• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Marvin Love Thread

thesheedera

Quote:

You also have to wonder if this is the first time in Marvin's life that basketball is difficult. That is, this maybe the first time that he has had problems scoring. Once he figures out how to make it work, he's going to be a very good player.

Exactly. You see this go on in other sports all the time. How about that hot shot minor league prospect, who tears the cover off the baseball in AA ball . . . but can't hit a good slider to save his life in MLB. Then, after a year or so, he gets comfortable, and regains his stroke.

LOL . . and who made our schedule for the next 6 games?

I didn't notice this at first, but we have 3 consecutive back-to-back games coming up. I've never seen that before in an NBA schedule.

Quote:

The weird thing is that he seems to jump before catching the ball.

Yeah, I don't know what that's all about. It's like he's hopping into position, then shooting it.

And what irritates me about your "boy" Salim, is that he'll catch the ball and take that one dribble, before he shoots it. It's almost like he refuses to catch and shoot. He has to take at least that one bounce, then let it fly, while leaning toward the basket.

He had a shot last night in which he got a pick at the top of the 3 point line by ( I think Ren ). Salim takes that one dribble around the pick, and lets it fly from 3. Now he could've easily taken 2 more dribbles to get to the top of the circle or even the FT line, but he settled for the 3.

If he'd stop doing things like that, even Salim could turn things around.

TexasPete is right. The initial point of the thread (which obviously only lasts about a post or two) was not to try to make excuses for Marvin, justify where he was picked, claim that he has or has not done this or that. Just a thread to show some support for a player who is currently struggling, and in my opinion also growing, while being the target of a heck of a lot of criticism.

I'm not saying he does or doesn't "deserve" any of it. All I'm saying is I love the player, I have faith in him, and I'm not ready to give up on his potential less than a year and a half into his career.

Go Marv, keep that chin up, keep plugging away!

• Moderators

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

It is how Smoove and Chill did early on in their careers. Neither of them could hit a shot consistently. They found other ways to get involve in the game.

Marvin needs more of it. Smoove and Chill were definitely better at filling up other parts of the stat sheets their rookie years than Marvin was. I also think getting more involved in other areas of the game than scoring will ultimately help his confidence and his scoring.

Hmm.. looking at stats, I don't think Chill and Smoove neccessarily filled up the stat sheet a LOT more than Marvin in their rookie years. I also think Marvin was brought a long slower. Here's the per 40s:

MW 13.7/7.8/1.3

JS 14.0/8.9/2.5 (and 2.8 blocks, MW and JC have nada really)

JC 13.6/8.1/2.5

So... not REALLY that far off from each other.

It is the steals and blocks that MW didn't produce like JC and JS as rookies. I guess I am looking 5 categories deep on this.

I will say that I have loved his improving rebounding numbers and especially assist numbers the last few games. I think that is definitely trending in the right direction.

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

It is how Smoove and Chill did early on in their careers. Neither of them could hit a shot consistently. They found other ways to get involve in the game.

Marvin needs more of it. Smoove and Chill were definitely better at filling up other parts of the stat sheets their rookie years than Marvin was. I also think getting more involved in other areas of the game than scoring will ultimately help his confidence and his scoring.

Hmm.. looking at stats, I don't think Chill and Smoove neccessarily filled up the stat sheet a LOT more than Marvin in their rookie years. I also think Marvin was brought a long slower. Here's the per 40s:

MW 13.7/7.8/1.3

JS 14.0/8.9/2.5 (and 2.8 blocks, MW and JC have nada really)

JC 13.6/8.1/2.5

So... not REALLY that far off from each other.

It is the steals and blocks that MW didn't produce like JC and JS as rookies. I guess I am looking 5 categories deep on this.

I will say that I have loved his improving rebounding numbers and especially assist numbers the last few games. I think that is definitely trending in the right direction.

I love blocks a lot... but I don't think it's an important stat at all. A better stat would be 'blocks that result in your team gaining possession!" Sometimes the most theatrical blocks that send the ball into the seats simply give up an easy bucket on the next play. I didn't look at steals either.

Your point is valid, though.

Quote:

You can't measure the value of a shotblocker just by his blocks. You also have to think about all the shots he alters or prevents.

Yep, and just being present can intimdate those who go in for layups. Good point!

I'm a Hawks fan.

I love the Hawks.

I love Marvin.

Why shouldn't I / He's a Hawk, isn't he!!

He hasn't lost any of those assets that he had when he

was picked in the draft. He's still just a young kid.

If he couldn't / refused to do anything to improve,

then I would start to worry.

So much to learn. Occasionally, a Superman type comes

along in any sport. They are INSTANT superstars.

L> James comes to mind. Yet, great as he is, and I defy

you to argue this, he is a much better player now than

he was when he played his first season.

Marvin will continue to improve slowly. It's not going

to happen suddenly - - forget that. He's a much better

NBA player now but nothing like he will become. He

has a long way yet to go to reach his limit.

Yeah. He's good. And getting better all the time!!!

cool.gifcool.gifcool.gifcool.gifcool.gif

• Premium Member

Quote:

You guys are kind of missing the boat on what is Marvin's problem. It's not that he doesn't have any confidence in his shot. People that lack confidence in their shot, don't shoot at all.

This is not true. When I played HS ball, I was the best shooter on our team. Some games I couldn't get a shot to fall, and as a result my confidence would decline, not on purpose, it just happens. Just like when you make a couple in a row, your confidence increases, you get on fire and feel like you can't miss.

However, if my confidence was low, and I passed up an open shot, the coach would [censored] me out. This is the same situation with Marvin, he's considered a good shooter, and he knows he has to shoot when he's open. This isn't a Boris Diaw situation.

Quote:

His problem is the same problem that Salim is going through. Both of those guys are rushing their shots, instead of taking them in a good rhythm. One of the hardest things to do in basketball, is shoot on the move. And it seems as if every shot that Marvin takes, is on the move.

This is true and I agree with this, and this has led to Marvin losing confidence in his shot. When you miss a bunch of shots in a row, your confidence takes a dive, it's not something you can control, it just happens. This is why there are SO MANY streak shooters(almost EVERYONE is a streak shooter), although some more than others. You just have to create easy baskets and/or free throws to get your confidence back up, which at this point he is not able to do..