Trade Smoove?

Plastic Man

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

• Premium Member

Smoove at least showed TONS of signs that he had the potential to play this way. Marvin only shows that he has the potential to be a good shooter. Smoove showed passing, blocking, good shooting form, athleticism, and the potential to be a game changing defender and a stat guru. That's why I backed him.

But Marvin gives me nothing to back, he just doesn't show potential.

Marvin showed tons of potential in summer league. It's clear that the injury stopped him in his tracks and his confidence has been shaken since he's been back. All summer he attacked the rim, and since he's been back all he's doing is shooting jumper. He hasn't done it in the big league, but we have seen potential in Marvin. Certainly he's been disappointing so far, but he can still be very, very good. Both of these guys are so young. Hell Marvin can't even buy a beer yet.

Both of them would progress so much faster if they started taking it to the hole more often, that's for sure.

It sure has been nice to have Smith back though.

Quote:

Marvin showed tons of potential in summer league. It's clear that the injury stopped him in his tracks and his confidence has been shaken since he's been back. All summer he attacked the rim, and since he's been back all he's doing is shooting jumper. He hasn't done it in the big league, but we have seen potential in Marvin. Certainly he's been disappointing so far, but he can still be very, very good. Both of these guys are so young. Hell Marvin can't even buy a beer yet.

Both of them would progress so much faster if they started taking it to the hole more often, that's for sure.

It sure has been nice to have Smith back though.

well said. marv has shown he can get to the line also. seems like he's lost some of that muscle he showed in SL.

• Premium Member

dude I'm sorry but summer league doesn't count. Of course he looked more in shape, stronger, and took it to the whole better. And I know you know this, but that's because he was playing against rookies and NBDL players who were/are trying out to be the 12th man on any given team.

How long has he been back from injury now? A month?

Marvin cannot drive because he doesn't have great handles, and he isn't quick. It's no wonder that IF he gets past his man he gets blocked about 70% of the time. I would expect to see some moves from someone who was expected to be a dominant scorer in the league and who was a #2 overall pick.

Marvin played good D today. He is 20...he will be fine. I predict a very good second half for Marvin. Of course, he is the first 20 year old with this much game to be written off as a bust. Backing MW is hardly a popular play on this board. But I have been around this game a long time and I think Marvin will be just fine and sooner than you think.

You want a bust? Here is your bust...Shelden Williams, our must have promised player. He sucks on both ends and has no athleticism, and no way to put the ball in the basket. No post game, no face game, can't beat anyone off the dribble, can't jump, is outmanned under the basket...on and on.

Shelden sucks. Period.

Shelden is a better shooter than Marvin from the perimeter and from the ft line. He is also leading rookies in rebounding and is currently 6th in the rookie rankings.

http://www.nba.com/rookies/rankings.html

Tonight he couldn't get any shots with Salim and marvin taking 24 shots between them but he got 5 rebounds in 18 minutes compared to 3 rebounds in 38 minutes for Marvin.

Summer leagues don't prove anything, and that's why I'm not claiming it does. He could be a total bust. But when you say he hasn't shown any potential, you're lying to yourself. And summer leagues do count in terms of showing potential. Especially when you dominate like that. He had moves, he had fire, he had drive, he had determination, he was taking contact well, finishing well. So like I said, he hasn't done it in the big leagues yet, but he has definitely shown potential. The question is whether he'll fulfill that potential in the long run or not.

• Premium Member

I don't agree, the only thing I've seen is potential to be a good shooter..

He can't post up and he can't drive, sure he gets lucky sometimes and makes a lucky shot when he drives, but he's just not quick, not that strong and gets blocked like half the time he drives. I see potential but not potential to be the dominant offensive player that was supposed to be.

Quote:

Summer leagues don't prove anything, and that's why I'm not claiming it does. He could be a total bust. But when you say he hasn't shown any potential, you're lying to yourself. And summer leagues do count in terms of showing potential. Especially when you dominate like that. He had moves, he had fire, he had drive, he had determination, he was taking contact well, finishing well. So like I said, he hasn't done it in the big leagues yet, but he has definitely shown potential. The question is whether he'll fulfill that potential in the long run or not.

Dion Glover dominated in the summer league too . . . so yeah, it doesn't mean much.

Despite the many negative things I say about Marvin, I do think he will mature into becoming a very solid NBA forward - maybe a cross between Rashard Lewis and Reggie Lewis (obviously before he died). Both good player to be sure, but both not exactly the type of guy you build a really good playoff team around.

The reason why Marvin gets so much criticims, at least in my opinion, is because the Hawks drafted him on his potential be be a franchise cornerstone. If he is not going to be that, then it doesn't make a lot of sense to draft him given the existence of 3 first round small forwards already on the roster and the teams glaring hole at the point guard position (and two of the best prospects of the last decade available).

100 games into his career Marvin has not yet convinced me that he will be better then either Smoove or Childress. Hopefully that changes.

I will also go on record as saying that in about a year the Hawks will need to make a decision about their glut at small forward and make a trade to fill the holes at center and point guard if they truly want to compete for a title. You have to deal from your strength, so while it would be a nice fairy tale ending for all three to contribute to a championship it does not always workout that way.

Quote:

Marvin showed tons of potential in summer league.

Gerald Green shouldn't be showing MW up like he did. In fact how many games has MW had this year or last year better than Green's game today. I'm not saying Green was all-world yet but given at 6'8" he weighs 192 lbs and is 2 years younger than MW! No way should he be pimp slapping MW so much statistically.

W

Walter, Joe Johnson was the man who was covering Green most of the game. This is another example of someone either not watching or not paying attention. You want Gerals [censored] so bad? Talk to Joe.

Marvin will be fine but I'm done defending him. I saw him go to the rack several times today and not get obvious calls. He was the only Hawk all day who attacked the rim. The idiot who saif he can't drive? Stupid. Marvin drives as hard to the rack as anybody but won't get calls until he has paid more dues. Shelden sucks and the post comparing him to Marvin just shows how hysterical people get about this topic.

I can't wait for the day when Marvin makes this board eat Shite. Its coming. Please don't compare Sheldens sloppy set shot to Marvins. Shelden was the 5th pick and he is a BUST right before your eyes. And he is 3 years older.

I'm sure fans thought T_mac and JO were busts at this stage...when you draft a young guy on potential you need a little patience. Marvin is a Hawk. He didn't draft himself but he will pay dividends in the near future.

Quote:

I'm not saying Green was all-world yet but given at 6'8" he weighs 192 lbs and is 2 years younger than MW! No way should he be pimp slapping MW so much statistically.

LOL

Try 5 months older. That's right, Green is older than Marvin. Yet you'll act like Green is a raw guy with TONS of time to develop while Marvin is a finished product because you get a boner when you get any occasion to bash Marvin. Nevermind the truth, as per usual. It's more fun to post the same opinion 1000 times in a row.

It's MW that's 6 months older (check your facts), has a year of (major college) experience instead of straight out of HS, and was a #2 not #18 pick!

I repeat NO EXCUSE!

W

Quote:

It's MW that's 6 months older
(check your facts)...

I repeat NO EXCUSE!

Dude you get dumber and dumber by the minute. The sad part is that you thought he was 2 years older. Then you clearly looked it up after I exposed you the first time and you still couldn't figure it out.

Gerald Green was born on Jan 26 1986. Marvin was born on June 19 1986, at which point Gerald Green was nearly 5 months old.

Maybe that's too hard for you.

Gerald Green turns 21 in 11 days. Marvin turns 21 in June of this year. Let me know if you need further explanations to understand.

I might have to start ignoring you again, because arguing with a retard can't be good for my karma.

Quote:

Hey Walter. MW is born on June 19, 1986. GG is born on Jan 26, 1986. Last I check, Jan came before June.

...yet MW was picked 16 draft spots higher with a year more of major college ball. I'm older than MW, maybe I can punk him.

W