• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $440 of $700 target

Are the Spirit REALLY this DUMB?

TexasPete

I know these guys are successful in their "day" jobs but how can this many guys be so utterly clueless about their basketball team? These guys watch this team play every night and must not understand a whole lot about the game. They watch a group of players who are so poorly coached that even an average fan can see they need a change, but they sit idly by waiting for the miracle that never develops. This ownership has literally ruined their collective reputations as owners and there is still nothing that can get them out of this apathetic stupor. They just sit back happily taking the money of their few remaining ticket holders and could not care less how bad they rip off their fans. Arthur Blank has stakeholders...these guys just drive stakes thru the hearts of the fan base. They don't think of making a change in the coaching staff, they don't think about shaking it up with a solid trade, they just keep sinking and their is no telling how low they will go. Just total apathy. They think 3 game winning streaks vindicate coaches and their awful GM. No matter that the team ALWAYS follows their little win streaks with enormous losing skids. You know, the 6 straight, 9 of 11, 15 of 18 type of streaks. But when they win acouple of games in a row...sweet vindication. And the cycle continues.

I have come to the conclusion that with this ownership there is no hope. None. Because there isn't one of these guys who has a clue as to how you build a solid NBA franchise...the kind of GM needed and the quality of coach necessary to get the job done. They watch other well run teams and they don't see the difference. Hawks fans have a major problem and it begins and ends with the Atlanta Spirit. Without the daily blessing of these owners...BK and Woody would be long gone. Its obvious to all except the goofballs upstairs.

If this is what happens when 6 neophytes own a team the NBA should never let this happen again. Nobody's in charge. I wish they would snap a few pictures with the players and their kids...and sell the team to a professional owner.

Quote:

They are this bad and clueless. Don't anyone give them credit for the Thrashers. Thrashers playing well as they are goes to DW and Bob. A good gm and a very good coach.

Exactly

Waddell >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>BIlly Knight.

Hartley >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>Woodson.

No. I don't believe they're THAT dumb.

I believe a great part of the problem is tied up with all

the ownership issues.

One owner has the rest of the owners by the short hairs.

They can really do nothing - he won't allow it. No one

makes a move without his say so, and I'm sure he says

"NO" to any move the others might want to make, simply

because he can. He has the paperwork that says all the

others MUST sell to him at a very low figure OR pay him

at a highly inflated figure.

The other owners must pay all expenses. He's out nothing.

He's trying his best to bleed them dry and force them

to sell everything to him.

If he would allow the other owners to fire the coach &

G.M. and hire new ones, which HE would have to approve,

he wouldn't be out any money. The other owners would

be required to pay the old and the new salaries for all.

Trivia question: Can you name the one owner who has all

this power to destroy the Atlanta Hawks??

---------------------------------------------------------

mad.gif

• Moderators

Quote:

Quote:

The obvious restraints bind the activities of this GM and ownership. Some continually miss the biggest hindrance. The hindrance is Belkin himself.

Yeah right cuz I am sure that Lord Belkin would have such a hard time dealing with the fact that ASG fired BK and Woodson. Give me an effin break!

He can step up and say that he will reimburse the owners for

that money if he wants a change made.

The issue isn't whether he would have a hard time dealing with it.

The issue is whether the ASG would be pouring money down the drain

if Belkin gets the right to acquire the team for a fixed cost.

I am sure Belkin would love to see the ASG fire BK and Woodson and

hire reasonably priced replacements. That doesn't affect the financial

issues that are a result of his play to take over the team, though.

• Moderators

Coaches are, relatively speaking, not a huge expense. The problems

I see in making a change are:

(1) Who in their right mind would come here before the ownership

situation is resolved? (This is the biggie).

(2) Do they believe someone can do better, if not there is no reason

to make a change (I think someone else could do better).

(3) If they have decided tanking is the right option as many

advocate on here, is shaking up the team with a coaching change

the right move?

(4) Are they in that dire financail straights? They have to accept

the risk of losing some money and getting a better coach is the most

cost effective way to improve - if they believe Woodson is the problem.

• Premium Member

Quote:

e are also constantly exploring trades and if we find an opportunity to make our team better, we will do the deal.

The question is: Is that true?

Levenson told you exactly what you wanted to hear. I'm sure that there are some moves being explored. I think they also are probably considering firing Woody every day. However, when you consider it from a business standpt, making any move that cost a lot of salary would be stupid for them to do since Belkin is not participating in the payment and if they lose to Belkin, they won't recoup any of the money that they will spend. I'm sure Lord Belkin is very happy with the things as they are right now. He has the remnant of AS footing the bill and making his team better and he doesn't have to pay one penny.

Until the legal issue is resolved, we are in a holding pattern.

That's why I mentioned us getting Westhead. Like it or not, Westhead is a great option for these owners. He would be cheap. He's a better coach than Woody. These players play a style that would be perfect for Westhead's coaching. Westhead is the perfect transitional coach.

But Grey's right. Belkin has these guys by the short hairs.