• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Is there any way we can get Gasol?

DeacKillsaDevil

• Premium Member

Quote:

Jamar (Atlanta): Any chance the Hawks can make a play for Pau?

John Hollinger: SHOULD they make a play for Pau? Absolutely. Will they? Of coure not. No moves of consequence will be made until the ownership situation is resolved.

Unfortunately, that's the most relevant thing Hollinger has said in years.

It's sad to say, but my interest in the Hawks is dwindling quickly after this latest debacle.

• Premium Member

Quote:

JJ and Smoove are the only players I wouldn't give up to make a deal for Gasol happen.

I wholeheartedly agree. Plus, the Knicks' pick is no longer as valuable as it was at the start of the season, so the difference between the Bulls' assets and the Hawks' isn't so vast.

I say we offer Zaza, Childress. As much as I like Childress, he is the most the most expendable piece that someone would actually want. Then we run Shelden and Lo Wright at center.

Speedy/Lue

JJ/Salim

Smoove/Marvin

Gasol/Shelden

Lo Wright/Shelden/Solomon

We take the pressure off of Marvin to start and we get the legitimate big second scorer. But of course we know that BK is now where near the phone right now so why bother.

I've been going to most of the games and I'm PAINFULLY aware of what has been going on with the team but I haven't had enough time to post. I'll try to get my detailed thoughts on the team posted in the next day or so. Basically, I'm ready to trade some of the young talent to get a second established All Star caliber player to go along with JJ.

Quote:

Quote:

Jamar (Atlanta): Any chance the Hawks can make a play for Pau?

John Hollinger: SHOULD they make a play for Pau? Absolutely. Will they? Of coure not. No moves of consequence will be made until the ownership situation is resolved.

[/indent]

...for changing sides. We not only won't sigh FAs. We won't make major moves. We simply won't do anything to significantly improve this team as the ownership situation stands and it may go on for 3 more years!

I'm concerned we won't even sign our own FAs. It's that bad. We need top 3 pick help as fans as much as this franchise needs it.

W

• Admin

A package of Zaza/Sheldon/Lue or even Zaza/Marvin/Lue should get him. Don't get me wrong. I am actually one of the pro Marvin guys on this board but if it could get us a player like Gasol then I would pull the trigger.

Imagine a combo of Gasol and JJ. That would be awesome. Throw Smith and Chill in there and we have some weapons.

Eventually our trio of forwards will have to be broken up anyway. Make it count for someone worth investing in. Gasol is that player.

We have the pieces and the room to bring in a second impact player. If its doable then a trade should be made. I would hold onto Childress because of his versatility, willingness to play off the bench and his ability to play sg as well as sf. If the trade is made we should sign Thompson for the season.

Basically our biggest hole will be at pg. I am happy with an Claxton/Ivey combo. Ivey has shown that he can handle extented minutes.

The one question is can Jones step up? Sheldon and Gasol can play center too so the center spot should be okay.

Lo/Jones

Gasol/Sheldon

Smith/Thompson

JJ/Chill/Salim

Claxton/Ivey

Quote:

I don't think so because he wants to go to a contender.

If we could get him, I think it would be an excellent inside outside combo of him and JJ. We definetely have the pieces to get it done if he would be willing to come here.

I do not know what Gasol is making; but the problem is we are not going to trade any of our young (read cheap contracts) guns to get a high priced player.

BK is just to hard headed to make a deal and a good bit scared as well. Old poker saying I am reminded of, "scared money cannot win any money". That pretty much sums up our ownership and GM all in one sentence.

We are just going to keep losing like losing teams do and wait for the draft. I would bet good money on that all season long...

• Premium Member

Quote:

I do not know what Gasol is making; but the problem is we are not going to trade any of our young (read cheap contracts) guns to get a high priced player.

Gasol's contract is similar to JJ's. It's fairly reasonable in today's market for an All-Star big:

06-07: $12.4M

07-08: $13.7M

08-09: $15.1M

09-10: $16.5M

10-11: $17.8M

Obviously, the team would be built around JJ and Gasol. You would need one other consistent outside scorer, a rebounding big, and some role players.

It's quite feasible.