• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $440 of $700 target

Will Marvin Williams ever avg 21 PPG for a season?

Guest Walter

I think it is a valid question. Mind you, I don't think it spells success given the already high production level of Paul and Deron and our needing them more than another Sf, but it is a bare minimum of productivity to be expected.

W

To answear your question:

I don't think he will average 21 ppg with Joe here and we don't need him to average 21 ppg. We need him to be that guy who can take pressure of Joe along with Smoove. He is struggling right now, but he is not hurting the team. He is playing good defense and doesn't force shots. He was 1-8, but he played a nice game overall with 8 reb and 5 assists and NO turnovers.

• Premium Member

He did have 1 turnover actually. But I really don't think he's played great defense, I saw him get blown by a few times.

Either way I'm gonna stop the Marvin bashing for a while, I'll let his play speak for itself..

Quote:

To answear your question:

I don't think he will average 21 ppg with Joe here and we don't need him to average 21 ppg. We need him to be that guy who can take pressure of Joe along with Smoove. He is struggling right now, but he is not hurting the team. He is playing good defense and doesn't force shots. He was 1-8, but he played a nice game overall with 8 reb and 5 assists and NO turnovers.

We didn't draft him 2nd overall to be JS BU (which is what he should be). We drafted him to be a star/superstar (because we all at least knew that Paul & Deron would be career starters in this league if not more).

MW's averages .4 SPG and .7 BPG in 32 MPG. I expect more production than that from "good defense".

I do like the rebounds and assists and if MW's averaged 7 RPG (currently 4.4) and 3-4 APG (currently 1.9), I'd be fine with him scoring 17-18 (playing next to JJ) on 45% shooting. I can live with that even if Paul is putting up 19/9. But he is SOOOOOOOO far away from even that.

W

Quote:

MW's averages .4 SPG and .7 BPG in 32 MPG. I expect more production than that from "good defense".

I really don't want to defend Marvin here, because I'm pretty frustrated with him myself, but come on. Did you graduate from the "JohnnyBravo *law* school of interpreting statistics?" You can't interpret a players defense by impact plays, because a player who never goes for the steal but stays on his man is a thousand times better than one who ALWAYS goes for the steal and gets it 1 out of 4 times and loses his man the other three.

Quote:

You can't interpret a players defense by impact plays, because a player who never goes for the steal but stays on his man is a thousand times better than one who ALWAYS goes for the steal and gets it 1 out of 4 times and loses his man the other three.

....removing impact plays from the discussion (although they are a good part of it)

Effective FG% allowed 50.7% on court, 49.3% off court

Assisted FG% allowed 59% on court, 54% off court

Def. per 100 posessions 108.7 on, 107.3 off

We even defensive rebound slightly worse with MW rather than without him.

http://www.82games.com/0607/0607ATL.HTM

See if you can find a team or individual defensive statistic that suggests that while MW's isn't playing "impact" defense, he's still playing "good defense". I don't see it.

W

It's pretty obvious when people just have an agenda.

They don't care about wins.

They are just attention whores.

As stated, we don't need Marvin to average 20 PPG.

If Marvin and Josh Smith both average 15/7 per game we are in great shape.

Personally I think they both are more than capable of easily getting 20 PPG. They both have that much potential because of their God given talent.

Josh Smith just needs to keep working on his perimeter offense and Marvin on his interior offense.

Quote:

Didn't I hear during the game that his average has gone up every month since he has been in the NBA? If so, that is pretty cool.

I believe that is correct.

He got progressively better every month last year and this year his numbers are up as well.

But of course he's a bust because he's not a superstar or all-star by the age of 20.

"Being a fan" doesn't mean you don't complain about bad players.

MW has been a big disappointment thus far. He's still young, and that's important because it's all we have to hang on to.

If MW doesn't become the co-star with JJ, he was a big mistake.

I'm sure you complain about some players. Zaza? Lo? Speedy? If you do, does that make you "not a fan"? Why is only Marvin protected? Because you put your hopes in him, so speaking against him is heresy?

Quote:

"Being a fan" doesn't mean you don't complain about bad players.

MW has been a big disappointment thus far. He's still young, and that's important because it's all we have to hang on to.

If MW doesn't become the co-star with JJ, he was a big mistake.

I'm sure you complain about some players. Zaza? Lo? Speedy? If you do, does that make you "not a fan"? Why is only Marvin protected? Because you put your hopes in him, so speaking against him is heresy?

How much potential does Speedy or Lo really have?

Are they first year 20 year old starters?

What about Zaza?

Sure Zaza is young as well but clearly he doesn't have the same ceiling as Marvin.

All Im saying is don't write off a 1st year starter who averages 12 PPG and has increased his production every month he's been in the league.

of course he's gonna average 21pts a game, in fact I think he'll average 26-28pts a game when he's at his prime. He's just in a little slump right now, the problem is he shouldn't of been brought along so quickly, he just comes back from injury, and 2-3 games later you want him play 30-35 minutes against starters. What Woodsen should do is let Marvin come off the bench and ply against the second unit, let him build up some confidence, sort of like last year, he started out slow, but he build up his confidence, and when harrington got injured towards the end of the season, and marvin started in place of him, he was putting up big scoring numbers.

Walter, I'm beginning to think that your a one trick pony. This Marvin topic is all you think about. It isn't healthy to let a 20-year old basketball player to dominate your thoughts to this degree.

We all know you hate the pick and the player. You drive this stuff home home every day with stunning regularity. Either two things happen with Marvin:

1. He justifies being drafted at #2 by the Hawks.

2. He does not justify being drafted #2 by the Hawks.

Either way, life goes on. Being obsessed with being "right" is not a good thing. Things play out. Why don't you let them? If MW does, in fact, average 21ppg at some point...you will find something else about him to slam.

Quote:

Walter, I'm beginning to think that your a one trick pony. This Marvin topic is all you think about.

I've posted about the franchise need for tanking, the great play of JS, and in the past moving JC and Harrington to get Bynum, "Why draft SW"?, why not draft Roy, Sene being a better impact C prospect than SW in 3 years, our need for a franchise center if we want to play a 2-Sf starting lineup...

You don't have to like it, but don't mischaracterize it. I have many topics but I will stress the ones I see as important. I couldn't care less about being right. I called JC everything short of a "bust" but now he's my 3rd favorite Hawk because he has consistently won me over. I still think Iggy and Deng were smarter picks (trade value) and appear slightly better ones, but I cannot remotely agree with my "near bust" characterization of JC and love how he plays the game for us.

Anyhow, when I get on a pony, I ride it, but I am certainly no one-trick pony.

W