• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $440 of $700 target

Would the Celtics Do Marvin for Al Jefferson????

LastDon

This is a deal that I would love to get done. I would even throw in Salim stoudamire for Delonte west.

I like Marvin Williams and think that he will be a solid NBA player but I just love our combination of Chillz and Smooth the same way I did when we past on Chris Paul to take Marvin. We have to clear this Small forward Log Jam in order to be a better team for the future!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Quote:

This is a deal that I would love to get done. I would even throw in Salim stoudamire for Delonte west.

I like Marvin Williams and think that he will be a solid NBA player but I just love our combination of Chillz and Smooth the same way I did when we past on Chris Paul to take Marvin. We have to clear this Small forward Log Jam in order to be a better team for the future!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

But got alot of [censored] for it. I wonder who wouldn't want Al Jefferson/Roy now over MW/SW? People want to defend BK but frankly I couldn't see building this team much worse with all the capitol he had.

To answer your question. No, we couldn't get the deal done now, especially with Salim for Delonte added. the reason we could have gotten Al last year was an injury which slowed him down and made people get down on his prospects. Currently he's averaging a double double (and he blocks shots unlike some 6'7" Pfs!) in 30 MPG. No way in hell they trade a big guy as young as he putting up those numbers (as big men develop more slowly) for MW. Had we not wasted a top 5 pick on SW I would have tacked on the Indy pick with MW for Al at this point. He's going to be Zach Randolph plus without the headaches. Remember, we wouldn't need a dominate center if we weren't insistant upon playing a 2, Sf starting lineup.

W

Quote:

It cracks me up when people keep proposing trade options where we give up Marvin for somebody good. No team is going to do this unless the good player is vastly overpaid, and they are trying to dump salary. Unfortunately, Marvin is overpaid himself at $4MM a year.

Al Jefferson is a much better player than Marvin who is making FAR less than Marvin ($4.2MM vs. $1.6MM). Why would Boston even consider this trade?

I don't feel that Marvin Williams is a bust I just don't think that he is a guy that can be productive touching the basketball once every 5 trips down the court. If we ran more offense threw Marvin on the block I think that he would be much more productive. The way the offense is design now marvin always rotates to the weak side as a spot up shooter regardless of the offensive set called. We don't have any post players so I just don't see the harm of playing a inside outside game with Marvin on the block like we ran this summer.

Maybe Woody should start Chill and put Marvin with the second Unit so he can be apart of the offense. I think it is obvious that Chill is Much More comfortable playing on the weak side and not having any plays called for him than Marvin is.

I could understand it when the Hawks had lost 10 of 11 and there was no end in sight.

The team that "Billy built" is a bit more complete now that Smoove has returned. it looks good in all honesty.

Marvin is a piece of that team. I think we may be underestimating chemistry with the 2007 Hawks.

Quote:

I could understand it when the Hawks had lost 10 of 11 and there was no end in sight.

The team that "Billy built" is a bit more complete now that Smoove has returned. it looks good in all honesty.

Marvin is a piece of that team. I think we may be underestimating chemistry with the 2007 Hawks.

Agreed on chemistry. I'm anxious to see what they can do with the rest of the season.

the kid probably is facing major adversity relating to basketball for the first time in his life. he was the man in high school. he was the prized recruit at Carolina. he won an NCAA championship while in a backup role on a team that was stacked with veterans. he was the 2nd pick in the draft because most basketball people thought he was the most talented player in that draft.

he breaks his hand. suddenly his shot isn't falling.

is Marvin's identity always going to be tied to where he was drafted?

the team is winning basketball games. i underestimated Josh Smith. hopefully some of you are underestimating Marvin Williams.

Quote:

to make room for starting Shelden Williams who I feel will be a backup big for his entire career. We have to find a way with out salvaging Josh or Chillz.

Smith and Childress are the only players on the team with any real trade value though. They're both good players who are making a relative pittance ($1.5MM and $2.9MM respectively). Joe Johnson would be somewhat difficult to move at $13MM a year (and I doubt you'd be interested in that anyway). A smart playoff contender would actually be interested in Lue at $3.5MM per for the next 2 years, so he could be moved if we wanted to. We might get some interest for Zaza at $4MM per or Shelden at $3MM per. And I guess Salim and Solomon make so little that somebody would bite on that, but we would never get much in return. Guys like Claxton, Marvin, and Lo Wright cannot be moved for value because they're overpaid. There's a rule in life that you have to give up something to get something. If you want to make a trade where we bring in a proven talent with a low salary, we'll have to give up Childress or Smith.

Quote:

Marvin/Salim/2nd rounder for Aldridge/Sergio.

Marvin is financially a wash with Aldridge. Salim is financially a wash with Sergio. So the question becomes all abou the talent level of the players involved.

Aldridge is a PF/C which is in much greater demand than Marvin's position of SF. Aldridge has shown stronger flashes of excellence in limited minutes during his 1st year than Marvin has in his 2nd year. Aldridge's PER is 15.58 while Marvin's is 9.5. There's no WAY Portland is remotely interested in swapping Aldridge for Marvin.

So let's consider the Sergio/Salim part of the trade. Sergio is a true PG with good passing skills and size. He's playing in limited minutes but has a PER of 17.15 and has a shooting percentage of 46%. Salim is a player without a position due to his difficulty in running the point and his lack of size to be a true SG. His only real skill is shooting, which he does very well when open, but terribly when covered. His field goal percentage is a paltry 37%, and his PER is a terrible 8.65. He also plays poor defense although Rodriguez is a defensive question mark, too. So there's also no way Portland would ever be interested in this part of the trade either.

So then you have to consider, is a 2nd round pick thrown in enough to make up the difference in performance between Aldridge/Sergio and Marvin/Salim. The answer is not a chance in hell. 2nd round picks have very little value since very few 2nd round picks stick in the league and even fewer become long-time starters. Quite frankly, I doubt that Portland would even be interested in the deal if we threw in Indiana's 1st rounder.

Quote:

I disagree that Marvin would not have trade value because he is overpaid.

No team should be interested in getting Marvin's current output at Marvin's current price. Any team interested in him would be based on the potential that he will have a breakout season next year and become a good value. We have to be honest with ourselves and assess the realistic possibility of Marvin having such a breakout season. Frankly, I don't see it as likely, and I doubt we could find a GM who'd be willing to take a gamble on his potential by giving up a proven talent.

Quote:

draft is shooting in the low thirties from the field there is reason to be concerned.

It's well below his (short) career average.