• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $440 of $700 target

What are the obstacles to make a trade?

DrReality

There are a number of obstacles we have to face to make a trade. They include:

1. BK is a pain to deal with and will not make any trade easy. After how the deal with Indy went down (over weeks) I think he has developed a reputation that is not favoralbe.

2. Legal woes put constraints on what can be done.

3. State of the AS is one of the least appealing situations in the league. Why would anyone want to come here?

4. Who would want to play for Woody? Many see him as an assistant coach. Not much more.

5. What assets are we willing to part with and how much trade value do they have.

There may be other considerations, but taking all of these factors into consideration, what is the likelihood that we will make a trade by the deadline? Makes me think the odds are not in our favor.

Quote:

1. BK is a pain to deal with and will not make any trade easy. After how the deal with Indy went down (over weeks) I think he has developed a reputation that is not favoralbe.

I don't think this is true at all. The media hates him, but generally speaking my understanding is that other GMs like dealing with him. Also, I think players generally really like him too. Hell Al Harrington is the exception, and he was all buddy buddy with BK until the trade. The general impression I get of BK is that he's really nice to everyone on the "inside" and an @sshole to outsiders, and especially the media.

On the JJ deal, he was trying to hold his word, and Belkin tried to change the terms. On the Indy deal, he was doing them a huge favor as is, and Indy were trying to screw us even more. So he held out to get them to be more reasonable. Sucks for Al, but in the end, he did his job and did what made sense for us as a professional. He's supposedly a straight shooter with other GMs, and has always helped veterans who wanted out go to a good winning situation.

I think BK's reputation with other GM's is a plus. On the other hand, his decision making might be questionable. So far I haven't seen him be willing to trade someone he brought on (save Diaw), and we're at the point where that'll need to happen soon.

The overwhelming problem at this point is the Belkin lawsuit. So far they say that BK can spend what he wants but BK is choosing not to spend. That may or not be true, no way to know from the outside.

Also, I think Woodson is a horrible coach, but he's irrelevant in a trade IMO. Unless you're trading for a star, they don't get much of a say. You need to convince a GM that you're giving him better than he's giving and the deal gets done.