• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Is there any way we can get Gasol?

DeacKillsaDevil

• Moderators

BK already got him once, so I hope he is on the phone again. I would definitely trade some of our young SF talent to get Gasol, although Memphis already has Rudy Gay so I am not sure what they are looking for in a deal that we could offer.

JJ and Smoove are the only players I wouldn't give up to make a deal for Gasol happen. I'd give up a Zaza/Shelden/Chillz/Salim package or a Zaza/Marvin/Salim package for Gasol. I would throw in Lue to either deal as well (I'm sure they wouldn't take Speedy at this point).

I think a nucleus of JJ, Gasol, Smoove and Marvin (or Chillz and Shelden) would be pretty solid. We would still need a few pieces but JJ and Gasol would give us two legitimate All Star caliber players RIGHT NOW and hopefully at least one of the others (likely Smoove) would develop into that kind of player.

After watching this season, I have come to the conclusion that we simply have too many young guys on our team. It is hard for the young guys to get better when their teammates are all making the same rookie mistakes that they are making.

I think we need to keep 2 of the young guys (my preference would be Smoove and either Marvin or Chiilz) and package the rest to bring in an estblished big man like Gasol.

The Hawks do not need Gasol that bad. Gasol is not a legitimate center. He is more of a PF than a Center. He can play Center some because he is around 7-1 / 240 lbs. He is very good offensively, but is not supposed to be very good defensively. The Hawks do not need another defensively challenged big man.

• Premium Member

Shelden, Zaza, Lue, 2nd for Gasol..

Then trade Salim and the Indy pick for Jarrett Jack..

Jack/Speedy

JJ/Chill

Marvin/Chill

Smoove/Solomon

Gasol/Solo/Wright

Thats a lineup to be dealt with..

• Premium Member

After reading more about Gasol, I don't want him.

I don't think that he's worth the money and why take on a player who pouts and gives a half assed effort instead of trying to be the difference maker for his team.

Gasol has quit on the Grizz.. That's part of the reason why they are so bad. You can say all the reason why he should be able to quit on his team.. but He's making 12 million dollars. That kind of money is reserved for players who make a difference.

Say No to Gasol!

• Premium Member

For grins...

Let's say we traded Marvin for Artest.

Straight up... Sactown said thank you... Maybe even through in a first.

The question is: Where does Artest play...

SF.

So does that mean we push Smoove to the Pf and play:

Lo, Smoove, Artest, JJ, Ivey as our starters??

I don't have a problem with that... but I just wonder if that's the best thing for Smoove.

Quote:

For grins...

SF.

I don't have a problem with that... but I just wonder if that's the best thing for Smoove.

You ever heard the joke about the 800 pound gorilla? It goes "Where does an 800 pound gorilla sit when it goes to the movies?" I think you know the answer.

Indy was going to play artest at the PF before he went psycho on them, so I think the Hawks could play him there. But it doesn't really matter as there is no way the Hawks will take on Artest. That would just be a nightmare for this team.

Gasol may have quit, but so did Carter with the Raptors and look what he's doing now. I wouldn't mind a trade for Gasol if the price is right (one of our 3 SFs and a Z or a Sheldon).

Actually Diesel, the Griz are bad because they've gone young . . much like we have. And they don't have a consistent go-to-guy to take some of the pressure off of Pau.

Being here in Tennessee, I see just as many Grizzlies games as I do Hawks games. Pau's problem is that he gets frustrated with his sorry teammates when they take bad shots, or horribly miss defensive assignments.

Pau hasn't quit on the Griz. He's very productive night in and night out. But it is demoralizing to know that you're probably going to lose by 10 or more points every night, just for the sheer fact that your teammates can't play defense to save their lives.

Squawkers, I do agree with Diesel in the sense that Pau is somewhat of a whiner. He whines on the court and will whine to his teammates at times. But he does care about winning. Sending him here may put a bad taste in his mouth initially.

Also understand this . . . it is better for this team to trade away that Indiana draft pick, plus guys like a Tyronn Lue and a ZaZa . . than to trade away Marvin or Chill in any deal.

This is another deal in which the Hawks could get away with trading just ZaZa and Lue. But West would never go for that. So adding that 1st round pick that we're going to get from Indiana, may be the kicker in a deal like that.

Lue at the point would be an upgrade from anything they have now. And he might see some value in ZaZa.

But this team has to have depth. We can't trade away all of our depth, just for one good player in the middle. That 2002 - 03 team with JT, Reef, Big Dog, and Ratliff was a pretty decent starting lineup. But the bench was HORRIBLE. So if one of the starters had a bad game, there would be no one to pick up the slack, and the Hawks would lose almost every time.

Smoove and Chill should be untouchable in any deal right now. It's too early to give up on Marvin, so he should be too. Plus, all three provide interchangeable depth at the 2, 3, and 4 positions if need be.

If you deal anybody, it should be Shelden, seeing that we're getting a big back in that deal.

The Griz need beef in the frontcout, and a decent PG, preferably a scoring one.

Lue . . Shelden . . #1 pick from Indiana . . for Gasol.

The Bulls would be nuts to give up either Hinrich or Gordon, so don't expect a deal with the Bulls to get done. But they do have an ace in the hole.

The Bulls have the Knicks 1st round pick this year, as a result of that Eddy Curry trade. So the Bulls may be using that, along with other players, to possibly get a deal done.

Quote:

The Hawks do not need Gasol that bad. Gasol is not a legitimate center. He is more of a PF than a Center. He can play Center some because he is around 7-1 / 240 lbs. He is very good offensively, but is not supposed to be very good defensively. The Hawks do not need another defensively challenged big man.

He's not a legit center, but he is a guy that will shoot over 50% FG in just about every game. And he is a shot blocking threat.

Gasol in the West is seen as a good center that has a few deficiencies.

Gasol in the East may very well be an instant all-star, seeing how there are maybe 2 legit centers in this conference . . and even one of those guys ( Dwight Howard ), could be considered more of a PF than a center.

It would be a good thing for the Hawks to get him. But you can't trade all of your bench to get him. Trade 2 people, and use that Indiana draft pick.

• Moderators

Jamar (Atlanta): Any chance the Hawks can make a play for Pau?

John Hollinger: SHOULD they make a play for Pau? Absolutely. Will they? Of coure not. No moves of consequence will be made until the ownership situation is resolved.

Quote:

For grins...

SF.

i can tell you with a straight face he can play D on a PG, SG, SF, PF.

offensively I don't know alot about his game. as long as he doesn't dominate the ball I don't see an issue. I have seen him create his own shot, ala how Marvin should be playing.