• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Marvin Love Thread

thesheedera

• Moderators

Quote:

Marvin need to keep doing the little things such as rebounding,defense, and good passing. Then nobody will have that much to complain about with Marvin. Eventually that shot should start falling.

Agreed. If he can keep having nights with 15 (rebounds + assists) then he will be in great shape.

• Moderators

Quote:

It is how Smoove and Chill did early on in their careers. Neither of them could hit a shot consistently. They found other ways to get involve in the game.

Marvin needs more of it. Smoove and Chill were definitely better at filling up other parts of the stat sheets their rookie years than Marvin was. I also think getting more involved in other areas of the game than scoring will ultimately help his confidence and his scoring.

Quote:

Quote:

It is how Smoove and Chill did early on in their careers. Neither of them could hit a shot consistently. They found other ways to get involve in the game.

Marvin needs more of it. Smoove and Chill were definitely better at filling up other parts of the stat sheets their rookie years than Marvin was. I also think getting more involved in other areas of the game than scoring will ultimately help his confidence and his scoring.

Hmm.. looking at stats, I don't think Chill and Smoove neccessarily filled up the stat sheet a LOT more than Marvin in their rookie years. I also think Marvin was brought a long slower. Here's the per 40s:

MW 13.7/7.8/1.3

JS 14.0/8.9/2.5 (and 2.8 blocks, MW and JC have nada really)

JC 13.6/8.1/2.5

So... not REALLY that far off from each other.

Quote:

Hmm.. looking at stats, I don't think Chill and Smoove neccessarily filled up the stat sheet a LOT more than Marvin in their rookie years. I also think Marvin was brought a long slower. Here's the per 40s:

MW 13.7/7.8/1.3

JS 14.0/8.9/2.5 (and 2.8 blocks, MW and JC have nada really)

JC 13.6/8.1/2.5

So... not REALLY that far off from each other.

1) MW's does not have Antione Walker and/or Harrington taking not only PT but more importantly opportunities from him. MW's is not being brought along more slowly. He simply is developing more slowly despite having an increased role in the game without Harrington and/or Walker to defer to.

2) MW's is a year more experienced than JS

3) MW's was drafted top 2 overall. Not 17. Not 6. #2!

4) The stats you cite do not reflect efficiency which MW is HORRIBLE at! Salim scores 8 PPG but nobody would consider him efficient. They are shooting the same % right now.)

5) MW's wasn't drafted to be JS's equal (wishful thinking, see 4 and consider apparent, significant defensive deficiencies). He was drafted to be a superstar. Plain and simple. To pass over Paul or Deron, nothing short of that matters in BK's defense.

W

I watched part of the Miami v. someone (I can't remember right now) the other night. The announcers brought up that Jason Kapono who is now in his third year has really improved. He was shooting over 50% on his threes over the past few weeks. The consensus is that he just needed to get some confidence.

What does that have to do with Marvin? Well if you watch him you can tell he has no confidence in his shot. If Jason Kapono can become an impact player on offense, then Marvin certainly can, we just need to support the guy.

I like the way Marvin is playing. He's taking some shots, even though they aren't falling. He is playing solid D and getting boards. His passing is very good.

In all, players mature at different rates depending on their personalities. Marvin, IMO, is a guy that is a little slower at developing than some. He doesn't have the chip on his shoulder like Smoove did/does. MW doesn't have the college success of Childress. What he does have are a group of teammates that obviously want him to succeed *see how many high fives and pats he got last night*. I still believe in the guy and will give him another season and a half to show that he can be an offensive force. I think he is a team force right now.

I think the thread was developed for people who don't think Marvin is dog crap. Walter, do you think anyone here misunderstands your position on Marvin?

Is there anything else you want to say about Marvin? Is there anything new or exciting in your daily diatribe?

I have an idea...next time you see a thread with Marvin in the title, see if you can resist and sit it out. I bet you can't do it. I think you are addicted to Marvin.

You should start a group called The Marvin Haters of America. There wouldn't be any money in it but you could certainly kill more time. grin.gif

Quote:

Most young players escalate their play during their third seasons. Childress and Smith are prime examples.

Only the people that don't truly know basketball, don't know this. So many "star" players have shown signs of life at the end of their 2nd year. And by year 3, they're ready to "fulfill their destiny" as a ballplayer.

My only concern about Marvin, is that the Hawks are trying to force-feed him into becoming one of the top 3 players on this team. I wouldn't be mad to see him go to the bench, but I still want him to play 30 minutes a game to get some much needed experience.

But I love the fact that the rest of his game isn't suffering, just because his shot isn't falling right now. All ballplayers go through this at some point in their careers. You just have to fight through it and find your rhythm. When he does, he'll start being a highly efficient player.

You also have to wonder if this is the first time in Marvin's life that basketball is difficult. That is, this maybe the first time that he has had problems scoring. Once he figures out how to make it work, he's going to be a very good player.

• Premium Member

Quote:

You also have to wonder if this is the first time in Marvin's life that basketball is difficult. That is, this maybe the first time that he has had problems scoring. Once he figures out how to make it work, he's going to be a very good player.

That's something I hadn't considered. Very insightful.

Quote:

I watched part of the Miami v. someone (I can't remember right now) the other night. The announcers brought up that Jason Kapono who is now in his third year has really improved. He was shooting over 50% on his threes over the past few weeks. The consensus is that he just needed to get some confidence.

What does that have to do with Marvin? Well if you watch him you can tell he has no confidence in his shot. If Jason Kapono can become an impact player on offense, then Marvin certainly can, we just need to support the guy.

I like the way Marvin is playing. He's taking some shots, even though they aren't falling. He is playing solid D and getting boards. His passing is very good.

In all, players mature at different rates depending on their personalities. Marvin, IMO, is a guy that is a little slower at developing than some. He doesn't have the chip on his shoulder like Smoove did/does. MW doesn't have the college success of Childress. What he does have are a group of teammates that obviously want him to succeed *see how many high fives and pats he got last night*. I still believe in the guy and will give him another season and a half to show that he can be an offensive force. I think he is a team force right now.

You guys are kind of missing the boat on what is Marvin's problem. It's not that he doesn't have any confidence in his shot. People that lack confidence in their shot, don't shoot at all.

His problem is the same problem that Salim is going through. Both of those guys are rushing their shots, instead of taking them in a good rhythm. One of the hardest things to do in basketball, is shoot on the move. And it seems as if every shot that Marvin takes, is on the move.

Smoove used to do the same thing, but he's settled down considerably when taking his jumper. He gets in a nice set position as the ball arrives. By the time he catches it, he's ready to let it fly in a good rhythm.

That's all Marvin needs to do . . slow down before he catches the ball. Salim is the same way. Once both of those guys do that, you'll start seeing better shooting from them.