even score in college, and he's weak as a fly, he shouldn't even be in the top 10 IMO.

i'm not in love with noah either. i don't think he will be a bust, but i feel horford will be a better player in the nba.

Quote:

I can't stand Noah, he has bust written all over him. He may be a decent shotblocker in the NBA but that's it. He can't even score in college, and he's weak as a fly, he shouldn't even be in the top 10 IMO.

I think he is just a weak 4 as opposed to a 5, basically a weaker version of Varejo.

I am not as sour on Noah as others because he does have good athletic ability and is a very good passer for a gig man. Smarts and athleticism in a 7' package can go a long way.

If he is out of the top five by the time of the draft so be it, but he would be a huge upgrade for the Hawks.

• Premium Member

Quote:

Javaris Will come out and the Hawks need to get him for sure.

I haven't heard anything about him coming out, but if he does GET HIM. I'm kind of a homer when it comes to GT players but this guy is really good. Usually when I hear of a tall PG, he's always an SG who can handle the ball and pass a little bit. Javaris is an actual PG. If BK is still here by the time of the draft, I can guarantee that this guy will be a Hawk next season. This is the guy he's been waiting for. Imagine if we could come out of this draft with Oden/Thabeet and Crittenton/James/Steele. That would probably be the best Hawks draft ever. By far.

Beyond Oden it is way too early to speculate about who will go two and three. There are several young bigs that take time to come around and could move up. If we drafted Durant I'd be in favor of trading Marvin.

A kid who seems to be coming into his own is Spencer Hawes. Read an interview and he has a lot maturity and likes to play with his back to the basket.

I've seen Hawes play about 6 times this season. Got excited when I saw the 7-footer bring the ball up the court on a fast break, go behind his back, and finish with a left handed hook banked off the top of the board. Great technique. His uncle, Steve Hawes, was a center for the Hawks and his training really shows. Plays well with his back to the basket. But then last night he got shutdown by Stanford, so I don't know if he's really ready yet. He's still just a freshman. Very skinny, but has a nasty attitude when challenged - a good thing. Great passer and has good inside moves. More offensive than defensive so far. Getting better each game, so I think we'll have to wait to the end of the season to see how he is doing. He may play college another year.

Jarvis C. has looked way better at Tech as a "true" PG to me than I expected. I watched a couple of those high-school all-star games and he looked more like a Steve Francis/Marbury type of PG to me. But he looks pretty good for Tech...playing under control, running the offense, limiting turnovers, making some clutch plays.

The only thing about him right now that worries me is his defense and especially his quickness at PG.