• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

I will say THIS about Marvin...

flava

even though he's struggling, at least he's still playing basketball...

what i mean by that is even when he's struggling to score, he's rebounding, setting picks, coming off picks, getting assists, trying to play D.

when (and I'm not saying he always does this) J. Smoove or Salim disappear, they disappear. they stands on the 3 point line and set no picks and make no cuts.

DerMarr was the same way, but Marvin isn't - as anyone who watched the last few games will note...

flava

Marvin rebounded well and dished and played solid D, so at least he had that going for him.

But man...what's up with his jumpshot? It's miserable right now.

And every time he drives he either charges, gets stripped, gets blocked, or MAYBE he'll draw a foul...but not that often, and it's always a close call because he looks out of control and overwhelmed but somehow manages to get a guy to bail him out.

I haven't given up on him yet...but it's clear that Paul or Deron would have been the better pick. And I think Marvin is still 2 years away.

During the draft, Marvin's supposed ceiling was unlimited - in fact, his game was compared to KG. I agree, the PG's are playing well and would have met a need, but if Marvin blossoms (which he will), he has a chance to be a superstar. We just need to give him time...

flava

• Premium Member

Quote:

And every time he drives he either charges, gets stripped, gets blocked, or MAYBE he'll draw a foul...but not that often, and it's always a close call because he looks out of control and overwhelmed but somehow manages to get a guy to bail him out.

This is my primary argument against Marvin, it's that he has nothing but a good looking jumpshot, and has no confidence IN his shot right now so it isn't falling.

And you know what I found when proving my point last night? This is the DraftExpress scouting report on Marvin BEFORE the draft. Funny that everything they said is STILL spot on, and he hasn't improved in any of these areas.

Quote:

Offensively, Marvin has only shown that
he can score in one of four ways
: open and stand still jumpshots, lay-ups/dunks and on fast breaks, put-backs and free throws.
Marvin hasn't shown he has the ability to put the ball on the floor and create his own shot consistently
, whether it's driving around a defender to get all the way to the rim or merely shooting off the dribble. If Marvin is going to be a great small forward in the NBA he will need to develop this part of his game. Also,
Marvin has shown no post moves
outside of trying to overpower his opponents with a drop-step toward the basket. When surrounded by defenders in the paint
Marvin often gets his shot blocked
because he has yet to show a jump hook, a fadeaway or an up-and-under move. In fact, Marvin's
best offensive move
in the paint is
trying to get to the free throw line.
He will not be able to draw fouls easily against more experienced defenders. If Marvin is going to be a great power forward in the NBA he will need to develop this part of his game

That sound about right? This was written about 2 years ago, yet NOTHING has changed! Add to that you've got a player who was completely unproven, who came off the bench, and played with FOUR 1st round picks. Add to that we already had 3 1st round SF's AND Al Harrington, and considering our dire need for a pg there were also 2 franchise pg's in that draft. Marvin couldn't even lead his HIGH SCHOOL team to a .500 record!

On top of that, he came into the Atlanta workout OUT OF SHAPE and an inch shorter than reported, meanwhile CP had his BEST workout here. Marvin doesn't even watch basketball on TV, and basketball isn't even his favorite sport. If that doesn't have all the makings of a bust, I don't know what does..

Quote:

That sound about right? This was written about 2 years ago, yet NOTHING has changed! Add to that you've got a player who was completely unproven, who came off the bench, and played with FOUR 1st round picks. Add to that we already had 3 1st round SF's AND Al Harrington, and considering our dire need for a pg there were also 2 franchise pg's in that draft. Marvin couldn't even lead his HIGH SCHOOL team to a .500 record!

On top of that, he came into the Atlanta workout OUT OF SHAPE and an inch shorter than reported, meanwhile CP had his BEST workout here. Marvin doesn't even watch basketball on TV, and basketball isn't even his favorite sport. If that doesn't have all the makings of a bust, I don't know what does.

Man...you're analysis literally scares me. I say we trade him as fast as possible for the Bobcats first round pick. They USED to want him really bad. I wonder if he has anywhere close to the value that he once had.

flava, good observation about marvin. i just finished watching the tape of the game, and the only thing i see him doing wrong, is trying to force things. he's not letting the game come to him and he's rushing shots. smoove used to do the same thing. i'd still like for marvin to come off the bench, but other than his shot, he's playing decent b-ball. the problem with this board, is that they judge a guy from night to night, instead of long term. some people even didn't believe in jj.

You all can write of Marvin all you want.

Just remember the story about a guy named KG who didn't outshine a guy named Damon Stoudamire until his 4th year in the league.

Marvin is in his 2nd year in the league and only his first as a starter. Not to mention the fact that he's not healthy.

But go ahead and write him off.

We'll see how accurate these bust predictions are then.

Quote:

Just remember the story about a guy named KG who didn't outshine a guy named Damon Stoudamire until his 4th year in the league.

The KG i remember averaged 17/8 his second year in the league, shooting 50% from the field.

Marvin is averaging 12/4, shooting 37% from the field.

• Moderators

KG is not and never will be a good comparison for Marvin. If KG the HSer had been in the Bogut/Marvin/Paul/etc. draft, he would have gone before any of them. That was not considered a stellar top of the draft, even though Paul and Deron have proven to be stud young PGs. Bogut is doing about what was expected

Quote:

This is the DraftExpress scouting report on Marvin BEFORE the draft. Funny that everything they said is STILL spot on, and he hasn't improved in any of these areas.

Quote:

Offensively, Marvin has only shown that
he can score in one of four ways
: open and stand still jumpshots, lay-ups/dunks and on fast breaks, put-backs and free throws.
Marvin hasn't shown he has the ability to put the ball on the floor and create his own shot consistently
, whether it's driving around a defender to get all the way to the rim or merely shooting off the dribble. If Marvin is going to be a great small forward in the NBA he will need to develop this part of his game. Also,
Marvin has shown no post moves
outside of trying to overpower his opponents with a drop-step toward the basket. When surrounded by defenders in the paint
Marvin often gets his shot blocked
because he has yet to show a jump hook, a fadeaway or an up-and-under move. In fact, Marvin's
best offensive move
in the paint is
trying to get to the free throw line.
He will not be able to draw fouls easily against more experienced defenders. If Marvin is going to be a great power forward in the NBA he will need to develop this part of his game

On top of that, he came into the Atlanta workout OUT OF SHAPE and an inch shorter than reported, meanwhile CP had his BEST workout here. Marvin doesn't even watch basketball on TV, and basketball isn't even his favorite sport. If that doesn't have all the makings of a bust, I don't know what does..

and I'm talking about your resonse not just Draftexpress.

Of course, the BK apologists will say, "You shouldn't expect a GM to look at the vast catalog of negative facts over (UNC-hype, media darling consensus). I didn't. See."

I remember reading that MW came into his NBA basketball interview out of shape. along with his reportedly not liking to watch NBA basetball, that is a flashing, neon warning sign saying "I'm not only not ready but I simply don't care enough".

I guarantee Paul was ready, eager, and hungry enough. Probably said he'd come in and work the night shift and weekends if only we'd give him a chance. He begged to come here and cried when he wasn't drafted by us. And instead we draft the non-chalant, out of shape, disinterested in NBA basketball MW? I'll never get it.

W