• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Marvin's EXTENSIVE game breakdown vs Cats 1/19

TheNorthCydeRises

Since there has been so much said about Marvin and his play, I've decided to do an extensive game breakdown of his night ONLY, on the games that are on SportSouth. If I'm able to tape the game in my area, I'll give the breakdown. Here's how it will go.

Routine plays will be in regular text. They include:

- easy made lay-ups in which no one contests his shot and doesn't come off of an assist.

- missed shots that are fairly good shots

- rebounds in which he's the one that should get the rebound

- deflections that don't lead to turnovers

( basically, I'm talking about routine basketball plays that doesn't necessarily affect the outcome of a game or has a positive or negative effect on a particular possession )

Positive plays will be in bold black. They include:

- good looking made shots

- 3 pointers

- tough made shots

- assists on a play

- plays in which he plays good man, zone or help defense ( this will vary )

- good tough rebounds in traffic ( not routine rebounds )

- deflections that lead to fast breaks

- steals and/or blocks

negative plays will be in bold red text They include:

- turnovers

- bad shots

- missed defensive assignments

- bad fouls

- lazy plays that lead to points or give up points

- other type of negative plays that either negate a possession or leads to a score by the other team.

Plus/minus floor time stats ( as far as team points go ), will also be cited.

OK . . here we go

1ST QUARTER

11:24 - Marvin fights through a pick, but jumps too early. Carroll pump fakes and hits an open 21 footer

10:43 - Marvin defensive rebound

9:56 - Marvin misses 9 foot jumper . . Wallace played good defense

9:27 - Marvin misses 18 foot jumper . . Shot contested by Okafor

8:30 - Marvin misses 15 foot jumper at the FT line left elbow. Shot contested by D. Anderson and Hollins. He should've passed it to Ivey, who would've had a good look at a 15 footer outside the right elbow at the FT line

4:59 - Marvin fouled on dunk attempt by Okafor. JJ made a great pass to find him, and Marvin went up strong to draw the foul. He makes 2 FTs

4:24 - Marvin gets good post up position, shoots a 7 foot turnaround jumper, but the shot goes in and out.

4:09 - On a fast break started by a Salim defensive rebound and push, marvin makes a good pass to a streaking Childress, who lays it in and gets fouled

3:40 - Marvin just misses on a steal that leads to an Okafor easy dunk. If he plays position on Okafor, Emeka is 2 feet away from the basket, and probably makes the shot anyway.

3:13 - Shelden enters the game for Marvin. Hawks down 17 - 12 . . . - 5 points floor time for Marvin and Hawks

2ND QUARTER:

9:45 - Marvin re-enters the game for Shelden. Hawks are now down 27 - 25.

9:15 - Marvin rotates to the weak side, after ZaZa does a terrible job of denying Okafor the ball. Emeka gives Marvin a little ball fake, Marvin jumps to block the shot, and Oakfor just lays the ball in. That was one time in which Marvin was probably better off staying on the floor and keeping his hands up.

8:23 - Marvin offensive rebound

7:57 - Marvin defensive rebound

7:25 - Marvin provides some good help defense on Okafor, which makes him try to pump fake Marvin. This time, he stays on the floor and forces a tough shot, which is blocked by Smoove. Unfortunately, Lorenzen grabs the loose ball, and immeadiately turns the ball over trying to get the ball to Chill.

4:03 - Marvin makes a nice mini-drive from the wing to the FT line. He then kicks the ball out to a wide open Smoove, who knocks down a 21 footer.

3:48 - Marvin foul on Wallace

3:37 - Salim comes in for Marvin. Hawks down 42 - 37. -3 floor time for Marvin and Hawks

( Bobcats go on a 11 - 4 run with Marvin out of the game, extends lead to 12 points at Halftime )

3RD QUARTER

( Score 53 - 41 )

10:55 - Steal by Marvin, who leads the fast break and passes to Ivey, who makes a very tough lay-up. Good looking play by both guys.

7:24 - Marvin gets one hand on a rebound, but Wallace has good position on him and grabs the offensive rebound. He then immeadiately attacks the rim, driving past Marvin and scoring the lay-up. At worst, Marvin should've fouled him and put him on the line. Instead, he kinda backed off and didn't really contest the lay-up.

7:11 - Marvin hits an open 20 foot jumper. The difference in this shot, is that he had time to step into the shot, set his feet, and take the shot in good rhythm.

5:26 - Obviously feeling confident after his last jumper went in, Marvin shoots a 3 pointer after JJ draws 3 Bobcats into the lane and kicks it out to him. The shot was good looking, but it went halfway down, rolled around the rim once, and came out.

2:25 - Good post defense on Hollins that forces a wild miss from him. Unfortunately, the Cats got the offensive rebound ( theme of the night )

1:36 - Marvin challenges Okafor at the rim, after receiving a good pass from JJ. But Okafor emphatically blocks his shot. This was the point in the game in which I knew the Hawks were pretty much done for the night.

:30 - Marvin goes to the bench. Hawks down 71 - 57. - 2 floor time for Marvin and Hawks.

4TH QUARTER]

( Marvin returns to game at 9:04 mark . . Hawks down 82 - 57 )

8:44 - Marvin makes strong drive to the hole vs Morrison to score a nice lay-up. Okafor wasn't in the game.

6:55 - After forcing Morrison to take a contested 20 footer, he and Solomon Jones lazily went for the rebound, which was gobbled up by Wallace. The extra possesion leads to a Carroll 3 pointer.

5:43 - Strong drive to the hole by Marvin past Wallace. He shoots a JJ-like floater in the lane that goes in. Okafor was in the game.

5:04 - Marvin shoots post-up baby hook over Wallace that bounces off the front rim. A good shot from the post that just didn't go in.

4:35 - Nice help defense on morrison to force a 5 foot miss from him.

3:40 - Marvin rotates to help Childress stop Morrison down the lane, who misses the 4 footer. Marvin then grabs the rebound, starts the 4 - 2 fast break, and dishes to Chill for the easy lay-up.

2:47 - Marvin takes a 3 pointer from the top of the arc after receiving a handoff from Shelden. Shot is long. He wasn't quite squared-up at the basket, even though he had time to go straight up and get good form on the shot. It looks like he was drifting slightly backwards as he shot the ball.

2:24 - Exits game. Hawks down 94 - 71. +2 for Marvin and the Hawks.

GAME ANALYSIS

Overall grade: C . . He didn't do too many things bad, he just didn't do too many things great either. Pretty much an average game, even if the FG% was low.

Number of positive plays: 9

Number of negative plays: 5

For him to be effective in a game, I'd like to see him make about 12 or more positive plays in a game, while keeping his negative plays 1/2 of that or less.

Plus/Minus floor time: - 8

That seems to be directly in correlation to the number of offensive rebounds the Bobcats got. Defensively, he played a decent game. Not necessarily a good game, but an OK one. Giving up offensive rebounds killed us last night though.

OK Squawkers. That's about the most unbiased, critical breakdown that you're going to get on this board about Marvin. I'll do the same thing for tomorrow night's game.

What a tremedous effort and breakdown. Thank you.

I won't speak for all those down on MW (and not just Bk's selection of him @ #2), but this...

Quote:

he just didn't do too many things great either

...just reflects why I have issues with MW's play. He just doesn't seem to have any greatness in him. Very average if you ask me.

W

Marvin was hitting his J tonight. And he actually had a nice jump hook in the post. If he can start scoring and forcing the defense to play him it will open things up a lot for JJ and everyone else.

But he has to be consistent with it. One good game out of 10 doesn't help much.

How about the breakdown for Saturday night's game? Obviously a pretty time consuming effort, so thanks.

I finally got to watch the last two games this morning. We still have a serious interior defensive problem, and honestly we had a lot of breaks go the wrong way, but these losses are inexcuseable. We have no sense of urgency in these games.

Loved Marv posting up Carroll, he needs to look for that as often as possible.

Quote:

This takes a lot of time. Thanks for doing this.

Not really. It probably takes about 90 minutes to go through the game and just solely focus on Marvin . . then maybe another hour to type it up, seeing that I can type fairly fast. I fast forward through all of the stuff when Marvin isn't in the game.

When I watch the game live, and not on tape, It makes it that much easier.

Quote:

4:09 -
On a fast break started by a Salim defensive rebound and push, marvin makes a good pass to a streaking Childress, who lays it in and gets fouled

Post of the year Northcyde. Thanks.

Sportscenter may go crazy about MW's dunk on Camby, but Harold Miner could have done that too.

This pass, on the other hand, can only be done if you are gifted. Jason Kiddesque. There are some things that you can teach. This pass wasn't one of those. This pass kind of felt like a soccer pass that only the exceptional playmakers can squeak through. The ball goes through two players to a streaking striker who gets the ball on stride at the correct foot and shoots it for goal with one touch. Very risky but beautiful to watch when it works out. Kudos to Chillz for anticipating it and catching it. Watch it again if you can.

I hated Marvin's body language throughout the game.